• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Always a good day to grill

We all had a wonderful time at the PNW ChileFest last night! You and your crew do amazing work that makes this event even more special. We truly appreciate it Aaron. Getting ready to go back now and see how that pig is doing.  
P9110630_zpsyzfagbjs.jpg

chileaddict said:
We all had a wonderful time at the PNW ChileFest last night! You and your crew do amazing work that makes this event even more special. We truly appreciate it Aaron. Getting ready to go back now and see how that pig is doing.  
P9110630_zpsyzfagbjs.jpg
Thanks Richard! Enjoyed every ones company and was glad Pele, Brian, Dave, Tom, Richard and the rest of the group could share this past weekend with you all!. This was a great weekend! Looking forward to next year's camp out. Many thanks to Ann, PaulG, Richard and the many, many others and their families who helped make this a fantastic event. Cheers all!

Aloha Br

oldsalty said:
Hey hey braddah!! Looking forward to this cook!!!! Never done oysters in a brine like that!! I'm watching!! :)
Aloha Braddah, 1st time for this brine. This brine tasted really good though. I had cut the water back by half though and added green onions from the my cousin Pele's yard. The flavor was off the hook. 

This recipe comes from Ryan on Smoking Meat Forums who experimented to find the most amazing smoked oyster, and apparently found it. To his credit, many are agreeing with him. So how’s it done?
INGREDIENTS
Collect the raw oysters in a chilled bowl. The colder you can keep them the better. Now for the brine…
3/4 Cup non-iodized salt
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
1/2 Cup soy sauce
3 bay leaves
1 Cup brandy
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 Turns of pepper grinder    ( I like black and white pepper so I added 1tsp)
2 dashes of hot sauce
1.5 Gallons water
Stir well. When salt and sugars are dissolved, stir in raw oysters and refrigerate for 30-40 hours.
Set your smoker to 225°F and smoke between 1.5 to 2 hours depending on taste, using your choice of wood (cedar, alder or hickory).
Finish off with some extra virgin olive oil and any other herbs or flavors you like.

I figure I'll rate this recipe when I'm done. The flavor so far is fantastic! Cheers

organic pepper said:
Aloha Br

Aloha Braddah, 1st time for this brine. This brine tasted really good though. I had cut the water back by half though and added green onions from the my cousin Pele's yard. The flavor was off the hook. 

This recipe comes from Ryan on Smoking Meat Forums who experimented to find the most amazing smoked oyster, and apparently found it. To his credit, many are agreeing with him. So hows it done?
INGREDIENTS
Collect the raw oysters in a chilled bowl. The colder you can keep them the better. Now for the brine
3/4 Cup non-iodized salt
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
1/2 Cup soy sauce
3 bay leaves
1 Cup brandy
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 Turns of pepper grinder    ( I like black and white pepper so I added 1tsp)
2 dashes of hot sauce
1.5 Gallons water
Stir well. When salt and sugars are dissolved, stir in raw oysters and refrigerate for 30-40 hours.
Set your smoker to 225°F and smoke between 1.5 to 2 hours depending on taste, using your choice of wood (cedar, alder or hickory).
Finish off with some extra virgin olive oil and any other herbs or flavors you like.

I figure I'll rate this recipe when I'm done. The flavor so far is fantastic! Cheers
Mahalo!!!!! :) and I'm all over this one brah getting da kine oysters here now time to brine!!!! :)

oldsalty said:
Mahalo!!!!! :) and I'm all over this one brah getting the kine oysters here now time to brine!!!! :)
There you go Brada! Always happy to share da recipe. Just check da  brine as you add water for strenght. Thats why I added less water for me. That bugga was ono, da brine that is. Aloha bra

organic pepper said:
There you go Brada! Always happy to share da recipe. Just check da  brine as you add water for strenght. Thats why I added less water for me. That bugga was ono, da brine that is. Aloha bra
Hahaha eh bah u know dat!! Dis ole haole surfah Neva speak da pidgin not since back in da 808. Dis onlee time:)
Cheers braddah!!

oldsalty said:
Hahaha eh bah u know dat!! Dis ole haole surfah Neva speak da pidgin not since back in da 808. Dis onlee time:)
Cheers braddah!!
Eh, no worries...When da last time you when eat da Char Siu? If no can get da stuff over dare let me know, I go send you brada. Aloha

Not since Hawaii!!!! Da kine from little market oh man!!!!!!!!! Used to eat dat all da time. Nothing like it here!!
Mahalo and Aloha brada!

oldsalty said:
Not since Hawaii!!!! Da kine from little market oh man!!!!!!!!! Used to eat dat all da time. Nothing like it here!!
Mahalo and Aloha brada!
Send me a message for your address and I'll get the seasonings for that out to you and how we make it.  ;)

Here's a site to get the seasonings if unavailible in your area.
http://www.nohfoods.com/
Its Chinese bbq mix. Just cut the water amount down by half and add extra brown sugar for better glazing, Soak it for 3 to 4 days for chicken and duck, 5 to 7 days for pork. Cheers all 

Edit: I used pork butt because of the fat content. Slicing the pork in the middle between the top and bottom of the chunk to butter fly it then cutting the strips from there. For me fat is flavoring which is why I like the cut of pork. Belly is also great for that as well. We cut it in 2" strips. Easier to grill. Cheers

Here we go with some pics.
Decided to use my cousin Pele's homemade smoker.
20151004_1127411.jpg

Mussels going in. We just salted with sea salt and garlic for smoking.
20151004_1146231.jpg

Oysters going in. ( In the future I wont use these baskets for them. They get stuck even with heavy oiling of the basket)
20151004_1140221.jpg

1 hr into smoking.
20151004_1358541.jpg

Finished product topped with olive oil and scropion / primo powder.
20151004_1459311.jpg

Qysters were spot on for flavor. I just over cooked them for what I was envisioning on texture. Was still tasty though. Just not picture pretty. Oh well I'll have to do more work with them a few more times to get it were I want.

Attachments

• 20151004_1730331.jpg
    20151004_1730331.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 56
Did some experimenting this morning with the traeger smoker. The recipe book for it says I can bake goods with it so I gave it a try.
Thin sliced apples rolled in crescents with apricot preserves. Once finished I dusted with some sugar powder. Cooling at the moment. Waiting for the taste test. Just curious as to what its going to taste like since I only had pecan pellets in the traeger. If it comes out I'll post the recipe and stuff.
20151006_1216551.jpg

organic pepper said:
Send me a message for your address and I'll get the seasonings for that out to you and how we make it.  ;)
Here's a site to get the seasonings if unavailible in your area.
http://www.nohfoods.com/
Its Chinese bbq mix. Just cut the water amount down by half and add extra brown sugar for better glazing, Soak it for 3 to 4 days for chicken and duck, 5 to 7 days for pork. Cheers all 

Edit: I used pork butt because of the fat content. Slicing the pork in the middle between the top and bottom of the chunk to butter fly it then cutting the strips from there. For me fat is flavoring which is why I like the cut of pork. Belly is also great for that as well. We cut it in 2" strips. Easier to grill. Cheers
Mahalo for dat braddah!!! Sorry missed the edit. Hahaha love to try with some pork belly my favorite.
Cheers

Back