• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking adventures in baking

Move this if its in the wrong place. I invented this tonight, and want to get it writ down, before I forget. figured I'd share it, since it has peppers in it. Pictures shortly, soon as the phone battery recharges.

Spicy Cakes

Preheat (toaster) oven to 325 F, on "bake" setting

Dry Ingredients in the large bowl:

1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

about 1/8 tsp cloves

several healhty dashes of mace

about 1/8 tsp Aji Limon pepper powder

Wet Ingredients in the small bowl:

1/2 cup plain soymilk

1/6 cup Bertolli's extra light olive oil

1 large egg

mixed the dry ingredients together, mixed the wet ingredients together, then put the wet into the dry with:

handful of golden raisins

handful of walnuts

All mixed up.

greased a 6 serving muffin pan with bacon grease, and floured it. put equal amounts of better into each, put it into the toaster oven on 325 for 25 minutes.

Its food! Its yummy! -it has Aji limon powder in it because:

I was trying to make a spice cake. I really wanted ginger, and didnt have any. remembered using recipes that were called gingerbread that didnt have any ginger. It must have been hard to get at one time- and the recipes called for black pepper. I was reaching for that- and the grinder was empty- I could have refilled it but I have been using Aji Limon pepper powder every place I had used to use black pepper, so I thought I'd give it a try. Its good!

What I'll do different next time: Use brown sugar instead of white. I was out of brown sugar. also, I'll chop the walnuts finer, and I think I'll put a larger "handful" of raisins in.

and here's the pics!

Disclaimer: These pics were taken with a Cell Phone. I have really poor lighting in my house.

1261620807.jpg

1261621116.jpg

This is really yummy and its really hard to take a pic of yourself with a cell phone!
1261621279.jpg

So you managed to make yourself a good "spicy" muffin with all of your food allergies? It didn't crumble to sawdust when you took a bite? Way to go Celeste.

Hehe... for a moment there I forgot Celeste was a woman and was all like "WTF?!". :D
Looks mighty tasty.

oo, I had them today at lunch and they STILL didnt taste like sawdust! -they are really, really real food that even normal people would eat. HOORAY for Bob's Red Mill and Xanthan Gum! (but if you try this at home, make sure you follow Bob's instruction's on the back of the flour container for using it. The Xantan Gum doesnt come with any instructions, and its really important to get the measurements right!)

With any luck, Paul, I'll get pics at Christmas and can show you a face thats not fuzzy and yellow!

My bestest buddy has said we will bake!

(and, there is tequila!)

Okay, Omri, I forget my name might be masculine in gender in some cultures-funny to me you didnt know I was female :rofl:

Celeste said:
oo, I had them today at lunch and they STILL didnt taste like sawdust! -they are really, really real food that even normal people would eat. HOORAY for Bob's Red Mill and Xanthan Gum! (but if you try this at home, make sure you follow Bob's instruction's on the back of the flour container for using it. The Xantan Gum doesnt come with any instructions, and its really important to get the measurements right!)

With any luck, Paul, I'll get pics at Christmas and can show you a face thats not fuzzy and yellow!

My bestest buddy has said we will bake!

(and, there is tequila!)

Okay, Omri, I forget my name might be masculine in gender in some cultures-funny to me you didnt know I was female :rofl:

Did somebody say Tequila?

Celeste said:
lol, it's not that... I just don't really read any of the names... I kinda memorize how the name looks so I'd be able to recognize, but actually reading and understanding each and every name is a pain. :shocked::oops:

I remember how one time I called you "dude" and someone corrected me, so I did know you're a woman. just forgot.

Did you call me "dude" Omri? I musta missed it! NO worries! musta been funny to see you do th double take!

Mr. Blues, my best friend explained to me that there is a reason they are called "spirits" they have personalities, and like the Good People of the British Isles, they are good to you if you follow their capricious unwritten rules. Her patron spirit is Tequila- and she explains to me that He is a jealous spirit, and allows no dallying with any other. When us girls get together for a spiritual gathering, The patron Spirit attends. "Margaritas" is a ritual, Since Kat has said there will be Margaritas this Christmas day, there were probably be no males in attendance at our gathering. However, I will try to get pics- she has habs, I have to do something with them! look for pics after christmas in the Drunken Chef.

Shalom!

Another jealous spririt is named....Mezcal. It too, like tequila is made from the agave pina. Mezcal is tequila's high school drop out brother and while he is very jealous, he will make you stupid! Tequila and Mezcal can take the most manly of men and in 1...2....3....shots....instant drama queen.!

Muffins look good... and no males because of margaritas? They don't know what they're missing. I love margs. My faves are pomegranate, prickly pear, tamarind, and mango frozens. Bring it on!

Na...I dont know why, THP- its my Okie friends tradition- we dont get out the margaritas until the males are gone. These girls are my soul sista's, even though we have no shared genetic material. For this particular sisterhood, margarita's are a ritual, its a backwoods "religious" thang, I suppose. when we are "doing maragrita's" its important to the spirituality of the event-and I dont think there have ever been more than 3 of us in attendance. Tribal women! :rolleyes:

Of course, if there is a party and she is invited, she has a special igloo dispenser that brings her margarita "pitcher" contribution, and that is prepared according to exact measured recipe. That is enjoyed by all in attendance, and there is no gender discrimination.

Anyway, she allowed me to take pics, so it will appear somewhere else...drunken chef I think!

tain't nuthin' backwoods about gettin' together with your soul sista's for margaritas! That's just hot, blue, and righteous fun! No reason to dumb down the fun by having a bunch of guys around.:rofl:

texas blues said:
tain't nuthin' backwoods about gettin' together with your soul sista's for margaritas! That's just hot, blue, and righteous fun! No reason to dumb down the fun by having a bunch of guys around.:rofl:

Did Mrs.Blues take control of the keyboard again? :lol:

Back