• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Am I reading this right - Scotts in bed with Monsanto

Our Glorious esteemed Minister for Agriculture Terry Redman went to the USA on a fact finding mission(read junket paid for by Monsanto) and came back fervently commited to ramming the legislation through to legalise the growing of GMO crops in Western Australia.

"The global GMO conspiracy is no longer a theory. This cable[see wiki leaks link above or article link below] proves once and for all, that there is a global conspiracy where government operatives work in collusion with corporations to push the biotech industry's GMO agenda while punishing opponents of GMOs and adding them to a "target retaliation list"
http://issuu.com/urbangardenmagazine/docs/organicsindoors pg 18-19(pg 16-17 in actual magazine)

monsanto's already trying to patent pig genes. a gene which is found in all pigs. if they do manage to get that patent, they'll own ALL the pork in ALL the world.

and as a filipino, i love me my bacon.

monsanto's already trying to patent pig genes. a gene which is found in all pigs. if they do manage to get that patent, they'll own ALL the pork in ALL the world.

What I fail to understand is, how the f*** can a company like Monsanto get away with patenting human or other animal genes, plant genes, etc.? It's beyond disturbing that the government actually allows this, let alone the act of genetically modifying plants and animals in the first place (and worse, not requiring labeling of any kind on food products). Even if there are a few people in the government that are known to work for, or have worked for, the company. I mean, really, no one else in the government cares? Whatever happened with peer review? So much crap happens in government at the wishes of a seemingly very, very small number of higher-up people whose plans, if properly discussed with other people in the government and the public, wouldn't see the light of day and would be deemed outright insane before they had the chance to take off. The pig has been around for far longer than anyone would even care to know, and certainly wasn't "invented" just recently by some jackass working at a selfish, corrupt, massive corporation. Doesn't "prior art" apply here? Does the government even follow its own rules?

I watched the documentary POTAWIE linked to earlier in the thread, and that's some f***ed up shit.

Here's a good documentary on that
http://documentaryheaven.com/patent-for-a-pig/

Grrrr, what the bloody hell is a five metre buffer going to do???

"The offending farmer has apparently "complied with his obligation to keep a 5m buffer between his GM crop and the adjoining farm."

What absolute assholes, they need to be friggin shot. PROST!

Doesn't seem like enough when you think about the wind blowing all that pollen around. Right on the money Novacastrian.

To sum it up, at least in the US, we live in a Corpratocracy where money, which the big corps have a lot of, buys off the politicians who then reward with legal monopolies and favorable laws. Subsidies for the megafarmer here causes complacentcy in agronomic methods where excessive fertilization is seen as a measure of insurance against lost profits, the soil fertility be damned. The widespread use of GMO corn and soybeans causing a whole host of long-term problems including changing the nature of the microbial community which is crucial to nutrient cycling (mineralization and immobilization cycles). It is hard to avoid the use of GMO, anything having corn in it more than likely is GMO. Frankencorn having bacterial genes (the Cry genes from Bacillius thuringensis for example) doesn't on its face seem like a good idea. The US govt has ok'd its use through various short-term studies but no longterm.

"The global GMO conspiracy is no longer a theory. This cable[see wiki leaks link above or article link below] proves once and for all, that there is a global conspiracy where government operatives work in collusion with corporations to push the biotech industry's GMO agenda while punishing opponents of GMOs and adding them to a "target retaliation list"
http://issuu.com/urb...organicsindoors pg 18-19(pg 16-17 in actual magazine)

Megamoo we ARE in the Matrix........

What I fail to understand is, how the f*** can a company like Monsanto get away with patenting human or other animal genes, plant genes, etc.? It's beyond disturbing that the government actually allows this, let alone the act of genetically modifying plants and animals in the first place (and worse, not requiring labeling of any kind on food products). Even if there are a few people in the government that are known to work for, or have worked for, the company. I mean, really, no one else in the government cares? Whatever happened with peer review? So much crap happens in government at the wishes of a seemingly very, very small number of higher-up people whose plans, if properly discussed with other people in the government and the public, wouldn't see the light of day and would be deemed outright insane before they had the chance to take off. The pig has been around for far longer than anyone would even care to know, and certainly wasn't "invented" just recently by some jackass working at a selfish, corrupt, massive corporation. Doesn't "prior art" apply here? Does the government even follow its own rules?

I watched the documentary POTAWIE linked to earlier in the thread, and that's some f***ed up shit.

More documentaries these things are gold!

To sum it up, at least in the US, we live in a Corpratocracy where money, which the big corps have a lot of, buys off the politicians who then reward with legal monopolies and favorable laws. Subsidies for the megafarmer here causes complacentcy in agronomic methods where excessive fertilization is seen as a measure of insurance against lost profits, the soil fertility be damned. The widespread use of GMO corn and soybeans causing a whole host of long-term problems including changing the nature of the microbial community which is crucial to nutrient cycling (mineralization and immobilization cycles). It is hard to avoid the use of GMO, anything having corn in it more than likely is GMO. Frankencorn having bacterial genes (the Cry genes from Bacillius thuringensis for example) doesn't on its face seem like a good idea. The US govt has ok'd its use through various short-term studies but no longterm.

Another reason to get a herd of goats for ground clearing.

Check this out, Sing along with "An Ode To Monsanto"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZwym0UsDZ8&feature=player_embedded

Ok, I just watched 'the world according to Monsanto'..... If they basically own ALL the seed companies how do we know if we are getting non-GMO seeds from the seed companies that say so?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison-rose-levy/monsanto-lawsuit_b_842336.html

Got hit with a lawsuit in NY yesterday.

nice song SG

Good to see that article Woody. It will be interesting to see if Monasnto has enough money to buy justice this time.

Back