• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are you as "green" as me?

Thats what I do with my Bokashi, put it straight into the worm farm. I pretty much find that because the wastes have been fermented, they are extra soft and the worms feed on them like crazy!

Do you know if the Black Soldier Fly creates any castings equivalent?

With composting meats I'd be most concerned about antibiotics and growth hormones. Can these burn off in compost?

I'd say if the pile got hot enough then they might but I dont use the meat pile for any veggies, just for the flower garden.

POTAWIE said:
With composting meats I'd be most concerned about antibiotics and growth hormones. Can these burn off in compost?

AFAIK, they aren't. If the temps got hot enough to break down those chems the compost would be long past sterile and would have surrendered a huge portion of its benefit.

At 150 degrees, most any nasties will be destroyed (from what I read). A good pile can get as high as 180, though it is not recommended. In an Earth Machine, which is black and has a top, I can see it rising to 200 or so, especially as it fills and the vents are covered. I have a few plastic barrels from Jim Beam - I'm thinking about turning a couple of them into composting bins.

Mike

I am guessing the meat one would toss into the composter had been cooked prior and would guess that would breakdown any foriegn properties, then add in additional heat from the composter that might take care of them but wouldn't you have to immediately dig the meat into the composter to have the internal heat take effect? I wouldn't think surface temperatures would be as hot as inner temps but I don't know in warmer climates where night temperatures are as warm as daytime...... I don't have that issue.

wordwiz said:
At 150 degrees, most any nasties will be destroyed (from what I read). A good pile can get as high as 180, though it is not recommended. In an Earth Machine, which is black and has a top, I can see it rising to 200 or so, especially as it fills and the vents are covered. I have a few plastic barrels from Jim Beam - I'm thinking about turning a couple of them into composting bins.

Mike

Nasties yes, but I doubt that low temp would break down many man made chems. Hotter temps start to kill off the beneficial organisms.

I've never heard of using BSF's like that. Very interesting way of not wasting nutrients. Here's a good organic mix for pots I've been trying out. I modified it for a recipe found online to the stuff I had on hand.

One bale Sunshine mix #4 3.8 Cuft (There's no Pro-mix available around here to my knowledge. It would have been my choice after seeing some members results with it.)
8 cups bone meal
4 cups blood meal
1 1/3 cups epsom salt
4 cups dolomite I used 2 cups diamond fine grind limestone
4 cups kelp meal I used 4 cups sulfate of potash (might be too strong but so far they are loving the mix) I'm going to mix another batch with only 2 cups for comparision
3 cups greensand
3 cups cal phos (soft rock phosphate or also called colloidal phosphate)
8 cups cotton seed meal
mix together and then add a couple of handfulls of worm compost per 5 gallon pot

Water in Mycorrhizae spores and Humax with ph adjusted water

then just water with ph adjusted water for the rest of the season

Back