• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another Zone 10 garden

If you look at the areola, you can tell that these mushrooms do not contain enough ducts for proper lactation.

Stick to peppers, Sum.

SumOfMyBits said:
What does this look like to you???

IMG_1225.jpg

That's what I thought... SMURFS!!! [raises hands in air in mock despair]

Seriously, these little guys won't do anything to my plants, right?

It's some kind of Lepiota, now named Leucocoprinus.

Here's Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. These show up in potting soil quite often, so I don't see how yours is much different (besides the lack of badass yellow pigmentation). It won't hurt a thing, and is a saphrotroph, feeding off of decaying material in your potting mix. Think of it as a compost enhancer!

Leucocoprinus_birnbaumii.jpg

imaguitargod said:
It's absolutely true. Allthough, I was on solid shrooms at three weeks though so I skipped that phase :lol:

Shrooms @ 3 weeks... solid. imaguitargod is one bad mutha-shuch yo mouth!

frydad4 said:
If you look at the areola, you can tell that these mushrooms do not contain enough ducts for proper lactation.

Will duct tape fix this??? I'm in a hurry!

FiveStar said:
It's some kind of Lepiota, now named Leucocoprinus.

Here's Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. These show up in potting soil quite often, so I don't see how yours is much different (besides the lack of badass yellow pigmentation). It won't hurt a thing, and is a saphrotroph, feeding off of decaying material in your potting mix. Think of it as a compost enhancer!

FiveStar- Definitely not well versed in mycelium by any means. This is something I need to work on.

Very impressive plants!

I tried Rocoto (Manzano Amarillo) last year, but only raised some pretty purple flowers. I think it was too hot for them and I've heard that they don't produce well until their second year. Jack Frost got them this winter, but I think I'll try them again next year.

The Tobasco I grew last year got over my head, but after picking those little suckers all season I swore off that type. :lol:

Good luck with the pubes.

Harvest update:

First Hab harvest minus the first three that have been turned into poppers or sauce. ;) The first pods seem to be very inconsistent in shape. The unripe pods on the plants now seem to be following the lead of the lower left pods shape.
IMG_1255.jpg

What would cause the first few pods on a plant to vary so much in shape?

I have to say the orange habs are among my favorite peppers...I know they are very common but they are very versatile in cooking or popping or saucing whichever the case may be...

great color and good looking pods

I agree that pod shape variation is normal...I have found that the first pods my plants produce are usually the largest ones for the season...that could be because of the heat in the late summer months...

Nice peppers you got there. How many plants did it take to get that many this early? Or are they all from one HUGE plant?

What is your seed source for the orange habs? I grew an orange hab version one year that looked a lot like yours but I can't remember where they were from, and it was many years ago

caroltlw said:
Nice peppers you got there. How many plants did it take to get that many this early? Or are they all from one HUGE plant?

This came from the first three plants germinated in January. There is another 15+ pods on each gaining momentum.

POTAWIE said:
What is your seed source for the orange habs? I grew an orange hab version one year that looked a lot like yours but I can't remember where they were from, and it was many years ago

Not sure of the true source. These plants were grown from seeds of pods bought at the local grocery store sometime last year.

Nice little harvest you got. Hey do you get frost down there in the winter at all? Just curious..

The few plants that I have in the ground definitely go into a dormant period in the cold months here, but they don't burn nor die. Just wondering if you have a year round season...

peppercrazy said:
Nice little harvest you got. Hey do you get frost down there in the winter at all? Just curious..

The few plants that I have in the ground definitely go into a dormant period in the cold months here, but they don't burn nor die. Just wondering if you have a year round season...

Usually it is a year round season in South FLA. Maybe every couple of years we'll get a frost warning or two. That's when everyone turns their sprinklers on all night. Usually when we get a warning it's not many days in a row, and plants in the ground most likely will survive it.

SumOfMyBits said:
Thanks peppercrazy! I agree, scale reference IS important!

Tabasco... intense rain down here has caused some freakish things to occur.
IMG_1213.jpg

Nice looking leaf, AND line gauge ;)

Do you do drafting or architectural work? Every other person I know w/ a steel rule is an architect or draftsman, or a machinist ...

LOL, I never think about that aspect ...

Oops.

Cheers!

I'm doing a little poking around to see what rate to mix mushroom compost into my soil mix right now, drinking a homebrew, and getting ready to re-pot 50 plugs into gallon pouches ...

I got 7.8 cu. ft of compressed Promix and Klasmann Base Mix 2. Two 40lb bags of mushroom compost and one 20lb bag of Black Hen holds too much water. Either add more perlite or cut back on compost.

SumOfMyBits said:
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share some pics of all that you have helped me accomplish on my first grow season. This originally started as an experiment to see if it was possible to grow from store bought pods. I started January 12th with orange habaneros and some suspected Aji Rocoto seed straight off a salad plate in Ecuador. Enjoy

4 Habs culled from many planted out Jan. 12
IMG_1050.jpg

Same four Habs split @ 8 weeks (Aji Rocoto in terra cotta beyond also @ 8 weeks)
IMG_1063.jpg

3 of 4 Suspected Golden Habs @ 137 days (today) each with pods hiding somewhere. The 4th was severely attacked by something Neem oil took care of.[I'm thinking it was mites] It's still alive trying to catch up.
Note: Champagne bottle for scale.
IMG_1205.jpg

[Pods shot @ 122 days]
IMG_1148.jpg
what size are those clay pots ?

SavinaRed said:
what size are those clay pots ?

Those tiles are 12" under them, so they look like my three 12" pots. If I'm right then these were the first terra cottas I bought when I needed to pot up, but quickly realized that the 15" terra cotta pots were a more appropriate size for the habaneros I was growing.

Back