food AJ's Red

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I made about 3 gallons of chili Friday afternoon and have eaten on it all weekend, even brought some for lunch today.

Recipe follows: Recipe makes about 3 gallons.

4 Lb Chili Grind Top Sirloin
2 Lb Ground Pork
12 Oz Mild Italian Sausage (5 links)
12 Oz Hot Italian Sausage (5 links)
2 12 oz Tubes Chorizo
6 16 Oz cans Hunts Fire Roasted Tomato's
2 Large White Onions Diced
*1 Habanero Pepper
*5 Tabasco Peppers
*6 Jalapeno Peppers
*4 Serrano Peppers
*2 Hot Chili Peppers
8 Tbsp Chili Powder (Home-made from store bought dried Cascabel, Arbol, and Pasilla peppers)
3 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp White Pepper
4 Tbsp Crushed Fresh Garlic
1500 ml (1.5 Liter) Sunset Blush Wine (from wife's Boxo Wine)

* all peppers grown in garden except where otherwise stated

Brown all meats. While meats are browning open tomato's and pour in large stock pot (20 qt) and turn on medium low.

Dice onions, peppers, and add all other ingredients while meat is browning. Note: Only add 750 ml of wine at first and add the rest for the consistency you like.

Add meat and slow cook for 6 hours (I actually leave mine on low for 2 days - helps float the capsaicin).

Burn is almost complete, except no lip burn - will have to add pequin or tepin from the garden this coming year. Front to back side to side top to bottom and down throat a fine warm burning feeling. Is enough to give me the capsaicin rush.

If you try this recipe, Bon Apetite. If you try this recipe and need to get rid of the floaters (because of CASI standards), simply put all "chunky" veggies and peppers in a Cuisenart food processor and puree. Recipe will cook quicker if you do this.

Sounds good I made a chili myself this weekend it just seemed the right kinda weather for it....

Never used wine before always a dark beer ... interesting

hope you had a hand lifting the pot with 9lbs of meat in it Unholy Cow!!!

LUCKYDOG said:
Sounds good I made a chili myself this weekend it just seemed the right kinda weather for it....

Never used wine before always a dark beer ... interesting

hope you had a hand lifting the pot with 9lbs of meat in it Unholy Cow!!!

Thanks, it is good if i say so myself...didn't have to lift the pot...froze 3 Qts after 4 hours, then the wife and I ate about a gallon Fri, Sat, and Sun. So I didn't have to move the pot until over half of it was gone......

There is something about the wine that goes well with all the other spices, probably the sweetness and fruity flavor. The sweetness of the wine probably tempers the heat somewhat.

AlabamaJack said:
8 Tbsp Chili Powder (Home-made from store bought dried Cascabel, Arbol, and Pasilla peppers)

How do you do your own chili powder? I put some habs in a dehydrator, and either didn't get to them quick enough with my mortar and pestle, or didn't dry them long enough. Any tips? Or do you just buy them dried (as you said) and put 'em in a blender?

Oh, and my girlfriend drinks box wine too. :) Thankfully she doesn't get mad when I use it in recipes! hehe

elequin said:
How do you do your own chili powder? I put some habs in a dehydrator, and either didn't get to them quick enough with my mortar and pestle, or didn't dry them long enough. Any tips? Or do you just buy them dried (as you said) and put 'em in a blender?

Oh, and my girlfriend drinks box wine too. :) Thankfully she doesn't get mad when I use it in recipes! hehe

I ran out of my dried peppers so I am using store bought dried peppers...I put them in a coffee grinder and it does very well...The mortar and pestle works but it is work and kinda slow...I really don't think you need to grind it any finer than the coffee bean grinder makes it...MHO

Well, it looks like I am going to get to make a pot of red today that I can make as hot as I want it...wife is going to Chicago to see the new grandbaby girl...forgot to say that I have a new grandbaby girl...first one and she is precious...

anyway, back to the red...

I am going to use the basic recipe on my original post but double the amts of peppers plus add a 7 Pot, T. Scorpion, Bih Jolokia, and 20-30 tepins/pequins...if it is too hot, I will have to make another batch without heat to dilute it...after it cooks today for about 8 hours, I will let it cool overnight, then tomorrow I will warm it back to a boil then put up pints of chili...I figure I will get to put up 20-30 pints...nothing better on a cold winter day than a good bowl of red that is pure fire...

Sounds great! I just made a pot of red last weekend, but would love to have some again tonight!

Congrats on the grandbaby! I'll bet your one proud granddaddy! :)

Chiliac said:
Sounds great! I just made a pot of red last weekend, but would love to have some again tonight!

Congrats on the grandbaby! I'll bet your one proud granddaddy! :)

like I said, she is so precious...her name is Elliana Jane

I found a chili pepper outfit for a newborn on ebay and bought it and mailed it directly to "Elliana Jane"...will get pics of her in it and post them as soon as I can...

AlabamaJack said:
Well, it looks like I am going to get to make a pot of red today that I can make as hot as I want it...wife is going to Chicago to see the new grandbaby girl...forgot to say that I have a new grandbaby girl...first one and she is precious...

anyway, back to the red...

I am going to use the basic recipe on my original post but double the amts of peppers plus add a 7 Pot, T. Scorpion, Bih Jolokia, and 20-30 tepins/pequins...if it is too hot, I will have to make another batch without heat to dilute it...after it cooks today for about 8 hours, I will let it cool overnight, then tomorrow I will warm it back to a boil then put up pints of chili...I figure I will get to put up 20-30 pints...nothing better on a cold winter day than a good bowl of red that is pure fire...
Congratulations on the birth of your Granddaughter, AJ! She'll look like a little angel in that new outfit! No slipping pepper juice to her! hehe

That chili sounds like lava. You're going to be a dangerous man to be around for a few days...

Thanks all for the congrats on the new granddaughter...

JayT said:
Congrats AJ. So how is the chili?

NatGreenMeds said:
That chili sounds like lava. You're going to be a dangerous man to be around for a few days...

The chili was pretty hot yesterday when I ate a bowl, but letting it cook down overnight on low, let me tell you...I think I can see flames coming out of the pot...but I am really enjoying it...I will eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner today....I am going to cook it until noon today then start canning some...

have a great day all....

AJ - do you have any suggestions for me if I were to do this in a crock-pot? Just FYI - "don't do it" is a valid suggestion.

I don't see why a crock pot wouldn't work Klyth...but you definitely would need to cook the meat first IMO...another thing is this recipe is too big for a standard crock pot, you would have to cut the recipe down to smaller size...you definitely want it to be "bubbling" while you are cooking...one of the problems I have when reheating the chili after the first cooking is I have to be very careful not to "scorch" it...

AlabamaJack said:
I don't see why a crock pot wouldn't work Klyth...but you definitely would need to cook the meat first IMO...another thing is this recipe is too big for a standard crock pot, you would have to cut the recipe down to smaller size...you definitely want it to be "bubbling" while you are cooking...one of the problems I have when reheating the chili after the first cooking is I have to be very careful not to "scorch" it...

Always brown the meat first! Preferrably in cast iron.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Always brown the meat first! Preferrably in cast iron.

Cheers, TB.

Exactly....

I'm going to make this tonight for a chili cook-off we're having at work. I'll let you guys know how it turns out...

cool Klyth....good luck

Back