• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Aji Lemondrop x Burning Bush Habanero (Baccatum x Chinense)

qCawPPp.jpg
wZoHyIj.jpg
NC4ib4J.jpg

Out of curiosity I tried one of the green pods on Plant 3 and it was one of the most fragrant pods I've ever tried. It was already full of lemon drop tang backed up by chinense flavour and aroma. It was also quite hot! instant Habanero heat with a Lemon drop burn that whacks you straight in the front of the tongue. The flavour sticks with you much longer after burn has settled down. I'll now have to wait for it to actually ripen some to get the full experience

SpeakPolish said:
Hope you can produce F2s thats where the fun gets started
I suspect from my research that the Burning Bush is an F1 hybrid that Burpee sells. So I'm already on F1.5? or I'm seeing a lot more cross dominance than I expected. The characteristics of all three plants are quite different which I would expect to be seeing in an F2 generation. 

SpeakPolish said:
That is not how hybrids work. As soon as you hybridize two different varieties you get an F1.
The F1 from two stablized strains should be very consistent and produce the same pod shapes and growth characteristics. If the parents have hidden recessive genetics because they aren't fully stable then there's a problem. This will produce an F1 generation with inconsistently mixed genetics which is what I'm seeing.

If both the parents have a recessive gene and the same one at that then yes itll cause variety. But a lemon drop should get rid of all the inconsistent genes after decades of self fertilization

Good news! I have seeds forming in the second round of pods on Plant 1 and Plant 2. I still might be able to send out F2 pods this fall when they ripen. 

I'll be starting a few of them immediately after I harvest. So we'll have to see. 

There's definite seeds starting and they aren't failed black specks inside the pod so I'm hopeful that they're viable. The true pod shape and size is very different from the stressed form in the first round of pods. 

This pod is one that my dogs knocked off the plant.
PrtrIvFh.jpg

cz2RpC9h.jpg

ZfL4BOOh.jpg

wWaId4hh.jpg

Here's plant 3. It's really pounding out pods like it's mother. The plant has definite Baccatum characteristics and the habanero side of the genetics isn't as prominent. 

The pods ripen from a bright yellow to a pale orange colour and come with an instant burn that is hotter than your typical lemon drop. The soapy lemon drop flavour is quite strong despite being an orange pod, they almost seem tangier than the pods I got off the mother plant. I'd estimate the heat level to be in the Habanero range at least 200K-300K SHU.

The name "Fire Drop" keeps coming to mind when ever I try one of these pods because it's like dropping fire onto your tongue along with the bright orange colour.

o1yCZo7h.jpg

xNEmXl7h.jpg

ieQJKuDh.jpg

M0xITxth.jpg

KAsshWGh.jpg

Winegums said:
I'll be starting a few of them immediately after I harvest. So we'll have to see. 

There's definite seeds starting and they aren't failed black specks inside the pod so I'm hopeful that they're viable. The true pod shape and size is very different from the stressed form in the first round of pods. 

This pod is one that my dogs knocked off the plant.
PrtrIvFh.jpg

cz2RpC9h.jpg

ZfL4BOOh.jpg

wWaId4hh.jpg

Here's plant 3. It's really pounding out pods like it's mother. The plant has definite Baccatum characteristics and the habanero side of the genetics isn't as prominent. 

The pods ripen from a bright yellow to a pale orange colour and come with an instant burn that is hotter than your typical lemon drop. The soapy lemon drop flavour is quite strong despite being an orange pod, they almost seem tangier than the pods I got off the mother plant. I'd estimate the heat level to be in the Habanero range at least 200K-300K SHU.

The name "Fire Drop" keeps coming to mind when ever I try one of these pods because it's like dropping fire onto your tongue along with the bright orange colour.

o1yCZo7h.jpg

xNEmXl7h.jpg

ieQJKuDh.jpg

M0xITxth.jpg

KAsshWGh.jpg
I'd recommend to let it ripen as much as possible if you want more viable seeds since the seeds still form even after it seems ripe. Again don't do it for all your pods, just a couple for seeds

The first true size pod is ripening today on plant 1 and plant 3 has several starting to turn. I'll have some seeds hopefully by the weekend. I'll be starting them indoors so that I can get F2 fruit over the winter.

If I have enough seeds I'll be sending them out after I harvest.

Back