• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anybody growing Biker Billy this year?

I like the size of these and it sounds like they are plenty hot. What are your thoughts? Should I add them next year? I'm lacking in the jumbo jalapeno catagory. What else would be recomended in this catagory?:?:

im growing mucho nacho. it produces about 10cm pods so pretty big for jalapeno i think. they also have more heat than regular ones. soon they will ripe and i be able to tell more about them :P

joeknowsjolokia said:
I like the size of these and it sounds like they are plenty hot. What are your thoughts? Should I add them next year? I'm lacking in the jumbo jalapeno catagory. What else would be recomended in this catagory?:?:

What is the jumbo jalapeno category?

I'm growing them and I like them a lot. I'm also growing Jalapeno M from seed and a hardware store purchased Bonnie Plant Jalapeno. The Biker Billy is the largest, but it is also the only one in a 5 gallon and the other two were overwintered. The BB also seems to have the most consistent heat (it's hotter) compared to the other two, although a few examples from the those other plants may have some good heat as well. The BB has consistently larger pods as well. If I was going to grow just one Jalapeno, it would easily be the Biker Billy so far. I haven't tried any other less common Jalapeno varieties though, such as Mammoth, Grande, Sayula, etc.

This plant shot up to 3 feet total height pretty quick, but stopped going vertical when it started making pods. I've picked 8 pods off of it so far. I expect it to be bushier by September.
minibikerbilly24july001.jpg

A nice fat pod.
minibikerbilly24july006.jpg

SEE Big T, thats what I'm talking about! So where do I find the seeds? Who sells them? I hear people talk about them all the time.I guess I can google it!

Down here in west Texas, we have been getting some HUGE Jalapenos in the local markets. (as long as my blackberry). If you are ok with market bought seeds, I'll send you some.

POTAWIE said:
Biker Billy and Jalapeno M are two of my favorite open pollinated jalapeno varieties although I'm only growing the Jalapeno M these days.

I am growing the Jalapeno M as well. I haven't had a chance to try any pods just yet, but at the moment the plant is doing very well for me. It isn't all that tall but is fairly bushy. For it's small size it has a good number of pods on it so overall I am pleased.

POTAWIE said:
Biker Billy and Jalapeno M are two of my favorite open pollinated jalapeno varieties although I'm only growing the Jalapeno M these days.
The chileman had a contest last year for largest jalapeno and "Maxi Jala" took 1st and 2nd place
http://www.thechileman.org/jalapeno_invitation.php

Thats awsome! I see rainbowberry beat out you and AJ for the longest pepper!:lol: Its so cool to see all the people I felt like I knew! Thanx for the link...

Josh said:
I am growing the Jalapeno M as well. I haven't had a chance to try any pods just yet, but at the moment the plant is doing very well for me. It isn't all that tall but is fairly bushy. For it's small size it has a good number of pods on it so overall I am pleased.

Well thats good to know Josh, thanx;)

RB can grow some mean chilis....

I grew the Ms last year and loved them...this year, I only had one plant left...sold all the others...but I have about 6 BBs going and they are great...also have some gigantes and heavens growing too...

AlabamaJack said:
RB can grow some mean chilis....

I grew the Ms last year and loved them...this year, I only had one plant left...sold all the others...but I have about 6 BBs going and they are great...also have some gigantes and heavens growing too...

Well I think I will try both the M's and the BB's next year. These would be great for smoking... in the smoker!(settle down Iggy!) I'm gonna have to google the other two kinds AJ!:lol:

joeknowsjolokia said:
Thats awsome! I see rainbowberry beat out you and AJ for the longest pepper!:lol: Its so cool to see all the people I felt like I knew! Thanx for the link...

Not to take away from Rainbowberry but I actually would have tied her for 6th place with 12cm if I had updated my sizes:)
Edit:I came close for best "corked" jal too
2433408813b70b0677c8so9.jpg

those are gorgeous Potawie...simply gorgeous...

POTAWIE said:
Not to take away from Rainbowberry but I actually would have tied her for 6th place with 12cm if I had updated my sizes:)
Edit:I came close for best "corked" jal too
2433408813b70b0677c8so9.jpg

All your stuff looks awsome! How can it be? Can compost make that big of a difference?

Back