• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest April ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'll get slammed for this but................soul food is similar to the Cajun TD we just had and is already spicy. French-Jewish-German-andmanyothers (recently suggesteted by others)....are not usually considered a "spicy" cuisine.......

Pi's idea is a good one. Maybe make it as simple as-
take the blandest dish you can think of and spice it up!
Scalloped potatoes. mashed potatoes, mac&cheese, dumplings, pasties, bread, pie, toast, an egg, poi, chorizo, fritter, tortilla, pan, leche, cheese, breakfast scramble, .....

Pi~ If that is not your idea, I apologize, and please explain further.
Something like that but within the specific cuisine. French, for example could be pot au feu, cassoulet, coq au vin...

Back to the fondue. You can expand that such as doing a chicken sesame with a hot oil fondue and then after cooking, roll the chicken in a sauce and toasted sesame seeds or a chocolate fondue, dip banana in it then roll in coconut flakes.

I don't know much about it, except wine/cheese/spices and dipping stuff. What else is there? Don't want you to give away any secrets, but in general.

rocketman already touched on various fondous- dipping in melted cheese, using oils as a main course hot cooking for meat, and then there's the desserts!

Hot Pot Cooking! The hot pot could be oil or cheese or chocolate or water or...? Somehow you have to dip something on the end of a stick into a hot pot of something and then eat it. Maybe the "dip-a-stick" theme would work. Dumplings dipped in boiling water would qualify~

Like HSL said......fondue night (at least here at the Circle-H) is anything you can cook at the table in a pot (usually with skewers or long forks) The possibilities are nearly endless. For example:

-Bacon-wrapped sea scallops on the end of a wooden skewer, fried in peanut oil, and then dipped in a nice mango-habanero glaze. :woohoo:

I'd cite more examples....but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

I'm not really into fondue - have no fondue pots, and wouldn't get one (or two, or ten...) for this purpose. But I can see where it could be interesting if a rule was either no cheese or a cheese course plus a non-cheese course. SL's idea of a dipping anything could work to broaden participation though - not limit it to "just" fondue (ie - no need for a fondue pot.) Just thinking out loud here....

You do NOT need a fondue pot to fondue. I used an electric hot plate and a non-stick saucepan for years and years. You can also se wooden skewers instead of the traditional fondue forks. In fact, the wooden sewers work BETTER for some applications.

Edit- Nick posted while I was typing. Nick, this is not directed at your comment which is right before mine. Cross-posting is all~~~ sorry-

Asian does sound great, but as THP mentioned, aren't there a few playah's out for this one?

We just watched an Anthony Bourdain episode where the dinner guests were seated around a table with a boiling cauldron of oil and red hot chiles in the middle. Guests used chop sticks to hold their food and dip it into the boiling oil. They were in the Szechuan region of China.

We've done "Stick It" (things on a stick, obviously...)
"Stuff It" (sausage)
This one could be "Dunk It", and that would not limit it to cheese.

Save Asian for next month.....and give those who are paying attention a little extra time to plan. ;) :lol:

I'll see if I can find the list again of what's been done.

I've always wanted to do an Asian Lots-of-things.
and I'm sure you mean egg rolls, stir frys, and rice. RIGHT?!?
:lol:

Okay, back on topic!

Here's a list of TD's from the beginning-

popper
pizza
burger
jerk
mac and cheese
stick it- food on a stick
stuff it- sausages
comfort food- 2 sides
holy smoke (smoked foods)
steak
superbowl snack foods/finger foods
regional/ethnic- you choose the region/ethnic
pasta
secret ingredient- mango
pie- sweet or savory
grillin' and chillin'- grilled food and a drink
seafood
where's the beef?- beef-less burgers
oktoberfest- entree and oktoberfest beer
waffles!
bajou battle- cajun cooking
chopped- (TV show/use these ingredients-cornish hen, swiss chard, melba toast and chiles)
super "bowl"- anything in a bowl
Dutch oven classic

burgers have been done twice, once with beef, and once without beef.

We could always revisit Mac-N-Cheese. Some great entries were made on that one.

I made a killer pizza for that TD, but I've got WAY better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back