seed-train All aboard ( The next seed train)

I heard back from Tim and its all ok.

Tim Vader

Heating Up
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 170 posts

Sent Today, 12:25 PM
I have not been on here all week. Just finished up my night shift stretch. It's going out tonight, my truck is broken down and I have not had any transportation. My wife is off weekends, so I will be taking her car.

I barely took anything out of the box, much less plan on stealing it. I messaged the next guy after me during the week and told him what was going on.

I have the train still, it's going out tonight. My truck is still at the shop, so I have not been able to get it out.

I have not logged on here since I messaged the next guy in line. I just received bsph message and am responding here as well.

I barely took anything out of the box that was not specifically for me, I am surely not trying to steal it.

Again, I apologize for the delay. I was not expecting my truck to break down and get a $1200 quote to fix it.

Geonerd said:
Chill out, S.P.!

Frustration is understandable, but the accusation is WAY off base.

Chill out yourself, tenderfoot.  Maybe in Arizona and Louisiana, time is not so important in planting, but it is for most THP members with shorter growing seasons.
When the train gets to you (if it ever gets back on the tracks) you will know what a resource it is!

Not responding while HOLDING the seeds for WEEKS is unfair to ALL train riders, particularly those waiting .
The prior riders have invested their time, select seeds and $$$ to increase the enjoyment and value of this train.
The whole concept of the train is to contribute to the THP community.  But like any social 'chain', this train is only as strong as the commitment of the weakest link.  

And YES trains have been hijacked, which has led to some members avoiding them entirely, a shame - 

SanPatricio said:

Chill out yourself, tenderfoot.  Maybe in Arizona and Louisiana, time is not so important in planting, but it is for most THP members with shorter growing seasons.
When the train gets to you (if it ever gets back on the tracks) you will know what a resource it is!

Not responding while HOLDING the seeds for WEEKS is unfair to ALL train riders, particularly those waiting .
The prior riders have invested their time, select seeds and $$$ to increase the enjoyment and value of this train.
The whole concept of the train is to contribute to the THP community.  But like any social 'chain', this train is only as strong as the commitment of the weakest link.  

And YES trains have been hijacked, which has led to some members avoiding them entirely, a shame - 

First off, I have never "not responded" to anyone, I had not been on the boards all week, so its not like I was avoiding anyone, or anything. If it showed that I was logged on at any point, it was more than likely me closing a page on the internet browser on my phone. I am usually MUCH more active here, but the last few weeks were very busy for me. The automatic assumption that I just stole the train was a bit harsh IMO, a simple message to me would have easily cleared everything up if there was such a concern. It was my responsibility to get the seeds out sooner, yes, but sometimes life just up and screws you a bit and theres not much you can do about it. If I'd had transportation to get them out last week, I would have. Hitching a ride to work with someone is much more of a pain than I had expected. I am on their schedule, so when they show up 15 minutes later than I usually leave for work, it leaves me with no time for "stops" of any kid. The fact I was on night shift was even worse because the PO is closed.

BSPH messaged me this weekend, and I responded immediately. I was notified in my email. I do not get automatic alerts whenever someone posts in this thread, so I had no idea all of this was going on.

Anyway, the tracking # is 9114901159815218927175

Thanks to the previous riders for their generosity and I hope I added a few that someone else can really use

Back to the actual topic of the train itself, rather than bothering Tim any more than he needs to be, did anyone see any peter peppers, bubblegum 7s, pumpkin habs or moruga browns on it? All of mine failed to sprout this year and I don't wanna have to order new ones.

Tim Vader said:
I wish you'd said that a few days ago! I have red and orange peters, and a BUNCH of choc morugas!

I sense an opportunity for redemption!  
Send those suckers to the next person in line ASAP!
Doing so won't make you a Jedi Knight, but it might get you out of shoveling Taun-Taun poo for the next 30 years.  :)

Send info later, to blorvak or rebelgrower. The new and updated list is:
soslOw
Judohero
brainstrain
Me
geonerd
blorvak
JoeFish

Tim, you could rush the other stuff along with the train off to soslOw, if he reads it. I put brainstrain ahead of me also, due to weather issues here.

Since people are getting antsy about the imminent growing season, let me ask anyone who's recently ridden the train, 'How big is this sucker?'

Cruzz, would it make any sense to split this choo-choo into two pieces?  Every month or so, both could be routed to a single member who would cross pollinate any missing varieties on one train with seeds from the other.  It would make a bit more work, but would nearly double the delivery capacity.

Another thought was to blend a small dose of geographic proximity into the schedule.  If one of the next few riders lives across the state (rather than across the country), why not send it to him first?  I don't know what the average transit time savings would be, but even if if we save only a single day on every other shipment, that would add up quickly.

Thoughts?

cruzzfish said:
Send info later, to blorvak or rebelgrower. The new and updated list is:
soslOw
Judohero
brainstrain
Me
geonerd
blorvak
JoeFish

Tim, you could rush the other stuff along with the train off to soslOw, if he reads it. I put brainstrain ahead of me also, due to weather issues here.
I had already sent the train so soslOw when I'd read that post. If I get a chance. will just drop them in the mail to him. No promises on a date though, lol
Geonerd said:
Since people are getting antsy about the imminent growing season, let me ask anyone who's recently ridden the train, 'How big is this sucker?'

Cruzz, would it make any sense to split this choo-choo into two pieces?  Every month or so, both could be routed to a single member who would cross pollinate any missing varieties on one train with seeds from the other.  It would make a bit more work, but would nearly double the delivery capacity.

Another thought was to blend a small dose of geographic proximity into the schedule.  If one of the next few riders lives across the state (rather than across the country), why not send it to him first?  I don't know what the average transit time savings would be, but even if if we save only a single day on every other shipment, that would add up quickly.

Thoughts?
 Its a STUFFED SFRB. I agree with splitting the box, there is definitely enough. Why ship from california to FL when you are passing up 10 people in between. Put up the post, get the riders, make stops all along the way. I might even start a train with the stuff I have here just to make some room. I don't have a lot of seeds, but I have quite a few varieties to choose from, most of which I've planted already. A lot of it is fairly common, so it would be a better ride for newer people. 

this train was initially started and was setup to take a smooth location tour... but with the random additions... thats why its scattered... this train is longer in my hands.. rebel.. up to you.. i just like to see it continue

Ok all, just got finished going through the train. The box is PACKED full haha. For those curious there is a good variety for seeds but its heavy on the super hot varieties. I myself added mostly super hots as well but I only added things that there seemed to be lacking or that i didn't see in there at all.  I would suggest people start doing the same as I saw a bunch of repeat varieties with practically full baggies and there really just didn't need to be any more in there haha.  Also, another suggestion to future riders. Labeling your seeds/packets with a sharpie works and looks great when your putting it in, but it wears off after a bit and then you can't read it at all. A lot of stuff in there I didn't even know what the seeds were cause the labeling had worn off.  Get some paper labels and label them that way. Works much better.  Anyhow. I should have the train on its way tomorrow or at the latest Monday.

Back