legal Anyone know the legality of using an alcoholic ingredient in a non-alcoholic food item?

It would be cooked out. Many bourbon BBQ sauces, etc. Flavor stays. Alcohol goes poof.

No you do not need permission to use a brand name as an ingredient, but you would say "Bourbon" not the name brand. Think of how many name brands go into hot sauce. The honey you use is a name brand. The ketchup. Even the sugar and salt!

You can even use another hot sauce as an ingredient. Just list it as hot sauce and the ingredients in parentheses. Many use Frank's as a base.

so, i had this lady go ape-shit on me once, when i told her my nonna use to make us a hot toddy with wine and spices when we had colds as kids. she was loud about giving alcohol to children, i was under the impression that alcohol burned off when heated to the boiling point of "alcohol"........

....but here is a US government study: http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm

nonna died long ago and during post WW1 war time fed a lot of hobo transients as they made their way across canada, her house was known as a place where a transient could get a meal. i still love my nonna and long for her toddy..........even without a cold, the loud mouth kook was just that, imagine if i followed up with.... and i watch nudies too!

the study is for information only and should give you a guideline as to how long something needs to be cooked to remove any alcohol whilst being cooked. US Departmart of Agriculture sounds like they would stand behind one of their studies.......until proven wrong but for now they own the rights, to be right.

As far as I know, no.

There are a couple of hot sauces I've had with rum that were ok.

THP is right - every thing is a name brand. I don't have to list Morton's Sea Salt, I just say "sea salt".

You'd have to pay royalties or at the least get permission to use a brand name alcohol.

isn't that Cardbeourdeaux? That I get. :lol:

artificial tequia? still wondering???? is there such a thing? Inquiring minds want to know~

im 99.9 percent sure you are mistaken.

Yes. This would be an issue, a very big issue.

When you purchase food products that are either labeled as bourbon , whiskey, baileys, jack Daniels, etc. they are not using actual alcohol products in most cases, they merely use a chemical compound that tastes similar to the desired liquor.

This is because the misconception posted by other users.

When food, with alcohol is brought to temp, cooked, baked, etc some alcohol dissipates, but its a lot less than you would think. we studied this in school and I could dig up some facts, but here is a quick link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_with_alcohol
  • alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from heat: 85% alcohol retained
  • alcohol flamed: 75% alcohol retained

If you sold a product that had a very miniscule amount of alcohol in it, you would be sued out of this world.

isn't that Cardbeourdeaux? That I get. :lol:

artificial tequia? still wondering???? is there such a thing? Inquiring minds want to know~

not really, tequila has a lot of legal backing to protect its name, and where its sold / purchased AKA mexico.

You cant make tequila and sell it from the USA, etc.

"Mexican laws state that tequila can be produced only in the state of Jalisco and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas.Mexico is granted international right to the word "tequila". The United States officially recognizes that spirits called "tequila" can only be produced in Mexico, although by agreement bulk amounts can be shipped to be bottled in the U.S"

Tequila may not be the best to use as an example due to import laws etc. I'm pretty sure there is a %-of-total that a product can have alcohol and not have any issues. Don't know what it is though.

On the subject of using alcohol in food products-
Many flavorings (vanilla, mint, orange, etc) are 40-55% alcohol. No legal issues there and can be purchased by a person under 21. If rum is used in a sauce, who's to say what brand it is or if the sauce maker uses the same brand each time? Monarch, RonRico and Bacardi are not going to go chasing down every food product that lists "rum" on the label to see if it's their brand or not. Yes, if the label lists "Bacardi rum" as an ingredient, Bacardi might have an issue with that.

MANY food processors (not just sauce makers) use alcohol in their products. Rum in chocolates, herbal tinctures, bourbon jerky... I haven't heard of anyone getting sued.

In the end, it's up to the AHJ or PA, not some online opinions. Call your inspector.

edit- from the Jack Daniel's website-
JACK DANIEL'S® EZ MARINADER, BARBECUE SAUCES AND STEAK SAUCES DO NOT CONTAIN ALCOHOL

I would assume the difference is that vanilla / whatever extract is not intended for direct consumption, its an additive. When used as intended, 35% alcohol in a teaspoon = very low BAC.

Here is a good example.

http://www.thechocolatelife.com/forum/topics/legal-jargon-alcohol-in-confectionery

actually, here is your answer in short. You would really want to talk with a lawyer but this pretty much sums it up.

http://www.crowncandies.com/uploaded/files/alcohol_confectionery_jan07.doc

for your state , "
CT Gen.State. 21a-101 Permits the sale of confectionery that contains less than 0.5% alcohol derived from flavoring extracts and permits the sale of confectionery less than 0.4% alcohol derived from harmless coloring, flavoring and resinous glaze
"

heres a good example.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-585.html#NRS585Sec310

Here is your laws for CT

www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/fs_regulations/sanstan05.doc

www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/fs_regulations/sanstan05.doc

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/titles.htm

There are no answers there at all, that is something about confections, and haven't you ever had those bottle shaped chocolates filled with liquor? ;) THAT is not even cooked off, and we are talking about cooking here.

One of my favorite sauces for chicken is Shipyard Beer-B-Que, the second ingredient is Shipyard Export Ale, and when you taste it you taste... mmmmm. BEER! No fake pansy flavoring here. There are bourbon sauces galore... we know it is done, the question is how and what you need to do to get it done. So yes, he needs to seek advice to find the answers. But yes, it can be done. :)

I haven't made a bar-b-q sauce in the last 20+ years that didn't have Old No7 in it and to the best of my knowledge it didn't have any "side-effects" when using it :beer: . I do a slow simmer when making sauce and I feel it takes away the vast amount of alcohol.
I like to think old J.D. would be proud of what I created with his magical brew but I think if I sold it I better have J.D. Distillery permission to do so and to market it if bearing their name as a ingredient.
...but I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

OhioHeat

Back