• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Aji Lemon Jelly

I've been meaning to put this up for a bit. I've made two batches of this using what burpee sold as "Hot Lemon Peppers," I think they are also Lemon Drop peppers. Anyway, the heat carries through nicely. This is just a tweak off a hot pepper jelly recipe found in the Ball Blue Book on canning.

Aji Lemon Jelly

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb. Hot Lemon peppers stems and seeds removed
  • 2 pouches of liquid pectin (I used Certo)
  • 2 cups of Lemon juice, divided
  • yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 6 cups of sugar
Instructions:
  • puree peppers and one cup of the lemon juice in a food processor.
  • Combine the puree, the remaining cup of lemon juice and the sugar in a large saucepot (make it big enough to avoid boiling over).
  • Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes stirring constantly.
  • Add liquid pectin
  • Bring back to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly
  • Remove from heat. Add a few drops of food coloring.
  • Ladle into hot jars
  • Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath
Here's a shot of processing the aji lemon peppers:

chopping.jpg

Here is the lemon pepper, lemon juice, sugar cooking before pectin was added:

lemoncooking.jpg

And the finished product on the right:

jelly.jpg

And if you liked this recipe, check out my Peach Habanero jelly, Hot Cherry-Currant jelly, or Black Scorpion jelly!

chsy83 said:
Planning on making a red brain or butch t jelly next.
Good luck - let me know how it turns out. The Black Scorpion Jelly I linked after the recipe on this thread was good, but very hot. So depending on what you're looking for, that recipe may give you some proportions. Are you planning on mixing the peppers with any fruit at all?

Pulpiteer said:
Good luck - let me know how it turns out. The Black Scorpion Jelly I linked after the recipe on this thread was good, but very hot. So depending on what you're looking for, that recipe may give you some proportions. Are you planning on mixing the peppers with any fruit at all?

I was actually thinking of blackberries, I hadn't read your black scorpion recipe yet, until just now.

It was a good flavor blend. I think the darker blackberries go well with the stronger red superhots. And it's real fun to make it really hot and let people try.

I'm planning on making this recipe tomorrow, but I don't have a water bath canner. Is it ok to put the jelly straight into sterilised jars, then keep it refrigerated? 

Just a thought, I looked at the Black Scorpion jelly that Pulpiteer mentions and since I has just gotten some Black Congo's from Judy at Pepperlover, I used those.  I figure I have about 1.5 Black congos per half pint jar, and I can say that this is a keeper!.   I made some gold habanero jam a while back, and I like it as well, but this blackberry with black congos is great.   I blended it real well, then strained it so it comes out as a jelly.  Looks great.  Until I make much more, this will be my private stash!

Bill

Back