• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Aloha Spares with my Hawaiian Mustard BBQ Sauce

I prepped/trimmed two racks of spares with a mustard slather and coated with my 3-chile rub, letting them rest in the fridge overnight. I then started smoking them at 225° with a 2-1 mix of cherry and mesquite chunks.
After the first hour, I gave them a mopping of sauce, the sane with the second hour and third hour. I then foiled them for 2 1/2 hours. Finally I unwrapped them, giving them another 1 hour of TBS.
The flavor was spicy and smokey, with some fruity sweetness in the background. I don't know if the sauce is your type, but I was looking for something new.
My Hawaiian Mustard BBQ Sauce:
5 parts Curley's Mesquite BBQ Sauce
4 parts Cranberry mustard
4 parts Hawaiian Pineapple mustard
4 parts Maui Onion mustard
3 Chile Rub:
2 parts hickory smoked sea salt
2 parts fresh ground mixed peppercorns
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
2 parts packed brown sugar
½ part Mexican oregano
½ part toasted/ground coriander seeds
½ part ground cumin
1 part red Jalapeno chipotle powder
1 part Chimayo hot powder
1 part Ancho powder
Beforesmoke.jpg
BBQSauce.jpg
2hrs.jpg
finished.jpg
Julythrowdown2010.jpg

Wow those look great! I've played around with powders on ribs and really liked the zip of aji-pinapple, sweet datil, and TS. The aji-pineapple has a nice spicy fruity taste, the datil is really sweet for a pepper, and the TS brings the heat. I usually just add that to a basic rub and cook as is. I'll have to give that pineapple and onion mustard a try they seem pretty interesting.

Back