• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Aji Lemondrop x Burning Bush Habanero (Baccatum x Chinense)

Hey guys It's time for an update. I'm back from holidays and found a pod that had gotten knocked off Plant 1 and saw that it was ripening. So I took it inside and it's rapidly changing from dark green to the pale orange colour of the burning bush. I'll do a pod test once it's ripe and also get the seeds started, (if there are any). 

wmV3Y56h.jpg

2k83Mdvh.jpg

I'm hoping that the pod on plant 2 ripens soon as I like the pod shape from that plant. Plant 3 has Lemon drop flowers with the Baccatum green and up right stalks, I'll be curious to see how the pods look over the coming weeks. 

So I cut open the pod but it had no seeds to speak of. I ate it and decided it is in the 120K range with a slow building stingy burn that mostly attacks the back of the tongue. There was a hint of Chinense flavour mixed with Lemon drop but I don't think the flavour is as strong as it could have been had the pod ripened on the plant. The burn is mostly gone after 5 minutes and has moved to the top of my mouth. I'll have to try a pod test again when I have a ripe pod on plant 1. 

Flowers from plants 1 2 and 3 

B44GMQc.jpg

I also tried another pod and I have to say that my original pod test is the same as a pod that was ripened on the plant. The Lemon Drop flavour is a bit stronger and the heat was hotter, more so at the level of the burning bush. I'm not sure I really like the burn and am looking forward to plant 2 and 3 ripening pods.

Here are some more pods that I picked early to encourage the plant to set more fruit. The Red one is a Red Habanero.
LCnxMIP.jpg

peppamang said:
looks awesome. Neat cross. Baccatum flavor or chinense? It looks hab dominant. 
No Chinense flavour at all, it's more like Lemon Drop with an Orange bell pepper twist. The burn is also like a Lemon Drop. 

Plant 3 is Baccatum dominant, 1 and 2 are more hab like in growth.

SpeakPolish said:
Id imagine the F2. To be a bit crazier with all those ressesive traits.
If there are any seeds, F2 should be pretty interesting. I'm not sure if I'll be able to grow enough of them to see all the phenotypes if I plant seeds from all three F1 Phenos. 

In the research papers I studied that combination is almost always sterile but a Chinense female and a Baccatum male is way more fertile. Still few seeds will appear.

SpeakPolish said:
In the research papers I studied that combination is almost always sterile but a Chinense female and a Baccatum male is way more fertile. Still few seeds will appear.
It's certainly looking that way to me. I may have to take pollen from the crossed plants and try recrossing with a chinense. Otherwise these pheno types may have to be cutting only varieties, which is quite common in the fruit tree industry and MMJ industry. I've already taken several cuttings indoors to start mother plants for next year or to use as male pollinators.

Winegums said:
It's certainly looking that way to me. I may have to take pollen from the crossed plants and try recrossing with a chinense. Otherwise these pheno types may have to be cutting only varieties, which is quite common in the fruit tree industry and MMJ industry. I've already taken several cuttings indoors to start mother plants for next year or to use as male pollinators.
Thats the thing, its male sterility. Thats the problem, the female parts of the plant are still fine, the males produce barely any pollen

SpeakPolish said:
Thats the thing, its male sterility. Thats the problem, the female parts of the plant are still fine, the males produce barely any pollen
Do you mean that the plants are producing sterile pollen? Because they've been self pollinating just fine. The issue is there's always failed seed specks in the pods and nothing viable.

SpeakPolish said:
No, if you use a Chinense or a Baccatum plant as its pollen donor then itll be fine, the embryo is self aborting itself because of chromosomal mismatching. http://www.sbmp.org.br/cbab/siscbab/uploads/bd532918-fc44-ea29.pdf. The only hybrid combination with greater than 90% success without abortion is Capsicum Annum var Annum x Capsicum Baccatum. Female is first.
That paper doesn't cover the combination of genetics that I have done. Lemon drop is C.Baccatum var Baccatum, so what I have done is C.Baccatum var Baccatum x C.Chinense.

I'm just going to hope that there's some seeds eventually.

To see whats the problem you need to answer these questions.
1. If there are seeds are they malformed or just not there?
The main problems in the paper were male infertility and embryo abortion. My guess is its embryo abortion.
To stop this you need to take the seeds from a plant before 15 days of fertilization. The seeds might be worse but youll still have them.

I have to say that I'm beginning to like this pepper more and more. The flavour really doesn't mature until the pods are almost over ripe. They have both Chinense and Baccatum flavour that has a slightly floral over tone. They're HOT as well,  getting hotter as the plant matures. Definitely in the Habanero range of heat, dripping with orange oil when cut open fresh.

Back