• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Almost embarassed to ask...

Smokenstein said:
I need to bookmark a good metric conversion chart for when I'm perusing this site. :)

Here's a small very usefull conversion app I've used for many years and I keep pinned to my start menu.

No installation necessary, unzip anywhere, just double click convert.exe to run.

If you use it as frequently as I you'll want to pin a shortcut to your start menu by right clicking the executable and selecting "Pin to Start menu". :)

http://www.savefile.com/files/2131746

Welcome huntsman. :cheers:

Saw this for
Johannesburg Weather:

Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip
January 77.0° F 60.0° F 4.90 in
February75.0° F 59.0° F 3.80 in
March 74.0° F 58.0° F 3.30 in
April 69.0° F 53.0° F 2.10 in
May 66.0° F 48.0° F 0.70 in
June 60.0° F 42.0° F 0.30 in
July 61.0° F 42.0° F 0.20 in
August 65.0° F 46.0° F 0.20 in
September71.0° F 51.0° F 1.10 in
October 73.0° F 54.0° F 2.90 in
November74.0° F 56.0° F 4.70 in
December76.0° F 59.0° F 4.30 in

I would plant now. What do the rest of you guys think?

definitely germinate the chinense and pubes...I would wait another month to germinate the annuums...

Silver_Surfer said:
Looks like ideal pube weather.

I agree, PLANT NOW! :)

You and I think alike...

With the elevation you're at and the moderate temps, I elect to germinate some Rocotos, Locotos, Manzanos, etc. But, your favorite peppers should also be included.

Fantastic response AJ, thanks. I hope you don't mind if I stash that on my PC. Good info for every newbie that comes by and it would be nice to be able to pull it up when ever necessary. Credit to you of course.

All very helpfull answers to your question.

Never be afraid or embarassed to ask a question around here. It's the only way to learn.

huntsman said:
Cool, thanks ima...

Pat, we have a cold, dry autumn winter from May to Aug and then things cool down to a hot Summer with afternoon thunderstorms from Oct to March. Our cold is around 6 degrees centigrade and our hot is 30 degrees. No clear cut seasonal split for us...

Johannesburg is 1500m above sea level.

Hey Huntsman,

I'm from originally from Durban and my Parents are still there where my dad grows loads of chillies. It's much warmer than JHB and now in winter he really battles to get his Chillies to grow because of the cold but nevertheless they do grow, just slowly.

Also you guys do get frost up there so be careful, I'm not sure how resiliant Peppers are to that kind of cold.

Cheers

Well, I've had such a warm reception that I'm relaxing quickly, Pepperfreak!

A metric conversion tool is indeed essential with all of this cross continental chatter, so I'll grab that as well if I may, SS - thank you.

It seems to be a case of full steam ahead, but I'd like to post the list of what I received in a gift pack around 10 years ago, so you can let me know which is recommended to plant now if I may? (I guess the seeds will still be viable, right??)

French Wax
Bolivian Rainbow
Anaheim
Jalapeno
Hungarian Cherry
Golden Habanero
Red Sella, and
Red Savina Habanero.

I've learned about two from patrick, but perhaps you fellas can help with the rest?

Cheers! :-)

Nilsen, we do indeed get a short very sharp frost in my suburb, which definitely affects all sub tropical plants I have tried in the past; good point.

huntsman said:
A metric conversion tool is indeed essential with all of this cross continental chatter, so I'll grab that as well if I may, SS - thank you.

It seems to be a case of full steam ahead, but I'd like to post the list of what I received in a gift pack around 10 years ago, so you can let me know which is recommended to plant now if I may? (I guess the seeds will still be viable, right??)

Sure, I didn't write the program, just found it very usefull and it converts far more than just metric quantities.

10 years is pretty old seed, but if it was stored properly some should still germinate.

AlabamaJack -

Thank you for the detailed post which I have absorbed as best I can, though I do have a few questions if I may?

No Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix or Jiffy Seed Starting mix in South Africa. Can I use potting soil? If not, what ingredients should I look for in a starting mix? (Perhaps we have one here that is good, but under a different name)

Botanicare ProGrow, Botanicare Liquid Karma, and Superthrive are also not known by that name, but we have a brazillion others - what ingredients are essential, pls?

When moving from a seeding tray to a 3" or 6" container...is this 3" deep or rim diameter, AJ?

Cheers! :)

Forget about the brand names. start seeds in coco and/or peat and/or rockwool. all are great and won't mess with your root growth. the rockwool is my personal favorite as you can transplant it into anything. look for hydroponics fertilizers, but if you're using coco or peat, humus might work for ya. even a not-too-hot compost would do the trick.

huntsman said:
AlabamaJack -

No Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix or Jiffy Seed Starting mix in South Africa. Can I use potting soil? If not, what ingredients should I look for in a starting mix? (Perhaps we have one here that is good, but under a different name)

Hey Huntsman,

When my dad grows them in the garden he just uses potting soil mixed with a good organic fertilizer. It always worked for him...
As for the Jiffy's and rockwool I understand your fustration, I always battled to get any of those kind of products in SA but luckily the Swiss shops have them, you could just order it online but I don't think it's necessary.

Best Germination method for me is a tuppaware container, papertowel layed in the container. Wet the papertowel, add your seeds (just on top of the paper towel) and close the container. It really makes a perfect ecosystem for germination, even stubborn seeds germinate but what also helps is putting the container over a source of heat like a lighbulb or if you want a heating mat. Just make sure to check them often as the paper towels do dry out.

Once they have those little white roots you can put them into larger pots by wetting the papertowel again and pulling the seedlings off the towel very carefully... or you could just tear a little square around the seed and plant that too, I've never had problems with that.

Another method I used here is a cardboard eggtray filled with some seedling soil or even good quality potting soil, put the seeds in there, water until moist (you'll see the eggtray loose it's rigitity slightly) and seal the whole eggtray in a ziplock bag. Put it on a window sill in the sun and that works wonders. By the time the seedlings are touching the top of the bag they're ready to plant out, now you can just scoop out the little ball of soil as the tray will be soft by then.
I have never had a problem with mould or fungus, luckily, as the condensation really makes for a very moist environment.

AS for brands, that gromore stuff from Dunrobin nursery's is pretty good :)

Good luck man

Cheers

Thanks Boet - :D

Very ingenious methods there! So, normal potting soil with organic fertiliser will do since I can't find the recommended items? What ratio, Nilsen?

This n00b stuff really sucks, I can tell you! I know so little that I'm not even sure what to ask! :oops:;)

huntsman said:
Thanks Boet - :D

Very ingenious methods there! So, normal potting soil with organic fertiliser will do since I can't find the recommended items? What ratio, Nilsen?

This n00b stuff really sucks, I can tell you! I know so little that I'm not even sure what to ask! :oops:;)

I think about 75 soil, 25 fertiliser for general purpose growing... They'll grow anyway in just the soil so you can experiment what works best for you. You have to remember that in nature the pods fall off and grow in the ground.
The stronger peppers are the neglected ones ;)

You don't need any fertilizer to germinate the seeds. If you have peat or coco coir either one will work fine. Or you can used potting soil just remove any large pieces. Find some small containers such as 75-80 gram cups/vials and fill them with the growing medium. Plant your seed no more than 1 cm deep and cover it with your growing medium. Keep it moist, not wet, moist. If you were to grab a handful it would stay together for a short time before crumbling.

Place the cups in something that you can cover, you're setting up an incubator for the seeds. Mist the cups daily, just enough to cause a bit of condensation on the sides of the container. When you see the plant pushing up through the ground time to adjust things.

Once the first leaves show up, they're called cotyledon's, you need to get the seedling out of the incubator and under some lights. There are several different types of lights but the only ones I know anything about are the florescents. If you use them you'll want to put them within a couple of inches of the plant itself. They don't produce much heat so you don't need to worry about burning them. When you get the next set of leaves, your first true leaves then it's time to get ready for another change.

Here's what I do. I repot the plants into a larger container. I use 20oz plastic cups. Two per plant. The first cup will hold the dirt and plant. I burn four holes in the bottom of the cups and fill them about half way up with potting soil. Transplant the seedling, pack more soil around it, water it good and if you like you can add some fertilizer. Go easy with it at first. You place this cup into another cup that has a small stone or marble or anything to keep the two cups slightly separated. This gives you space for any excess water to go without leaking out all over the place. Pretty smart eh?

That's it. When you see the roots coming out of the small holes in the bottom of the cup they're in then it's time to repot them up again. I usually go to a three gallon pot. A couple that I may try to keep alive through the winter, inside my home of course, may get larger pots.

That's it, now I've got carpal tunnel syndrome.;)

Good luck huntsman.

Welcome to the site.... I'm sure you've already realized that the the Top Dawgs on the site are more than willing to help out and answer any questions about peppers.....anything from choosing which ones to planting to growing and crossing to eating the lil buggers!! LOL.....

Good luck growing your peppers!!!

Everyone else seems to have covered the answers to your questions.....

patrick said:
I burn four holes in the bottom of the cups ...

I like using a paper-hole punch, the single type. Remove the thin strip of metal that guides the paper and you can get it on the bottom corner edge of the cup - don't use real sturdy cups - and zap! 4 drain holes in no time.

Back