• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

All purpose miracle gro, ever use it?

DatilDaddy

Banned
Claims to be safe for vegetables but has N rating of 24. Hmmm. Any experience with this or the tomato miracle gro,or just stay away altogether?

I've got a different version of the general purpose one here, lower N in it for sure so I know it's different to the one you're looking at. Mine lists no calcium and magnesium, does yours? If not, I guess it's not for fruiting plants and that's why they have the tomato MG version.

I used to use all purpose miracle grow as a mix due to its relative cheapness and availability in all areas. I mixed it with a similiar sized bag of jungle growth potting soil and some peat and it did fairly well. Also, more amendments can be added to that blend to aid with plant growth (beneficial bacteria, manures, guanos, etc.). When I first started growing peppers, I just used pure miracle grow and I had some monster growth with relatively few pods :mope:.

best of luck.

Fertilize with tomato MG, first app. three to four weeks after plant out (this weekend for me) and about three weeks after that. That's it. Side dress with compost and bone meal mix several times during the grow season.

It's almost heresy say'in that one uses MG on the THP. However; it's cheap, I can buy it anywhere, and does what I need it to do. I just can't quite warm up to the idea of making "fish head" or "worm body" teas....?.....different strokes for different folks.

Fertilize with tomato MG, first app. three to four weeks after plant out (this weekend for me) and about three weeks after that. That's it. Side dress with compost and bone meal mix several times during the grow season.

It's almost heresy say'in that one uses MG on the THP. However; it's cheap, I can but it anywhere, and does what I need it to do. I just can't quite warm up to the idea of making "fish head" or "worm body" teas....?.....different strokes for different folks.

my feelings exactly....I use MG products exactly for the reason they are cheap and easy to come by...IMO, if you have a good soil you can use MG Tomato food through the season. It's 18-18-21 and is perfect for my fertigation system....one box in my 3 gallon tank and sit back and relax while 300 gallons of feed is distributed to the plants...I am giving the plants about 12.8 ounces of food/water three time a day right now....that's about 30 gallons a watering or 90 gallons a day total so they get this food over a 3-4 day period.....like MPG, I feed about every three weeks or sometimes 2 weeks when the plants are producing...if any of the plants need something extra, I treat them individually with Cal/Mag or whatever they need...

What I am trying to do is give the root system a consistent moisture content...the amount of time/water/feed increases as the temperatures rise and conversely decreases as the temps drop...I have found that this consistent moisture level really helps the plants...at the end of season or whenever you want to, you can water stress the plants for hotter pods if you need/want to

oops...got off to ramblin'...sorry

my feelings exactly....I use MG products exactly for the reason they are cheap and easy to come by...IMO, if you have a good soil you can use MG Tomato food through the season. It's 18-18-21 and is perfect for my fertigation system....one box in my 3 gallon tank and sit back and relax while 300 gallons of feed is distributed to the plants...I am giving the plants about 12.8 ounces of food/water three time a day right now....that's about 30 gallons a watering or 90 gallons a day total so they get this food over a 3-4 day period.....like MPG, I feed about every three weeks or sometimes 2 weeks when the plants are producing...if any of the plants need something extra, I treat them individually with Cal/Mag or whatever they need...

What I am trying to do is give the root system a consistent moisture content...the amount of time/water/feed increases as the temperatures rise and conversely decreases as the temps drop...I have found that this consistent moisture level really helps the plants...at the end of season or whenever you want to, you can water stress the plants for hotter pods if you need/want to

oops...got off to ramblin'...sorry

I also like the Miracle Grow Tomato Food for my in-ground plants, for the same reasons listed. Normally I use fish ferts for my plants in pots because it's a little more difficult for animals to dig around them as happens with the in-ground plants.

The only thing to watch is that I don't think most generic Miracle Grow products have calcium.

Never had a problem with MG at all!! I will continue to use MG along with other additives to help it along, but all in all it is good to go from me that is!

I have some of the liquid form Miracle Grow AP and is 12-4-8. I used some three weeks ago and then at the beginning of this week. All of my hot peppers, green peppers and tomatoes are taking off. Everything is looking really green and healthy. I would give it a go.

It's my understanding that most of the regulars here try for more natural products. I don't think MG is very natural and THAT is probably a whole other story. I don't think anyone has ever really bashed MG. It works. It's just everything else that comes along with it.

@spicy...MG was being bashed a long long time ago on this forum....

as far as the 12-4-8 goes...IMO that's cool for vegetative growth, but when it comes to flowering and fruiting you want a more balanced fertilize or even biased towards the P and K like 10-10-10 or 18-18-21

@spicy...MG was being bashed a long long time ago on this forum....

as far as the 12-4-8 goes...IMO that's cool for vegetative growth, but when it comes to flowering and fruiting you want a more balanced fertilize or even biased towards the P and K like 10-10-10 or 18-18-21

Agree.

I use the all purpose 24-8-16 1/4-1/2 strength in the beginning of the season when they are in vegetative growth. Then I use bloom fertilizers 5-15-14 with included calcium when in the reproduction stage. I also use a little MG tomato 18-18-21 in between.

Im using sta green and peatmoss and others sta green / ffof and others just sta green

either or there all doing good. i wont buy mg soil. However i am using mg tomato plant food the pink powder and my plants that i feed that to which are in ground non raised garden love it

The more I've read about fertilizer, the more I've realized that pretty much all inorganic fertilizer components come from the same chemical factories. The ratios and blends vary by the company, but the basis is the same. The only difference is that Miracle grow(Monsanto) buys 300 rail cars full of ammonium nitrate (for example) to make their fertilizer and the little guys buy one. Guess whos product is cheaper to the consumer?

My wife is in the chemical industry and she laughs while reading the labels of my expensive fertilizers. She can't believe the markup that people, myself included, are willing to pay for the same chemicals that are in the dirt cheap fertilizer. Once I'm done with what I have, I'm going back to whatever is cheap and works, be it miracle grow or otherwise.

The more I've read about fertilizer, the more I've realized that pretty much all inorganic fertilizer components come from the same chemical factories. The ratios and blends vary by the company, but the basis is the same. The only difference is that Miracle grow(Monsanto) buys 300 rail cars full of ammonium nitrate (for example) to make their fertilizer and the little guys buy one. Guess whos product is cheaper to the consumer?

My wife is in the chemical industry and she laughs while reading the labels of my expensive fertilizers. She can't believe the markup that people, myself included, are willing to pay for the same chemicals that are in the dirt cheap fertilizer. Once I'm done with what I have, I'm going back to whatever is cheap and works, be it miracle grow or otherwise.

Yup I try to explain this all the time!!!

Let me add a little- The urea N in miracle gro makes it cheaper. Urea is the most concentrated form of NItrogen making it cheap to ship, making it overall cheaper. Urea N is NOT to be used in hydroponics as it needs a medium with a partical size less then 1/4" to support breakdown of the Urea into ammonium and nitrate.

Fertilizer with Nitrate N is good for hydroponics and will cost more in price.

I think another thing take look at is the dry soluble fertilizer is the most cost effective. A dry soluble fertilizer I found on here called "MaxiBloom" from generial hydro is very cheap, has no Urea Nitrogen, has Calcium.

N, P, K are all inorganic elements, thus contain no carbon molecules (if I remember my organic chemistry from the foggy past). Therefore, does it make a difference to the plant utilizing these elements for growth, flowering, fruiting how they are derived? While the source of the NPK may be derived from so called "natural" sources (often at higher costs of production and higher product costs), if the plant does not discriminate in how these elements are delivered, why pay more for less. The assumption is based on using a fert. with the appropriate nutrient ratios for the desired result and plant used in the correct amounts.

I've tried so called natural ferts. and have not seen any plant performance enhancements compared to a water soluble fert. like MG. If there are micro nutrient issues, they can be addressed with appropriate products on a as needed basis.

And yes, I do compost and mulch heavily to reduce the need for fert. applications (2 - 3x) during the growing season.

I've never had a problem with miracle gro. I may try something different when my box runs out but it's working fine over here.

I'll stick with worm poop tea 3 times a season thank you very much! thats what makes MY plant grow the best so far. Its The easiest, cheapest, It works DAMN well, biofilm doubles as a bug repellant, and I know exactly what I put in it. I have a good argument agents MG but looks like I'm well out numbered so ill just keep my mouth shut.

I would say to anyone new to look at all the options synthetic, hydro, and organic and see what they think will work best for them.
Don't count out Organic because it's not as popular. I'm sure we have all seen that famous Fatalii tree by now!

Yeah that is orgasmik! Making worm poo just seems to damn complicated for your normal 40 hr a week job person like me

Back