• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Alex_K - 2021/2022

Hi! I'm Alex from Brazil!

Some old members might remember me... I make some seeds exchange here back in 2009.
Had about 40 pepper plants but after the end of the season they suffered from massive whiteflies attack and I lost mostly of them... frustrated I gave up on growing peppers plants but this year I decided to start again I bought seeds from TexasHotPepper, HRSeeds and MK hope this time to be successful.

Yeah my english is quite bad but I hope can understand each other!!! :oops:

For now my list is:

(C. chinense)

Puma
Habanada
Naga BBG7 Orange
Big Olive Mama
Big Mustard Mama (gift)
Jays X Purple
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (White)
BTR Scorpion
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Bleeding Borg 9
Papa Joes Scotch Bonnet
KS Lemon Starrburst
Pimenta da Neyde
Butch T X 7 Pod Jonah Gold

(C. annuum)

Murasaki Purple
Lesya
Thai Hot
Buena Mulata
Thunder Mountain Longhorn

(C. baccatum)

Aji Amarillo
Aji Bodysnatcher
Sugar Rush Peach

(C. rhomboideum)
C. rhomboideum (My precious! :lol:)

Good luck for everyone!!!

gHCbB5.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, @Alex_K - I always get great vicarious enjoyment
out of the southern Hemisphere grows during our Fall and
Winter months. Keep up the good work, bro!

Very nice, @Alex_K - I always get great vicarious enjoyment
out of the southern Hemisphere grows during our Fall and
Winter months. Keep up the good work, bro!
It's practically the opposite, isn't it? When we start our growing season here in the southern hemisphere it is the end of the growing season in the north and vice versa but here were I live the winter is so mild that we can keep our plants outside without worrying about freezing them!

I'll do my best! 👊

That's just not fair, @Alex_K! I dream about living
somewhere I could do that. I'd even willingly battle
the accompanying pests!
Paul...
I don't think you want to deal with pests!
The whiteflies that killed most of my pepper plants gives me nightmares to this day!!!😨
I hope you never go through this!!!
...and you're right pests are more active in tropical countries! Unfortunately! 😭

Lovely to see your plants are doing so well my friend And your first harvest but your blessed been in beautiful Brazil and your long growing times,be nice to see your grow over our Wintertime.🙂👍

So... There are certain things I can never grow here fruits like gooseberry, cranberry, currant, some bulbous flower like tulips, grape hyacinth even mushroom all needs cold climate, species that only those who live in North America or Europe can grow!
In the end there are pros and cons right?🙂

Nice first harvest!

Those C.Rhomboideum will shoot up soon, they are just getting started.

I'd settle for a longer growing season even if not a year round one. Although the aphids seem to still love the heating in my small growhouse, so I know what you mean about pests all year!

I'd settle for a longer growing season even if not a year round one. Although the aphids seem to still love the heating in my small growhouse, so I know what you mean about pests all year!
Aphids, mites and whiteflies must be the trinity of pepper pests here! 😡
Fortunately I don't have any more whiteflies but aphids are a problem, I'm using neutral dishsoap or neem extract to control but I need to be careful to not burn the leaves.

Yes my friend bananas and some exotics I wish I could grow here to and your right let's be happy for what we can grow. 🙂
You right David we grow what we can grow!

I have some native fruits here that are relatively unknown outside Brazil. I'm thinking about opening a thread in "other than hot peppers" section to put everything I grow here besides peppers...

Hi Alex...welcome back...your photos are wonderful & and so refreshing to see at this time as I'm in winter mode here so nothing
growing outside...have a few that are indoors till Spring.
I see you have Rhomboideum,which I've grown ..it is a slow grower...I enjoy the WILD specimen,more of a challenge,but
have grown all types. 2021 was not great d/t the topsy turvy weather...2022 should be better,no 2 yrs alike here.fingers xed.:D

Are you planning on adding other WIlds & what part of Brazil are you growing/wondering if you're near to Guyana...I grow
a few peppers from that country,all very tasty.
Good Luck.:P
Sandy!

Last edited:
Hi Sandy! Thanks to having me back! 😊

I just saw your Glog and wow! you have a amazing collection of wilds! I live in the state of São Paulo in southeastern Brazil unfortunately far from the Guyana border I imagine there must be many interesting varieties there. The wild varieties have always fascinated me for the challenge and also for being so different compared to the domesticated species, the flowers, the calyx, the shape of the leaves and pods... Of course I would love to add more wild species but so far I have only managed to acquire C. rhomboideum and C. flexuosum that have not germinated yet, from here I'm growing only Cumari verdadeira (C. praetermissum) the others are native here but are used in everyday dishes so I think it can't be considered wild.

It's a pity you didn't have a good growing season this year with so many interesting varieties, but I'm sure next year will be better! 🤞

My Cumari verdadeira (C. praetermissum):

gHJ873.jpg

gL1Wco.jpg

gL1jg9.jpg

guw1We.jpg

I don't know what happens here but Brazilians have some problem naming their pepper varieties...
We have several varieties of Cumari pepper, all with different characteristics, some with round fruits, others long, some red, some yellow, some with smooth leaves, others with pubescent leaves, but all called Cumari, the only difference they make is that Cumari verdadeira/Cumari passarinho (transl. True Cumari/Bird Cumari) is C. praetermissum and falsa Cumari (transl. false Cumari) is C. baccatum var. baccatum.
Same to Pimenta de cheiro (transl. Aromatic pepper) we have a wide variety of peppers with that name, the only thing in common between them is that they are C. chinense probably because of the characteristic smell of the species.
In the case of Biquinho pepper, depending on the region where you live, it can be called Biquinho or Chupetinho.
It's a mess! 😖

@Alex_K -Hey, buddy, @Pr0digal_son shared a great resource
with me for identifying and understanding capsicum species.
Lots of dense genetic and botanical science stuff, but the charts,
discussions, and conclusions are very informative if you are
interested in those things. I would love to travel in your part
of the world.

Last edited:
Back