food AJ's Red

since I am not USDA approved I won't...and I am not going to get approved so what I will have to do is just "give it as gifts to friends"....

OH! So Beans aren't Ok but SUNSET BLUSH FREAKING WINE IS JUST DANDY??????? ;)

OK OK. I can see that....maybe. Personally I would use 1500 ml or so of BEER, but I digress.

A little more garlic is needed for my taste too.;)

But seriously, thanks for sharing AJ! I am sure it is good.

cheezy..you are killin' me here...I suppose for a darker taste I could use a Beaujolais...

I have never tried it with beer, but I don't think the taste of sweetness would be there if I did. I just season to taste while it is cooking and you are right, usually, it needs a bit more garlic...

nope, ain't gonna take the bait on the bean comment.... ;)

We have some good chili parlors here in Virginia (Hard Times and Bar J to name two) and when you order Texas Chili, you have to ask for beans. It's made with suet and may be requested dry, medium or wet. Consult your cardiologist on ordering instructions. Great stuff - I could tell some stories. Nice recipe AJ, you are the man. (well, other than the wine part - I know that wasn't your idea)

Oh what have I done?!?!

The wine may be great, but I will probably never know. I would have puked at one point if someone had suggested raisins and pineapple in cole slaw, but damned if it isn't good.

Sweet has more place in food than most of us give it credit for.

Sorry AJ! It takes guts to try something new, and experimentation is the mother of all great recipes.....even if it means adding beans.;)

I keep making this over and over again. The wine really nails it. Then again, I always put red wine in my Bolognese sauce too (after browning the meat, and then I let it cook dry again).

I made another batch today, but because I ran out of home grown peppers, I cheated a little with some Blair's. ;)

I also tend to add a little Tequila. Hey, it's Mexican isn't it?

thanks Wide-O, it's good to hear people like this recipe...you can add virtually anything you want...just the ingredients I use suit my palet, but I am still playing with the home made chili powder...anaheims and cascabels are the base...

you can drink/put tequilla in anything....

I don't really ever make chili the same way or use a recipe, I like to mix it up every time I make it. That's the great thing about chili, so many different things you can do. I like to freestyle it. :D

I usually use some combination of beef, ground bison, sausage, ground pork, ground turkey, ground deer, or occasionally even ground lamb (usually use 2 or 3 of those- careful with the lamb, it has an after taste that can be overpowering if you use too much). Sometimes I'll crumble some bacon into it too.

The canned chipotles in adobe sauce are great for chili. Another thing you can do is instead of grinding dried chiles to make a powder, you can make a paste with them. Just soak them in hot water, then put them in a blender with some of the water or some chicken stock or beef stock. I usually do this with a couple anchos when I make chili.

I use a lot of garlic and put the cloves (with the skin still on) on a baking sheet with the fresh chiles (and tomatoes if I'm using fresh tomatoes), drizzle olive oil and throw some sea salt on them and put them under the broiler until they get soft and roasted. It adds a ton of flavor to the garlic especially if you roast it.

Apple cider vinegar and/or a little brown sugar is good for a little sweetness too. I like to use Mexican oregano as opposed to greek too, the flavor is better imo. A couple bay leaves in the pot is good, bay leaves are pretty much great for just about anything. I always use some ground coriander seed, which isn't too common, but I think it gives it a really nice flavor. If you have a coffee grinder, it's better to buy the whole cumin seeds, toast them a little, then grind them.

Not trying to highjack AJ's thread, just throwing out some ideas. :D

very old thread my friend...hijack away....

Thank you to whoever for bringing this one back up. This is the best chili recipe ever!
I'm going to make it again this weekend. My stomach has been growling for it ever since I saw "AJs Texas Red" on the forum this morning!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

FD

go for it frydad...make a double batch and pressure can the leftovers...it will last a year if pressure canned (if you don't eat it up before)

and Paulky...you are right about the lives of this thread...

I just hope people like it when they try it...

No doubt in my mind AJ. Just reminded me again that I still have yet to make this masterpiece. Will do soon as the frost is on the pumpkin.

Hey JayT...the frost should be on the pumpkin up in your neck of the woods...

with the colder weather (tonight will be the first night in the 30s...38F) the wife said she wanted some good hot AJs Texas Red...

will post shots probably in one of the cooking threads...

I am going to substitute buffalo for the beef...that should make it lean and almost a weight watchers chili...for the sweet wife of course...

This is probably the BEST chili recipe I have ever tried. Thanks AJ for posting it, it has become a staple in my house and I have already made a huge batch of it this season.

Back