contest April is Ramen Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
FD4, I did a practice technique with 1 Tbsp ramen from the 'Kid's lunch bowl last week and it turned out perfect! You have to start with COLD tap water to achieve the perfect boil. If you use hot tap water, the bubbles are too big and you don't get the all-over even cooking that ramen requires. The smaller bubbles generated by the cold tap water work around the surface of the noodles to achieve a perfect cook.

The rest of my dish... don't need no practice. I'm gonna Live On The Edge and throw all myeggs noodles in one basket with No Backup. And FryDaddy, don't worry if you screw up your initial 39 cent investment. Scovie's got you covered. Since he's not entering the TD, he can be an investor and silent partner. Just make sure you give him a bill for .39 when you see him in a couple weeks. ;)

actually, you know what FD4? That would NEVER work, Scovie could never be a SILENT partner....

xoxo

You have to start with COLD tap water to achieve the perfect boil. If you use hot tap water, the bubbles are too big and you don't get the all-over even cooking that ramen requires. The smaller bubbles generated by the cold tap water work around the surface of the noodles to achieve a perfect cook.

Oh, I always use cold to fill the pot, if you use hot you get nasties from the water heater. Usually you should always use cold.

I thought water boiled at 212° F. Wheather it was heated from the hot water tank, a gas burner or a parabolic lense. Water doesn't bubble until it is 212° so therefore it wouldn't generate bubbles from cold water. Nasties from the hot water tank? That's a myth from the fifties like the word supper. Y'all need to drink more....

I think to get the best flavor, you go for a slow boil.
Turn a pot of cold water on simmer for 30 minutes.
Then build it up to medium for 20 minutes until it starts to boil.
Then back it down to simmer. Add 4 parts ice cubes to shock it.
Then gradually increase the temperature to high, until you have a full rolling boil.
Drop the temp, again, but this time to medium.
Let boil until the liquid has been reduced by half.
If it sticks to the back of a spoon, it's just right.

Now you have a perfect pot of boiled water. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

True story.

I use Evian.

bowled.jpg

You have to put wood in it.

True story.

I'm with Megs - I'm too lazy to wait for water to boil.

Personally, I just throw the flavor pack (if I'm using it at all), AND the brick, into the water in the pan. Turn it on high, and walk away.

By the time I remember what I'm doing, it's ready-to-eat!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back