AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots Registered With The State of Texas

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
Well, I suppose I finally took the plunge and am now legal to sell plants in the State of Texas. I got my tax number this morning.

My first attempt at selling plants/seedlings will be at First Monday Trade Days in Weatherford, Texas, 3/4 April 2009.

I am excited and scared at the same time...I just want to sell some pepper plants locally to get a feel for the business...

Very nice. hope I'm not crossing any lines, but how much did you sell them for? the "age", size of pot and growing medium as well (if possible). only because I'm considering selling some myself.

Thanks for the possible input.

The ones I have sold so far are to people I work with so they get a price of 4 USD each for most of the plants...when I go to the first monday event next weekend, they will be 6 USD...

I sold tomatos, tomatillos, bell peppers, and hot peppers....most were approximately 2 months old...in 3" square containers...the soil is just the standard no fertilize potting soil I get from the local nursery...

I am pricing them according to the seed cost...essentially 10-15X what I pay for the seeds, minimum is 4 dollars...

Well I personally don't need to pay for seeds (For the last two years all I've done was saving seeds), so I'd probably calculate the cost of the pot, soil and resources dedicated to growing the plant (water, electricity and so on). 6USD sounds like a nice profit, good luck with that. if I'd be able to sell them at that price, I'd be the happiest man alive... lol. I'd probably sell them a bit younger for a bit cheaper so the profit would be the same. I've thought about it for quite some time... it's truly inspiring seeing you actually doing it. :)

thanks Omri...the 10-15X is just a guideline for me...if I have seeds and don't buy them, I look at what people are charging for them...example is Bhut Jolokia from NMSU CPI...50 cents each for the seeds, and Burpee Sweet Seedless Hybrid Tomatos...are 60 cents each...

I have calculated all cost out per plant and it comes to about 1.25 each for materials and 'tricity...of course, that doesn't include all my start up cost of the lights, materials for the growbox and germinator, shelving for grow area, greenhouse, etc...I will be able to write all that expense off on my taxes...

Just did some calculating and it seems my hydro plants cost me something like 7.6ILS/1.81USD to 24.45ILS/5.83USD (depends on the actual setup) over a period of two months (including everything). selling those 2-month-old 1.81USD hydro plants for 6USD sounds like a great deal on my end. do you think there's a market for hydro plants?

AlabamaJack said:
...the 10-15X is just a guideline for me...if I have seeds and don't buy them, I look at what people are charging for them...

There ya go! Less engineering and more marketing. Find out what people are willing to pay, especially for the rarer varieties, to set the price points.
Also try some bulk purchase discounts for higher quantities???

AlabamaJack said:
I have calculated all cost out per plant and it comes to about 1.25 each for materials and 'tricity...of course, that doesn't include all my start up cost of the lights, materials for the growbox and germinator, shelving for grow area, greenhouse, etc...I will be able to write all that expense off on my taxes...

AJ,

Counting costs as you did (not including capital investment) I'm at 45¢ per plant, 52¢ if I look at just the plants I hope to sell. IOW, not including the ones I'm keeping for myself, giving away, lost because they did not grow correctly, etc.

Mike

Great news AJ! You'll make $millions$:P

You ever try and figure out the cost of each plant if you add in your labor costs? Don't forget you have to at least pay yourself minimum wage. :P

I hope it all works out for you the best way possible. You might want to pass on giving out free samples though. Unless you run across a masochist. ;)

congrats to ya, & hope the AJsuperhots biz does great for ya!
do you plan on growing some milder chiles also, to cater to those chileheads (or wanna be's) that would also like some mild chiles ?

Thanks again all for the well wishes...

wordwiz said:
How many do you figure you will have available to sell? Mike

I will be taking about 300 to the First Monday event next Friday and Saturday....

patrick said:
You ever try and figure out the cost of each plant if you add in your labor costs? Don't forget you have to at least pay yourself minimum wage. :P

I hope it all works out for you the best way possible. You might want to pass on giving out free samples though. Unless you run across a masochist. ;)

If I figured out how much each plant would cost including my labor and everything I have done for the garden/greenhouse and all, it would probably be about $100 a plant...I don't plan on giving any samples...the wife and I were talking about taking some of my product from last season to sell, but simply I am afraid someone would get it, have to go to the hospital because of the burn (not because of bad product) and try and sue me...

lee said:
Nice AJ, Do you ship to Europe!!

I wish Lee...maybe in the future when I understand all the laws about shipping (both domestic and international) I can start shipping...I am just trying to start small and if I get any bigger, I will have to hire help...

chilehunter said:
congrats to ya, & hope the AJsuperhots biz does great for ya!
do you plan on growing some milder chiles also, to cater to those chileheads (or wanna be's) that would also like some mild chiles ?

thanks CH...I have a full range of seedlings I am going to take with me this coming weekend, the largest numbers will be the superhots....

here is a list of what I will be taking with me...

plantstosell03-29-09.jpg

Create a company pty ltd before you selll your superhot concentrates.
make em sign a waiver and have it witnessed too. For every sale of your paste. Trust me they will buy it. Andit will be the best advertising for your concentrates business.
Infamy simple mans advertising. lol

Thanks for the advice and compliments guys...

today is my first day at trying to sell pepper plants...will be at the "First Monday" event (a huge flea market) in Weatherford, Texas...am taking about ~160 pepper plants or so, ~60 tomatos, ~60 bell peppers, and about a dozen tomatillos...am also taking a bunch of my dehydrated peppers from last season and will be selling them by the ounce....

got my banner yesterday that I will put up...

040309a001.jpg

Back