• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Almost embarassed to ask...

I'm a total n00b, and had a look around for the forum where I can ask foolish questions without annoying the 'Top Dawgs', but I see no such forum, so here goes: :lol:

I am absolutely new to peppers / chillis (as a hobby, though I've eaten them for many years) and I was given a small packet of assorted seeds.

Where can I find out the basics of growing these? viz Where to plant? When? In what? How many seeds in a pot? How much water, etc? You guys know better than I do what info I need, so could you help?

Cheers! :violin:

Best time is to start in the spring using a multi section seed tray, peat pellets or small plastic cups- one per section/ pot/ pellet.

After planting you want to cover them with cling film or plastic of some sort to stop them drying out.

Keep them damp and avoid soaking or completely drying out the medium. Multi purpose compost is perfectly good with the addition of perlite and/ or vermiculite if you choose.

Plant them about 1cm down and keep them warm until they start to pop up and introduce them into part sun. Then eventually full sun

Chris

As one of the top dawgs here, I will say that your question has not annoyed me. To go a quick rundown of ideas for you:
1. Plant start indoors a few months before Spring, plant two seeds per pot/starter tray, then once they germinate cut them down to one plant per space. Let the soil dry out slightly between waterings.
2. Harden them off to the outside slowly when temps get abover freezing.
3. Once germinated and through the rest of their life, the peppers will not like their feet wet. So only water when nessicary.
4. Use the best, well draining, soil money can buy (no Miracle Grow!).
5. A happy plant will love you back in the long run. So give them what they want.

Wow! You guys are fasssst!

Thank you!

Does your geographical location affect the planting time? ie as I am in a hot climate, could I plant even earlier?

(I can't wait to get started! :woohoo:)

huntsman said:
Wow! You guys are fasssst!

Thank you!

Does your geographical location affect the planting time? ie as I am in a hot climate, could I plant even earlier?

(I can't wait to get started! :woohoo:)
Yes, location always effects planting time.

Cool, thanks ima...

Pat, we have a cold, dry autumn winter from May to Aug and then things cool down to a hot Summer with afternoon thunderstorms from Oct to March. Our cold is around 6 degrees centigrade and our hot is 30 degrees. No clear cut seasonal split for us...

Johannesburg is 1500m above sea level.

wowo person from africa wow tHp surely is a melting pot of cultures. wow. Yeah some forums really have some Smart A$* es and r to up tight.

peppermanbaha said:
wowo person from africa wow tHp surely is a melting pot of cultures. wow. Yeah some forums really have some Smart A$* es and r to up tight.

Well, we do have out smart asses, but we are never uptight (and those that are generally don't last....thankfully) ;)

you will find many different growing techniques on this forum but most of them work...you just have to find the best one that works for you...

planting seeds for germination: determine when the night time temperatues stay above 50F (10C)...that is your plant out date...then for Annuum species, plant them about 6 weeks before your plant out date and for chinense species, you can plant them 8-10 weeks before the plantout date...the reason for the differential between annuum and chinense is chinense are slower growers than annuums...

seed starting medium...I have settled in on a very light weight soil-less mixture called Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix (Jiffy Seed Starting mix is my second choice)...you need a light weight seed starting medium to allow the roots to grow unrestricted...

trays to start seeds in...I use 72 cell seed starting trays, fill them up with the soil-less mixture...gently press the medium down and refill tray to top of cells then tamp it down again...you don't want to compress it too much, just a little because the soil-less mixture is so light...

planting seeds - as was stated above about 1 cm is a good depth...I use 1/2" as a guideline...if you plant too shallow, the seed husk will stick to the cotyledons on the plants more often than not because they have less soil thus less friction to pull the husk off...

water/fertilize - this is really a bone of contention between growers, however, I use a solution of Botanicare ProGrow, Botanicare Liquid Karma, and Superthrive for the first month then drop the superthrive but still use the progrow and liquid karma until plantout...

there are two things I think are the most critical bits of information for seed germination - moisture and temperature - you want the medium to be moist but not wet and a constant temperature of 30C seems to work best for me...note...the lower the temperature, the longer to germination for the seeds...

once the seeds have germinated, they need light immediately - a large variety of options are available for lighting from standard fluorescent bulbs, to compact flourescents, to metal halides, to high pressure sodiums, to light emitting diodes...BUT, the main thing you need to know about raising seedlings is that vegetative growth uses more blue spectrum light than red (and just the opposite for flowering fruiting where more of a red spectrum is required)...

exercise the stems and pour the light to the seedlings to prevent legginess...the more light the faster the plants will grow, however they need exercise so run a fan on them 30 minutes twice a day and make sure they sway in the breeze...no fan?...brush your hand across the tops several times a day (always make sure you have washed and dried your hands before touching the plants)

once the seedlings have started and are probably 5-7.5 cm (~ 2.5-3") tall, you will probably see roots starting to come out of the seed starting tray cells bottoms....this is telling you it is time to transplant into a larger container...I have found the healthiest largest plants are from seed starting tray to 3" container, to 6" container, to 2 gallon container to 5 or 7 gallon containers...(I am assuming you are going to be growing in containers here)...as a general rule, the larger the final container, the larger the root ball, the larger the plant and the more fruit the plant produces....I stop at 5 or 7 gallon containers because of the number of plants I grow each year (~300)

do a little reading using the search function on this website and you will find almost anything you want to know abour growing hot peppers...

one warning...be very watchful of aphids/spider mites, they can appear from nowhere and if you get an infestation, you will be fighting them for months...

good luck with your growing efforts...dang, I didn't mean to write a book...sorry for rambling...

Hey, don't invest in Krugers right now, PRF - you'll have a better return from peppers! :rofl:

Great reply AlabamaJack - much appreciated! Along with some quick wit and snappy one-liners from the other members, that's a great intro to the site, and I'm enjoying it already!

Back