AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots Registered With The State of Texas

Well, I suppose I finally took the plunge and am now legal to sell plants in the State of Texas. I got my tax number this morning.

My first attempt at selling plants/seedlings will be at First Monday Trade Days in Weatherford, Texas, 3/4 April 2009.

I am excited and scared at the same time...I just want to sell some pepper plants locally to get a feel for the business...

Man, that's pretty great.

I'd havta bet the Tex/Mex atmosphere and love of chili and chiles in your area is driving that. Around here, I'd doubt if I'd sell any as most folks think cayenne and jalapenos are dangerous. ;)

I can let go about another 200 or so...I have made up my mind, whatever I don't sell, I will just grow myself...

The biggest benefit of me selling this weekend was I made a lot of good contacts...several people wanted plants but didn't want them this past weekend with a freeze coming tonight here...

Y'all are making me blush with all the compliments...thank you very much....

wordwiz said:
What were your best sellers? Mike

I actually sold more Bhuts than anything else...sold 12 of them...after that it was the Jalapenos...one guy bought 8 ranging in heat from the Alma Paprika to the Bhut...

Pepperfreak said:
BTW what is going to be your radius for selling and are you also going to be selling fresh pods later in the year?

I will stay very local this year...maybe 30-35 miles. Next year, I want to try First Monday at Canton, Texas ...the largest flea market in the world...the trade days are on more than 100 acres...

http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

as far as selling fresh pods...haven't made up my mind yet but I do know that I would have to have a large quantity of ones to sell...I just don't grow that many of each type except the superhots and there isn't a very large market around here for a pound of fresh bhuts or scorpions...

I would love to go to a flea market like that (biggest) ! By next yr you will have a shop AJ...! Or mini nusery ! They will come to you !
I sell fresh pods here in Australia for $85.00AUD per KG - and they move very fast - ie: I had 10kg delivered this morning and it is gone !
I sell to alot of butchers, pizza shops, and resturants (thai, indian,mexican). W`sale kicks in after 50KG which then it will come down.

Aj i am sure there is a market there you may have to find !!?

AlabamaJack said:
...several people wanted plants but didn't want them this past weekend with a freeze coming tonight here...

Yep. Got down to 30 here last night - and me being all dislocated and stuff only had some tarps etc and passive heat going for me. Here's hoping there isn't much damage. Tring to sell some plants with a sign out on the road now.

I just can't see any viability in a sauce company or a food outlet paying that sort of dollars for fresh.
If you can get them to pay for it welldone. I would think most will by a kilo desseed a heap and pass on seeds to a local grower. Take it while it lasts my man.

there is 2.2 pound to a kilo. its $85 a kilo $100 a kilo on his web, that is not cheap. People will pay it but, its demand and suply once suply catches up down come the price. You pay around 10 to 13 dollars a kilo for habanero here.

YEP - $85.00 PER KG :) - And the demand is such that I put up my Web price to $100.00 PER KG. W`sale (50KG+) is $$70.00 per KG and I still do not have enough to supply current w`sale demand !
MY price will come down with the market, and my supply expands also.
Also for sauce makers Australia it helps with there price point. In way of resale !
Ian

each to their own but I can't see charging anyone more than $6 USD a pound for the exotic peppers...no matter what the market is...

I had a hard time convincing myself to ask $6 USD each good healthy Bhut Jolokias.....

Back