• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs 11th Harvest 09-07-09

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
If this week is the sing of times to come there will be plenty of pods for the AJ household...

got a little over 14 pounds today...mostly annuums still but all the chinense are loaded with flowers...problem is there is no pollen...they are still recovering from the July/August heat...

Harvest11List09-07-09.jpg

090709a001.jpg

pic of a brain strain (Cappy)

090709a005.jpg

pic of a Bih Jolokia (Hippy)

090709a006.jpg

I am going to pickle the Banana peppers and some of the jalapenos mixed with serranos and a few Piqranos....

The fall harvest season is what we all look forward too...I sure am hoping the weather cooperates so I can get another 12 harvest before first frost....

That is what i want!!! I carn't take these harvest pic's no more...is there a trick to make your plants go from 1 inch tall to 3 foot and full of fruit overnight lol.

The beginning of the fall harvest. Care to give us an estimate on what you can harvest in the next couple of months? 80lbs? 100lbs? I'm jonesing to see.

Awesome looking pics! You have learned that new camera well. Now...what a splendid harvest. I think you might have out done yourself from last year. 14 pounds.......

AJ, do you have a recipe for pickling? I've been putting it off as i can't find one i like. i want some crisp pickled peppers.

millworkman said:
Incredible AJ, when is first frost for you?

thanks MW...first frost/freeze is usually the first week of December here...

imaguitargod said:
Great harvest!

Thanks Iggy

NTCHILLI said:
That is what i want!!! I carn't take these harvest pic's no more...is there a trick to make your plants go from 1 inch tall to 3 foot and full of fruit overnight lol.

don't know that trick...that would be too easy...if something is good, it's gotta be hard to do doesn't it? ;)

patrick said:
The beginning of the fall harvest. Care to give us an estimate on what you can harvest in the next couple of months? 80lbs? 100lbs? I'm jonesing to see.

Sept/Oct/Nov last year I picked 160 lbs...I was just looking at my last years records and I picked a lot more peppers in August last year than I did this August...I had a total of ~250 lbs last year and was hoping to get that much or more this year...just depends on what the weather does from now to frost...

Pepperfreak said:
Awesome looking pics! You have learned that new camera well. Now...what a splendid harvest. I think you might have out done yourself from last year. 14 pounds.......

Thanks Pf

fineexampl said:
AJ, do you have a recipe for pickling? I've been putting it off as i can't find one i like. i want some crisp pickled peppers.

I think I have all the ingredients I need, its just me sitting down and getting everything together...I will post my "first pickled peppers" thread this week some time...I definitely will soak the peppers in a cold salt brine solution overnight (thanks Potawie) before pickling and then I am using food grade Calcium Chloride (pickle crisp) along with my spices...will be an experimental bunch...

thanks SS...

we had a pretty cool week last week...highs were low to mid 90s...last couple of days it has been 97 or so but we have a big cool down coming by the weekend with highs in the high 80s...perfect growing weather IMO...our blistering summer heat is over...(fingers crossed)

AlabamaJack said:
Sept/Oct/Nov last year I picked 160 lbs...I was just looking at my last years records and I picked a lot more peppers in August last year than I did this August...I had a total of ~250 lbs last year and was hoping to get that much or more this year...just depends on what the weather does from now to frost...

Geez, AJ, and I thought I harvested a bunch of tomatoes! You picked 410 pounds of peppers!

How much stuff do you have left from last year?

Mike

wish it were 410 lbs Mike, but last years total was about 250...

and I have about 10 pounds of dehydrated pods in ziplock baggies from last year left over...

Nice harvest AJ, I wish I weighed all my pods like some of you guys do but 250 lbs. of chile per year is absolutely insane. You should be one of the more healthier persons alive eating that amount of casicum. No way I get over 100 lbs. which is plenty, I figure 20 harvests at 5 lbs. per. Nice brain strain 7 Pod.:)

wow! Between youself, Silver Surfer, PRF, and Potawie with your mass harvests, you could make enriched uranium seem like marmalade. nice work.

Ballzworth said:
wow! Between youself, Silver Surfer, PRF, and Potawie with your mass harvests, you could make enriched uranium seem like marmalade. nice work.

I haven't been here that long, but I can definitely tell you're new if you rank me in the same class as those elite members you mentioned. :lol:

I appreciate the compliment, but my grow is very tiny in more ways than one in comparison to theirs. Next year I have big plans for expansion, but it may turn out to be equivalent to nothing more than a moy IDS. ;)

AlabamaJack said:
wish it were 410 lbs Mike, but last years total was about 250...

and I have about 10 pounds of dehydrated pods in ziplock baggies from last year left over...

My bad, I misread. But still 250 pounds of peppers is a bunch, probably equal to well over 1000 pounds of tomatoes. And growing them in containers - that's even more impressive, at least IME.

In all honesty, my production this year, with the peppers in the ground, vs last year when they were in containers, is like ten times as much. Granted, I had a lousy mix of stuff last year but I love dirt!

Mike

Back