• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

All Things Chicken Wings!

Good day all, 

I've just been searching for the I  LOVE WINGS! thread, and it seems to have disappeared! Is it so?!, what has happened to our famous thread of one of the greatest foods in existence?!

With that, I shall start a new topic on the subject. 

With my days off finally rolling around, and a hankering for some bbq. ALDI has wings for $7 per 2kg, so I decided to make some wings, ablated with my home-grown Carolina Reapers. I may have wondered down a bad road here...

Fukushima wings, Chernobyl chicken, whatever you want, I have screwed myself. 

m1ZHvsj.jpg

5ToA5nF.jpg

Wez7zH9.jpg

aHijKTC.jpg

oIyPZ1o.jpg

W5qRtY6.jpg

2oNt4Fa.jpg

And some honey soy BBQ wings for sane people

Uy0YKJq.jpg

sicman said:
Looks good. What did happen to the old thread? I just went back to 2018, nothing.??

Got no idea man. I looked back in my post history as I posted in that thread many times, all gone, and looked back in the forum here, nothing. Gone. 

dragonsfire said:
Their too expensive here to buy, Breast is cheaper, only get two at a time when buying whole chicken. :(

Awesome scenery their to have a BBQ!

How much are wings there? I don't like the breast, dry as the Sahara Desert.

dragonsfire said:
about $14/lb.
Slow cook the beasts and their juicy, then quick fry to brown.
Oh yeah. Get you some of them big fat ones and layer on a little olive oil, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. 425 that for 30 min and it's as juicy as anything. Low smoke oil like olive makes a crust in of itself too that's most tasty.

I mostly bake wings too, but the best damn wings I've ever had were at this place in pgh called 2 Brothers. Run by, unsurprisingly, 2 black brothers. They smoke them, flash fry them, and serve tossed in spicy ranch. Impeccable wings.

dragonsfire said:
about $14/lb.
Slow cook the beasts and their juicy, then quick fry to brown.

No come on. No. Seriously, how much do wings cost in Canada? 

That would make my 4kg of ALDI wings, which cost me $15, cost $123 on your end! That cannot be right.  Jesus, that would buy 5kg of Eye Fillet from ALDI here. 

I think it depends on where in Canada you are and what you are buying. Conventional is about 4.50 to 5$ a lb here right now for split wings. Add additional $2-ish a lb for organic.

That is somewhat lower than it has been for awhile actually.

Covid has been jacking up our meat processing industry pretty fiercely.

The meat industry is jacked up everywhere I think. Here at my local Aldi's and Publix, chicken wings and breats are both around $13.99/lb and it comes pre-spoiled. Local organic from whole foods is $4.99/lb. Something is definitely wrong with the industry.

Those wings look tasty though. Just honey, soy sauce, and reapers?

Jesus, and I thought wings here were expensive in the mainstream supermarkets. They charge anywhere from $6 to $7.50/kg. Aldi though sells wings for $7 per 2kg. If there is anything worth going to Aldi for it's chicken wings! Drumsticks are cheaper than wings here, can be found for $3-4/kg.

@Demented, the non reaper wings are just honey soy and bbq sauce. 

$13.99/lb comes to nearly $30/kg. I cannot get my head around that. That is Eye Fillet territory. 

Hells Kitchen said:
Jesus, and I thought wings here were expensive in the mainstream supermarkets. They charge anywhere from $6 to $7.50/kg. Aldi though sells wings for $7 per 2kg. If there is anything worth going to Aldi for it's chicken wings! Drumsticks are cheaper than wings here, can be found for $3-4/kg.

@Demented, the non reaper wings are just honey soy and bbq sauce. 

$13.99/lb comes to nearly $30/kg. I cannot get my head around that. That is Eye Fillet territory. 
:shocked: 
Well it's decided, I'm moving to Australia. BEEF! 

Fillet is nearly $67/kg
tcVSACY.jpg

Eye fillet prices vary here too, generally depends on where you go. Mainstream supermarkets might have it from anywhere from $40 or so to $70+.  Aldi has it for $28.

Wow, $5-7 a pound for what used to be considered scraps. I think local prices are in the $4-5.

Looking forward seeing the grub!

Hmmmmm....jonesing for wangs.....

Jesus christ @dragonsfire, that's expensive af. $30 for just under 2 kilos, I bought the exact same amount yesterday and was like $9.50, @ $5/kg.  And the wing costs more than the drumsticks. The latter is only tree fiddy. 

Here are said wings. I just simmered them in hot sauce and bbq sauce until tender, with merely a small dusting of my Reaper powder. I was blown away by how hot these turned out. Christ. Not even a dozen cans could save me. These reapers are beyond what a chilli is, this is chemical weapons grade shit. And even now my plant is still spamming 'em. 

iK9eGTG.jpg

oxNToST.jpg

ILDdLrW.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Wings are the most expensive, breast is cheaper lol.

Here it's the other way round, the breast is the most expensive. I personally hate the breast, dry tasteless garbage. Aussies, for reasons that not even the greatest mind of the modern era Stephen Hawking could explain, are absolutely enamoured with chicken breasts. 

The breast pieces at KFC are hideous, even if every other piece is good. Tiny, dryer than the South Australian outback, inedible rot. 

Current prices atm on the supermarket website. 

Wing: $5/kg
drumstick: $3.50/kg
thigh: $5.50/kg
Breast: $9.50/kg

Ofcourse, there are many brands with great variety in price. If the word "organic" or god forbid "Jamie Oliver" is on the package, the same breast and thighs cost more than a T-bone steak. Most expensive "organic" skinless thighs are going for $31.50..... wonder if there is anyone stupid enough to actually buy it?

Thigh's are my Fav. Breasts it depends how you treat them, slow gentle the best way to deal with them and then they don't disappoint.

Back