• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Arachnaphobes beware

Was cleaning up the garage today and in the Christmas box was this guy... he was about 3 inches across, missing a leg and quite shy. Any idea what type of spider?
20180107_132631.jpg

hogleg said:
I believe that is a brown recluse. Be careful!
That was my first reaction to the pic, and looks really similar, but doesn't have that typical fiddle patern. It still looks way too similar to mess with. I would kill that thing on sight, instead of the typical catch and release I do with indoor spiders.

I had a brown recluse bite seriously F me up years ago. It was the worst!

Voodoo 6 said:

Yep, very hard to tell them apart, but its no worries. Where I am at in the wilds of Florida we get those about the size of my hand, which is larger than the average mans hands. Non poisonous, but can still bite enough to hurt. I been bit by these more than once walking barefoot. For the most part they are non aggressive and just ugly looking. I remember as a kid hating to see these pop up in the corner of my room. "Damn that thing is big, and its time to go to bed. Dammit!" .
More ugly and frightening than dangerous. Of course that is no consolation to someone extremely scared of spiders. 

Brown Recluse spiders are nasty business......

This particular example was discovered in my hall bathroom sink. Its, by far, the largest I've ever seen:

r5mBzAg.jpg

The one in the OP's first photo looks more like a wolf spider of some kind.....

.....although, I'm not sure I'd give him a pass if he was IN the house. ;)

paulky_2000 said:
Brown Recluse spiders are nasty business......

This particular example was discovered in my hall bathroom sink. Its, by far, the largest I've ever seen:

r5mBzAg.jpg

The one in the OP's first photo looks more like a wolf spider of some kind.....

.....although, I'm not sure I'd give him a pass if he was IN the house. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that spider "...picked the wrong bathroom!" Did you get penetration with the elephant gun?

It's probably related to these. We have these everywhere. They're big and scary but relatively harmless. They weave large golden silk webs that are tremendously strong and durable.

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 56
DWB said:
It's probably related to these. We have these everywhere. They're big and scary but relatively harmless. They weave large golden silk webs that are tremendously strong and durable.

We call those around here "signature spiders" because of the designs they make in the centers of their webs..

gX1UwDr.jpg

Back