• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

to me, damping off is the same thing as root rot in a mature plant....hot + wet = root rot

did a little re-arranging this morning...144 trinidad scorpion type/7 pot type/bhut-naga type....probably total of 30 different strains...

these are my personal plants....they are growing very fast...the larger plants are 47 days old and the smaller ones are a week behind at 40 days...

the three small plants in the front are galapagense...

02-16-12a004.jpg

won't be long before they hide the shiner...

02-16-12a003.jpg

Nice AJ, Those plants are really healthy and as green as can be!
Amazing what a little lovin will do for the ladies...

Greg

Great looking starts AJ! I personally have one more Fat Tire to kill before I can bust open the Shiner 12 pack...If I didn't have to be up at 03:30 I might be posting in the F#$%^ it I'm Drinking thread later... :drunk: I would wish you luck, but you don't need it! When is plant out in DFW? Mid April?

Great looking starts AJ! I personally have one more Fat Tire to kill before I can bust open the Shiner 12 pack...If I didn't have to be up at 03:30 I might be posting in the F#$%^ it I'm Drinking thread later... :drunk: I would wish you luck, but you don't need it! When is plant out in DFW? Mid April?

I don't know when AJ does it, but my guess is at least two weeks prior to that. Mine is always 3/15, unless there is a visibly cold night on the horizon. This year, I've already got a dozen plants in the ground on a gamble. It's better odds than anything in Vegas except playing blackjack with a disgruntled craps dealer who is riding your big tips.

Yup, mid March is usually just fine here. I get worried though with this nutty winter we have had. Not but like 3-4 days of actual cold. I'm a bit worried that we will get snow in April!

I will start transplanting/moving plants out in late march, but be prepared to move them back in or cover them in case of a heavy frost/freeze...I take my time and usually get about 25 a day transplanted, but moving that many 5 gallon containers sure is a PIA....usually once I get them in place and the fertigation run to them, they ARE where they are...if you know what I mean...

I will start transplanting/moving plants out in late march, but be prepared to move them back in or cover them in case of a heavy frost/freeze...I take my time and usually get about 25 a day transplanted, but moving that many 5 gallon containers sure is a PIA....usually once I get them in place and the fertigation run to them, they ARE where they are...if you know what I mean...

Better safe than sorry...I haven't been in this house at plant out time yet (always on travel)...crazy variations in last frost dates from different websites. Anywhere from now through mid March??? Going to put out a few test plants this weekend and see how they do.
Like I said before I will be retiring in your neck of the woods, so besides you being a plain badass grower that's fun to watch...I am taking notes for my own future reference. Thanks for the info!
Shane

couldn't stand it...to me the oldest plants (seeds planted 31 December 2011) were getting a little large and needed more room than their 3.5" square containers provided so I transplanted 49 to 6" "azalea" pots yesterday...these were all 7 Pot strains....in no particular order..

7 Pot "Primo"

02-18-12aPrimo.jpg

7 Pot "Philliperv"

02-18-12aPhilliperv.jpg

7 Pot "Long"

02-18-12aLong.jpg

7 Pot "Jonah"

02-18-12aJonah2.jpg

7 Pot "Jonah" Improved Strain

02-18-12aImp0rovedJonah.jpg

7 Pot "Infinity"

02-18-12aInfinity.jpg

7 Pot "Brainstrain"

02-18-12aBrainstrain.jpg

7 Pot "barrackpore"

02-18-12aBarrackpore.jpg

three other strains were also transplanted but not shown...

7 Pot "Barrackpore" Chocolate, 7 Pot Yellow "BB Strain", and 7 Pot Brown "Bonnet Shaped"....

I had to put them in my germinator for the night but they will go back in the growbox today...

02-19-12a001.jpg

Very nice AJ. They are getting big! Have you grown Barrackpore chocolate before? I've heard of them, but never seen a picture of the pods. Regular Barrackpore is one of my favorites.

thanks mm....no sir, have not grown any Barrackpore's before but I am growing the regular and chocolate this year...

I started planning this 7 Pot grow early last year...then when Chris had the auction, it made my 2012 season...thanks Chris...

these plants are 50 days from seed as of 19 Feb 2012...seeds planted New Years Eve...moved the ones I have transplanted to 6" pots back to the grow box...I still have at least another 30 days before plantout and I am running out of room...

02-19-12b001.jpg

by the way, I have extras and they are available right now for the locals...will post in seeds/plant section of the forum...the extras are still in 3.5" pots

Very nice AJ, always look forward to the morning updates. Wish the cold would leave now. Its raining alot here in houston and cold as usual.

Looking very nice! I am tempted to take leave and drive cross country to my folks house just to take you up on the plant offer when you post them...well almost anyway. :woohoo:

Back