• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Almost embarassed to ask...

Hey, this whole process looks very 'do-able' and those tips will definitely be used - thank you!

I have cups and small containers of every size and description known to man from some of my other hobbies, as well as peat, vermiculite, potting soil and even a single hole punch!

Just need some chinense seeds for planting now and permission from the wife to 'convert' our garden 'slightly' and I'm off and running! :woohoo:

Thanks for the advice, and the welcomes, folks. :lol:

Best of luck to you huntsman. You need some seeds send me a PM my friend and we'll get it done. Take care Paul.

You're a good mate Pat, and thank you!

Oh, the wife has given her blessing, but instead of converting too much of the garden, I was wondering if I could house the plants on the flat roof of my garage? I have a tin roof, and it gets a ton of Sun on a daily basis. Any thoughts?

Agreed. I'd check the temps of the roof before possibly roasting your plants' roots in their own soil. Also, as the plants get older and larger you'll probably be potting up to larger pots (with more soil and more weight). Your roof may not be rated to handle this extra load, so I'd be VERY careful with heavy pots on your roof.

Silver_Surfer said:
Can you hold your hand on that tin during the hottest part of the day or is it hot enough to cook an egg?

Too hot for my hand, but it does have ridges, so the pots would have air running about an inch clear underneath. Would that suffice, or shall I put a rubber sheet up there? (Purely looking at temps, just now)

SumOfMyBits said:
Agreed. I'd check the temps of the roof before possibly roasting your plants' roots in their own soil. Also, as the plants get older and larger you'll probably be potting up to larger pots (with more soil and more weight). Your roof may not be rated to handle this extra load, so I'd be VERY careful with heavy pots on your roof.

Yeah, wondered about that...

Can always check with an architect pal, for the load carrying capabilities, but would it work for the plants? (Basically the same as the terrace in Megs pics from Sicily in another thread...)

Oh, one you move the plants to bigger pots, do you still use a lot of vermiculite, etc? I read in another thread that a member was able to lift his pot with one hand as he'd used a medium lighter than soil?

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

huntsman said:
Too hot for my hand, but it does have ridges, so the pots would have air running about an inch clear underneath. Would that suffice, or shall I put a rubber sheet up there? (Purely looking at temps, just now)

If it's too hot for your hand I wouldn't use the roof space. Even though the ridges provide some air flow, radiant heat would roast your plant's roots. Forget structural integrity, grow your plants elsewhere. Just MHO.

make a green roof...

I hear you, Surfer and whilst the roof is not very hot right now, in Summer it will certainly become too hot for my hand...

Thing is, while I have a reasonably sized garden, it's set up predominantly for shade, which is why I thought the garden might have too little sun, and considered the roof.

So the only difference between this and a tiled terrace is the fact that my roof is tin, correct?

Would the rubber mat idea work? say 10' x 15'...

I also have an excess of floor tiles which I could lay and although that would add to the weight, I'm a first time grower, so won't have too many plants.

AJ, you serious, sir? would a colour change help?

Joe, thanks for the idea - perhaps for roasting the peppers later, eh? :-)

Guys, I'm not dead set on the roof idea at all - I just want to explore the options before I start chopping out bushes and stuff...

huntsman said:
AJ, you serious, sir? would a colour change help?

half way...wasn't talking about painting it green...was talking about this...of course the structure would have to be strenghtened...

http://www.greenroofs.com/

Back