• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 12 th Harvest And What To Do With Them 08-24-08

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
This is the 12th harvest I have had this year and decided to post some pics of what I do with most of the peppers I grow.

I, of course, first pick them....first picture kinda foggy...lens fogged up on me and I didn't realize it...

082408a001.jpg

Then I dehydrate them...I have found out something....the Excalibur dehydrator is magnitudes better than the other one I have (Aroma) because the color of the pepper stays almost true...the ones in the upper right hand corner were dehydrated in the Aroma and the others were dehydrated in the Excalibur...the ones in the right hand corner are supposed to be that color...they are Pasillo Bajios...the middle group on the right hand side are Cayennes...big difference between that and the lower left picture....Cayennes also...

082408a003.jpg

And I finally bag them....there are 23 varieties here and one mixed bag...I am on my way to chili powder heaven...I can now mix and match the different chili powders to suit my taste...you can't really see the markings on the bags so here is a list...Top Row L => R: Red Savina, Orange Habanero, 3 bags of Anaheims. Second Row: Orange Thai, Jamaican Hot Red & Red Mushroom, Yatsafusa, Satans Kiss, Super chili, Bag of Mixed. Third Row: Pepperocini, Tabasco, Serrano, Hungarian Was, Cayenne. Fourth Row: Criola Sella, Thai Sun, Poblano, Cascabel, NuMex Bailey Pequin. Bottom Row: Jamaican Hot Yellow, Little Elf, Aji Lemon, Pasillo Bajio, Cayenne.

082408a004.jpg

Todays harvest may be totally lost...I am going to try my first hot sauce...I will "Steal" someones recipe and see what comes out...anyone that wants to contribute would be more than welcome....I will probably ask questions about the recipes I find in the correct forum....the bottom right of the first photograph is what I will be using to add heat to the sauce...these are the superhots I picked day before yesterday and added a 2 T. Scorpions and 2 Yellow Habaneros (Annuums) today. I figure if I use a couple of 7 Pots, a Dorset Naga, a bunch of the little white habs, the O habs, and the Chocolate Habs I will have plenty of heat for the amount of sauce I will make....if it is not hot enough, I have tons of O. Habs that just starting to turn that I can pick...

I sure hope I don't bore you all with all my rambling ....... sorry if I do... these Habby Horse Bloody Marys are slipping down real good right now...

thanks Potawie

they had started turning brown and I picked the ones that were damaged by sunburn...I have another crop of them coming off now that I am waiting to completely ripen before picking...

Just so dam,n much there A.J Sauces,Powders,Pickling,Rubs o my god id be in chili heaven..Why cant Texas just be a drive away id bring my home made scrumpy cider and some Jamesons 12 year old scotch and it would be happy times..Damn speechless..to think it seemed 5 minutes since we talked about your DISASTER..Well done buddy your having a bloody fantastic season :)

Wow A.J you have excellend harvest this year you can make hot sauce, make ristas make powder put in jars very impressive my friend.

I only eat mine raw AJ so I wouldn't know what to suggest to you. That's a great harvest. I often find that when you want the chillis they're green and then they all arrive at once. I tried to stagger out starting mine so I'd get a more even harvest but it didn't work out like that.

Awesome harvest AJ. I know I have read in other posts that you are retiring in about a year and that you plan on cutting down on the number of plants you will grow next season. Why am I doubting that, haha. With all that free time I am expecting to see you growing at least 1000.

In regards to the dehydrated pods...Approximately how long do they last for you in that state? I assume all year if you don't eat them before that?

AJ, that is just a beautiful sight! A gourmet selection of peppers! You've done well for yourself! I hope one day to match your results. You've set the goal.

Beautiful pods AJ. I can't wait until more of mine are ripe..have to say the tazmanian habanero is doing a good job of hiding nad turning red. Jamaican Reds are still orange. All that powder is going to be awesome, make a lot of good stuff.

Jackie

Great harvest A.J. All your planning and hard work that you have shared on this forum paid off. Congrats. I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow of my modest harvest.

Thanks all...it has truly been a good year for me even though I have had my share of trials and tribulations..

Josh said:
In regards to the dehydrated pods...Approximately how long do they last for you in that state? I assume all year if you don't eat them before that?

From what I understand Josh, they will keep for several years as long as they are sealed and kept in a dark dry place...

Very nice stuff AJ!

Man...lots of spicy going on.

Oh, here's a very simple hab sauce recipe I found.

Habanero Hot Sauce
Recipe from Season 5 of Mexico--One Plate at a Time

Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
½ cup peeled, roughly chopped carrot (you’ll need 1 medium carrot)
½ cup roughly chopped white onion (you’ll need about half of a small onion)
12 medium (about 5 ounces) orange habanero chiles, stemmed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
About 2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
Directions

Roast the garlic in a skillet over medium heat, turning regularly until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and peel
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot, onion and habanero chiles with the vinegar and 1 cup water. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are thoroughly tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into a blender jar, add the roasted garlic, salt and sugar. Blend until smooth. Thin with a little additional water if you think your hot sauce is too thick. Taste and season with additional salt if you think necessary. Pour into jars or bottles and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to add some dazzle to a dish.

Back