• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Ají Charapita Growdown Throwdown 2024

Do you have what it takes to be crowned the Growdown Throwdown King or Queen in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe I missed something, but you opened up about it after Charapita was "elected", before that you only said "There is still a lot of bad Aji Charapita floating around out there and I need to freshen this inventory up anyway. ---Pictures--- If we decide on them, I have loads of isolated seed stock."

Anyway, I didn't mean to throw stones at you, I just expressed some sort of disappointment here. And even if just one seed dared to sprout today, chances are my season would not be long enough to harvest mature fruit.
I get it. Trust me. It’s challenging. Again, by design. A feature not a flaw. Everyone’s on the same level playing field though, as far as seed goes. The Jan 1 to Jan 1 thing has always been the deal. So northern growers know that by now. I do hear ya though dude.
It's all for fun anyway. :cheers:
Right. Hopefully too many people aren’t giving up yet!

I get it. Trust me. It’s challenging. Again, by design. A feature not a flaw. Everyone’s on the same level playing field though, as far as seed goes. The Jan 1 to Jan 1 thing has always been the deal. So northern growers know that by now. I do hear ya though dude.

Right. Hopefully too many people aren’t giving up yet!
I haven't given up but for some reason it seems none of these seeds want to see my fuckface!

I haven't given up but for some reason it seems none of these seeds want to see my fuckface!
They’ll pop. Just don’t give up on them. After a month, a change of scenery can trigger germination too, so long as you’re not letting them dry out or rot. Either way. You’ll get something. I’ve done nothing more than what you see in my photos. First layer compost, then seed, then vermiculite mulch. Spray with pump sprayer everyday that the verm feels dry. 76-80F

Maybe, but for those who do grow, post and keep this thing alive it's disappointing... If you had asked, I would still have been willing to participate in your germination experiment.

I don't think it was the best move for a Growdown because now most of us won't be able to participate in this year's comp at all. My two cents...

Besides, I'm glad you got some sprouts so you can replenish your seed stocks at the end of the season.
which is why I decided not to participate - I felt as though we were part of an experiment, not just for the helluva it - disappointing all round

Rather than going on and on about it, why not have a little update to find out who has sown the seeds and who has already seen results?
it's like playing monopoly, sometimes it's frustrating but it's just a game/experiment in the end.
Maybe specify sowing and germination times?

84 seeds sowed on April 6, no sprouting yet.

Last edited:
Rather than going on and on about it, why not have a little update to find out who has sown the seeds and who has already seen results?
it's like playing monopoly, sometimes it's frustrating but it's just a game/experiment in the end.
Maybe specify sowing and germination times?

84 seeds sowed on April 6, no sprouting yet.
Already done. I just checked and still nothing🤷‍♂️

PXL_20240411_144323276.jpg

Of the 16 sown, this is the only germination. As mentioned, it came up with a helmet, and in spite of extreme care while removing it, there was a bit of damage. I am just happy it's still going.

My two cents.. it's very funny to watch this contest, not the drama. I think the flaw by design is that in a fair game a player cannot be the croupier at the same time. Each participant should have had only 6 dried berries, to have more or less the same chance of selecting the most viable seedling. To get everyone to agree, the objective could be: will anyone manage to beat the dealer? This is the real challenge! :) This way, the match will be fun and challenging for everyone anyway.

My two cents.. it's very funny to watch this contest, not the drama. I think the flaw by design is that in a fair game a player cannot be the croupier at the same time. Each participant should have had only 6 dried berries, to have more or less the same chance of selecting the most viable seedling. To get everyone to agree, the objective could be: will anyone manage to beat the dealer? This is the real challenge! :) This way, the match will be fun and challenging for everyone anyway.
FYI Rich is always the "croupier" (or at least since I joined) and even if he wins most of the time he kindly gives his crown to the silver medalist evrey year!

As for the drama, I don't recall seeing anything like this in this thread yet. If I hurt someone with my comments it certainly wasn't my intention, but if I did, I'm not really sorry because I always say what I think I should say, so "sorry, not sorry » would apply here and "it is what it is" like @Tinkerbelle would say! This competition is meant to be a battlefield, so the soldiers better toughen up a little if they want to survive ;)

1712940359871.png

Last edited:
Wait! What? Everybody else got 2,000 seeds to plant?

JK Rich. I couldn't resist a little good humor poke.🤣 :seeya:

Here's my update.

Planted 86 seeds on March 10. As of April 10, here's my progress:

1712930562432.jpeg

0/86. Still early. I'll give them time to show themselves.

You should get at least one.

We'll talk about it again when you see 500 charapitas! Just kidding 🤣 I didn't know about the silver crown thing, very kind! have fun 🙂

Croupier?! I always win, but I always loose by choice. Until someone actually beats me, then I pass the torch and they can become host and supply free seeds every year! :beer:

It's their fault anyway! They practically begged for Aji Charapita! I saw an opportunity to make this one interesting, so I took it. Is what it is.

So far, looks like I've got a 4% germination rate at the 15 day mark. No excuses. Everyone should get at least ONE seedling out of those 6 berries I sent in each pack. This is why I implored everyone to sow them all.

James Franco Flirt GIF

Last edited:
Back