• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Always a good day to grill

Time to fire this thread back up. Been extremly busy the last few months. Same style cooking but here goes for the next one! This one is going off in the next 3 weeks or so. Its just one of several meats to cook. Going to feed 2500 people for the day. Lets see how this one rolls out when the time get here. Started stocking up on the pork butt. 750 lbs to start with. I think this is going to be a long week when this kicks off. This sob!!! Argh!! now I gotta go figure out how to get my photos loaded onto the puter from the phone and so forth. God I hate this new  windows I upgrade to. I'll post the pics once I figure out how to do it.. Cheers all!

oldsalty said:
Hahaha eh bah u know dat!! Dis ole haole surfah Neva speak da pidgin not since back in da 808. Dis onlee time:)
Cheers braddah!!

Friend of mine back in the Army was from Hawaii. He got me hooked on this guy back in like 2005 called Bu La'ia.  The guy is hilarious, I love his prank calls to the governors office.

Here's a chest freezer with the pork.
20160212_1716211.jpg

This photo just dosent do the freezer much justice. LoL! Makes it look like a mini freezer. Oh well, it filled with 10 cases to start. Cheers all!

Also forgot to mention. Got a couple of hundred Lbs of Ahi fish coming in from Hawaii for this as well. 

organic pepper said:
Making a knife roll for the cooking adventures. My first time with leather. Hope this comes out.
attachicon.gif
20160211_2202021.jpg
Outside of roll.
attachicon.gif
20160216_2356051.jpg
Got about 1k plus hand stitches to do. Lol! Lots of fun happening. Cheers all.

Wow bradda!!! Now thats a cool project looking forward to assembly take lots of pics would love to try this my self!!! Great looking hide can't wait to see finneshed product!!

what can i say you rock brah!!!!!!

oldsalty said:
Wow bradda!!! Now thats a cool project looking forward to assembly take lots of pics would love to try this my self!!! Great looking hide can't wait to see finneshed product!!

what can i say you rock brah!!!!!!
Thanks Bradda,  Debbie was not to crazy about me wrapping my knives in her nice bath towels when I took them to go. I just used the embossed hide for this. I Dont know how to do any stamping yet. Will do on the pics. Cheers!

Well the big cookout was pushed back to April 2,  Will post up pics once we get rolling with it. Started stocking up on the chicken thighs since we had the 750 of pork butt already. Starting to run out of freezer space. Should be about 400lbs worth. We had 100lbs of Ahi tuna come in from the Islands along with Taro leaf for squid luau. Going to salt up 60lbs of Salmon for lomi salmon. Figure 10 cs tomatoes, 50lbs onions, 10 to 15 lbs of green onions just for the salmon dish. Several other items still to come. Will get pics of all.

Chef knife roll is almost done. Few more things left to do on it. Been hand sewing like crazy. So far over 900 stitches on just the knife sheaths alone.  Will start sewing up the roll itself monday. I figure 1520 stitches if I did my math right.

Back side of roll.
20160312_2019401.jpg

Front side of roll with pig skin flap. Figured keep it rustic so I used the outside of the skirting for this.
20160312_2059111.jpg

Here's the flap opened. I have to still glue in the upper flap (It's still drying from dyeing it.) and glue down the upper strap then run double stitch line on the edges around the whole roll. Once I'm done with that I can install copper rivets to attach the sheath to the roll
20160312_2058421.jpg

I think the hardest part of this whole project was the edges for the sheaths.
20160309_1123221.jpg

Will post finished pics as soon as I can. Well, Cheers everyone!

organic pepper said:
Well the big cookout was pushed back to April 2,  Will post up pics once we get rolling with it. Started stocking up on the chicken thighs since we had the 750 of pork butt already. Starting to run out of freezer space. Should be about 400lbs worth. We had 100lbs of Ahi tuna come in from the Islands along with Taro leaf for squid luau. Going to salt up 60lbs of Salmon for lomi salmon. Figure 10 cs tomatoes, 50lbs onions, 10 to 15 lbs of green onions just for the salmon dish. Several other items still to come. Will get pics of all.

Chef knife roll is almost done. Few more things left to do on it. Been hand sewing like crazy. So far over 900 stitches on just the knife sheaths alone.  Will start sewing up the roll itself monday. I figure 1520 stitches if I did my math right.

Back side of roll.
attachicon.gif
20160312_2019401.jpg

Front side of roll with pig skin flap. Figured keep it rustic so I used the outside of the skirting for this.
attachicon.gif
20160312_2059111.jpg

Here's the flap opened. I have to still glue in the upper flap (It's still drying from dyeing it.) and glue down the upper strap then run double stitch line on the edges around the whole roll. Once I'm done with that I can install copper rivets to attach the sheath to the roll
attachicon.gif
20160312_2058421.jpg

I think the hardest part of this whole project was the edges for the sheaths.
attachicon.gif
20160309_1123221.jpg

Will post finished pics as soon as I can. Well, Cheers everyone!
HEY BRADDAH!!!!!! That's is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Wow wow wow wow wow you my friend are an ARTIST!! :) Can't wait to see the finished product. Those knife sheath's are incredible. Wow I can't say enough!!! What kind of machine did you use would love to try my hand at this just amazing!!!
Aloha!! :)

oldsalty said:
HEY BRADDAH!!!!!! That's is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Wow wow wow wow wow you my friend are an ARTIST!! :) Can't wait to see the finished product. Those knife sheath's are incredible. Wow I can't say enough!!! What kind of machine did you use would love to try my hand at this just amazing!!!
Aloha!! :)
Good morning, Mahalo for the kind words!  Everything was done by hand except for the sanding and burnishing of the edges. I used my bench top drill press for that with some tools I made. This was a great learning experience for me. I got a lot of great info from the net and the local leather shop. If you can build easy diy stuff you can save a ton of money. If you decide to make something let me know and I'll post a list of the basic tools needed for this.

Aloha!

Fresh ham soaking in the brine.
20160314_2242381.jpg

Made the brine using
2 cup kosher salt
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup fennel seeds
1/2 cup mustard seeds
3 tbl crushed red peppers
3 tbl rosemary
2 whole heads of garlic ( used Inchilium red ) It has a stronger flavor I like.
2 onions
6 sticks of celery
A little over 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. I added according to taste.
a squirt of lemon juice.
started with about 3 gal water. After I added a bit more just to cover the entire ham in the 5 gal bucket.
The brine tasted really good. Kinda experimenting with this brine. Want to see where I got to dial it in on the finished product.

3 to 4 day soaking then on the smoker. I think I'll smoke this with hickory. Kinda switch it up from pecan that I really like using.

Cheers all!

Final product. Was quite tender. Total smoking/cooking time 9 1/2 hrs. I think the next one I do i'll brine way longer maybe 9 days and use more apple cider vinegar on the brine. The rub was off the hook. But, then again It was a gift rub so I dont have the recipe for it to share just yet. I'm going to try to find out though. Took the ham over to one of the crews house for beer night with the fella's and it got demolished. 
20160318_1928341.jpg

Cheers all!

Back