• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Apple Habanero Hot Sauce

Ok, here's my first successful attempt at making hot sauce and this one's a winner. If you like Dragon's Blood Elixer, you're going to love this.

This is a two part sauce. It starts with a pureed salsa.

Salsa
2 14oz cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 jalapenos

Throw it all in a blender or food processor and puree to a nice slurry. Pour it into a sauce pan to wait for the rest of the sauce.

Sauce
14 habaneros
3 1/2 c apple cider
1 c apple cider vinegar
3/4 - 1 c apple sauce
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp dea salt

Liquify (or close to it) in blender or processor. Add to salsa in sauce pan, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Notes:
Apple Cider - Get the good dark stuff you find at farmer's markets or the produce aisle, not that yellow concentrate stuff in the juice aisle.
I may have added more ACV (maybe a 1/2 c but I don't remember).
Give the sauce a couple of days to meld. You will truly taste the awesomeness after that.

2l8j0pg.jpg
25f15sk.jpg

Curious to how long the shelf life is.  I had one that discolored quickly, unsure of why.  I love fruit sauces with heat.  nom nom nom

Have you considered trying this with apple butter? - and bragg's (sp?) cider vinegar

Sam & Oliver said:
Curious to how long the shelf life is.  I had one that discolored quickly, unsure of why.  I love fruit sauces with heat.  nom nom nom

Have you considered trying this with apple butter? - and bragg's (sp?) cider vinegar

I know this thread is several months old, but I wanted to give an update.

The shelf life is good so far. It hasn't discolored or separated.

Here's a pic of what's left of that first batch.
Don't mind the label. This was an Australian Hot Sauce bottle. The labels do not like coming off.

23h6izc.jpg

Back