• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Apache peppers

So my apache plant has started spewing forth peppers. I've only eaten one so far just by itself. My question is of what to do with the things. The taste was alright, but nothing amazing. They're too small to stuff obviously, maybe good for drying, pickling, or slicing up in quesadillas and such.

So, any recommendations from anyone on what to do with them?

For those who haven't seen one, this is the Apache: http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=apache&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any

When you say the taste is alright, that doesnt explain much. There are some peppers that are better pickled, used in cooking, or salsas than they are eaten fresh.

Salsa or guacamole and you can always add other peppers or powders to increase the heat.

Do you know what its a hybrid of?

Not a clue, unfortunately. I picked it up at a local nursery for $1.25, not knowing what the heck an Apache pepper was, figuring I'd try it out and see what happens.

If you weren't thrilled with the taste of it fresh, I would use in in salsas and such. You picking that plant up is like me getting 4 at Lowe's labeled pepper, then they start producing pods and they are habs that are very hot compared to other fresh ones I have eaten.

Or....you can dehydrate them and grind them into powder for spice..

I tried it red, for the record.

It's not exactly thick-walled, but the skin itself is thick. Kind of hard to describe really, but the outer skin seems thick, but the flesh (the pepper itself, if you get what I'm trying to say) is not. I'll try to get some photos of them up soon. I tried to last night but couldn't find the camera.

Its a true texas pepper then Tex...as with most of us Texans, we are pretty thick skinned... ;)

A little more info...

Gave another one a taste. Pretty much the same flavor as a red bell pepper but with a heat similar to that of a serrano. Similar in size to a tabasco: same length but wider. Tried to take a picture with my phone (can't find the regular camera) but it came out like a blurry pile of crap.

I'm thinking about drying and powdering them like AJ recommended. Also thinking about trying to pickle them. Depending on what all I get out of the plant, I might try doing both with some.

red bell flavor with with serrano heat sounds pretty damn good! I'd use it for anything you'd use bells for. I think they'd be awesome grilled on fajitas or sausage or fresh on salads.

i think i have an apache growing somewhere. i forget. they aren't the tastiest pods though. probably best suited for a powder addition IMO.

Back