AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots in Central Market Stores

I might check the Austin store this weekend curious to see if they have them. Also need to check up on the Defcon products there. I believe it is almost time for Hatch roasting in front of the store there. Trucked in from Messila Valley New Mexico.

Mike

all I can say is that CM is losing their butts if they are selling them for $7 a pound...

Hmmm I wonder if the Dallas store has these? I went last Saturday to see if they had Defcon (they didn't!) but I got a few dried Bhut Jolokia. Maybe I'll call the store later and ask to speak to the produce manager.

Okay so IF I can get some of these at the store, what is the best way to store them? I don't want any going to waste and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them right now. My only plan right away is to taste a slice and then fall to the floor clutching my face!

What have YOU been doing with your Scorps?

Cheers folks!

definitely refrigerate in a dry cold place for longest life...if you are just going to cook with them or make sauces/salsa with them...freezing them will work...freezing them makes the mushy though...and if you want it to last unrefrigerated...dehydrate them, vacuum pack them and there ya go...forever and always...

Okay I called Central Market Dallas this morning and got put through to produce. I asked if they had the Trinidad Scorpion in stock and the guy asked "Scorpion chili's?"....I said yes and he informed me they have about 5lbs in stock.

So I got down there to find a tray full but they looked like they'd been there a while, pretty wrinkly and dry so I just picked out the best 6 or 7 from the batch. They were marked up as $24.99 per lb. My measly batch cost just under $2.50. There was a sign saying hottest in the world and a warning to wear gloves when handling.

When I got back I took a small slice from one to try it....man it was hot! The underside of my tongue was on fire!! But the best thing is that it tastes so much better than the ghost chili which was my last super hot...I found that too much of that would spoil the taste of food.

A job well done Alabama Jack, and to everyone else, if you can get your hands on some....do so!

Just got an email from the SA buyer...he wants another order and they will be delivered to his broker on Thursday, then to CM on Friday and distributed to the regions stores probably on Saturday...will be on my way to harvest in about 2 hours...its a long drive to Rocky Creek, Mississippi...

Well done, Ronnie! 'cause of you, Trinidad Scorpions are now "mainstream". that's God's work right there!

:cheers:

Yea it really is a big thing! I've had em with every meal since I got them!

Sincere congrats are in order.

I'd love to read more about your dealings with CM if you want to share more info. Three years? wow!

Thanks for your work!

Wow! That's awesome! It's so great to hear when somone accomplishes something they set out to achieve!!! Especially in todays doom-and-gloom climate! Any chance you could sell them at Hank's Harvest Foods in Twisp, WA?
I'll put a tooth under my pillow tonight......

Well I visited Central Market again today, they had no Scorps out so I asked one of the produce blokes. He said they had a few left and bought out a box with about half a pound in. I told him I'd take a few and asked what the price was, he kind of guessed and said they were the same as Habs. SO....I got just under half a pound for $3. Not bad! Last time I think I paid that for 6.

I asked if they'd been popular and he said not really, last time they threw a lot of rotten ones away after they'd been out for a while. The thing is these things appeal to chili heads....a lot of people (general grocery shoppers) don't dare to sample such heat and I suppose don't want to pay a higher price for these but at this forum.....we know differently!

Anyway.....I just want to thank and say congrats to Wallie...I feel lucky to have sampled these.

Cheers mate!

AJ, I used your chiles to make a sauce... didn't know they were yours.. small world!

Check out the "Total Scorpion" videos I posted... they are amusing to say the least.

ps., I want to talk wholesale with you for some time in 2012.

thanks all for the accolades about getting into CM...but, I suppose I was a one hit wonder...through mutual agreement, we decided (I did) that I would not supply them with any more...

The logistics of getting the peppers to them was a bit much for me even at the price they were paying...

CM will not have any of AJs Scorpions any more...if you see them, they are not from me...

Back