• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Always room for Jello ?

Anyone ever try to start plants in geletin? :?:
Unflavored.
I had someone tell me about it a few days ago. There's info on the net about it. It sounds interesting, also sounds like an easy way for transplanting.

Never heard of it myself. Sounds interesting.

The only problem I can see is the temps the pepper seeds need to be in order to sprout. The gelatin would melt.

From http://www.icangarden.com/forum.cfm?task=viewthread&chatthreadid=2841

Scroll down.

An article appeared in Canadian Gardening (Dec./Jan. issue) Gelatin isrich in phosphorus and calcium, improves germination rates and produces sturdy seedlings. It's less expensive and cleaner to work with than a no soil mix. Use short mason jars. In a 3-liter saucepan, sprinkle 150 milliliters of unflavoured gelatin powder over 500 milliliters of cool water. (Gelatin packages generally come in15 mil envelopes, so for smaller batches, divide water and fertilizer amounts by 10). Pour 500 mil of boiling water into the mixture and stir one to two minutes, until gelatin dissolves. Add 30 mils of water-soluble fertilizer such as 20-20-20; stir for another two minutes. Add 2.5 liters of boiling water, stir lightly and pour into wide mouth mason jars. Boil the jars in a canner for five mins to sterilize the growing medium. Let cool to below 38 C. Pour the mixture into plastic trays that have been washed with a 10% solution of bleach and water, and then rinsed, or small Mason jars that have been sterilized. Place clear plastic or glass coverings over the trays of jars and let sit overnight. The next morning, sprinkle seeds liberally over the surface of the set gelatin, and press gently until the seeds are just below the surface. Place containers under florescent lights that almost touch the coverings, this will keep seeds at a comfortable 15 C. while they germinate. If mold develops on the gelatin before the seeds germinate, spray with a 10% solution of bleach and water. If seedlings have emerged use a 10% solution of lemon juice or vinegar and water. When seedlings reach 2.5 centimeters, remove the covering and raise the lights to 2.5 centimeters above the plants. In about three weeks, most seedlings will be eight centimeters tall and ready to be transplanted into individual pots or cell packs and placed in cold frames for hardening up. Slip the seedlings out of the gelatin with your fingertips. Any residual mix on the plants will not harm the transplants. Happy Gardening! Susan

Dang it...I am going to try this today...I have to replant several varieties that did not germinate anyway...

This sounds like a way to get your plants in to a hydroponic setup with absolutely no seed starter mix stuck on your plants. I don't think I will ever use this method. I have tried many germination methods but still always come back to seed starter mix and a dome. Seeds are fussy.

I ordered some Datil seeds and got them yesterday...so I will try it with those along with some others and some more tomatoes...maybe not today but definitely tomorrow...

If you planted one seed per small "jello" cell like an ice cube tray, why couldn't you just plant the whole cell?

I purchased some gel cup things from the garden centre and I didn't have good results. I don't see how oxygen can get to the roots efficiently, but it must work for some people.

Agar works for tissue culture so I'm sure it would work for clones. Just watch you cats, agar is like kitty cat crack cocaine.

I had work in the past for ''AGRECULTURE CANADA'' and I see a lot of cutting growing in a kind of transparant gelatine but I could'nt say if this is jello ...

Apart from air getting to the roots, where are the seedlings drawing moisture from?

Also, why not as AJ suggests just planting the whole "jello" (jelly here in OZ) cell into dirt or into the hydro setup?
I wonder if it sets too firm, perhaps the roots cannot penetrate deep enough??

RS

Back