• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are you as "green" as me?

I drove 60 kms last night to pick up a compost bin I won on Ebay called the Earthmaker.

This got me thinking, is anyone as crazy about worm farming and composting as I am? I now own 3 compost bins, 3 worm farms and 2 bokashi bins. I will also be getting 200 kgs of sheep manure for $20 tomorrow. I feed my plants with a seaweed based fertiliser, and also a commercially produced worm juice product. When I have time, I also brew my own compost tea!

So, are you as "green" as me? ;)

Wow that's awesome.

But the thought of having a ton of animal manure would make my mom disown me. I do wanna do something similar but ah well.

I plan on getting worm castings and brew worm tea though.

MiLK_MaN said:
I drove 60 kms last night to pick up a compost bin I won on Ebay called the Earthmaker.

This got me thinking, is anyone as crazy about worm farming and composting as I am? I now own 3 compost bins, 3 worm farms and 2 bokashi bins. I will also be getting 200 kgs of sheep manure for $20 tomorrow. I feed my plants with a seaweed based fertiliser, and also a commercially produced worm juice product. When I have time, I also brew my own compost tea!

So, are you as "green" as me? ;)

You are awesome.
I would never use anything other than worm compost in India. Here too, I go and collect as many earthworms as I can . I collect them during my morning walk as they come out of the lawns and put them in my pots with organic home refuse and use them for best part of the season.

But you are a mile ahead buddy. Keep it up!!

"Are you as green as me?"

nope...not nearly...just don't have the room for it...I will have to stick with my standard methods...if I had the room, that may be another story...

I'm pretty green myself. I've given up my worm farms and bokashi for the summer, but I still have several acres of leaves to compost along with this year's fresh manure, and I still have plenty of kitchen compost to use as well as a huge trailer full of mushroom compost and one full of aged manure

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
You are awesome.
I would never use anything other than worm compost in India. Here too, I go and collect as many earthworms as I can . I collect them during my morning walk as they come out of the lawns and put them in my pots with organic home refuse and use them for best part of the season.

But you are a mile ahead buddy. Keep it up!!

You are likely collecting dew worms which aren't good for composting, although they are beneficial in aerating garden soils

POTAWIE said:
You are likely collecting dew worms which aren't good for composting, although they are beneficial in aerating garden soils

You are correct.
I have very heavy sticky soil. I do add a lot of compost and yet I find adding some worms always helps in aeration.
On the side, if they make some compost, I am happy.

I'm not anywhere near as 'green' as you MM. We've only just purchased and started up the composter. Before that we'd blend up the kitchen scraps and water them in. Thumbs up for going green.

I did get a little chuckle out of the fact that you drove 60km's to pick up a composter. You should be able to make up for the carbon footprint you left in about 3 years or so ;) :lol:.

Two 4'x4' compost bins
Make my own fish fertilizer
Sea weed extract
Pineapple extract
Papaya Extract
Calcium Phosphate
compost tea

I'm not as green as you but I definitely work hard at approaching your greeness. I have four worm bins with four different kinds of manure worms. I don't want to build up toxic levels of salt in the ground, so I only use organic stuff in my raised beds. I do use some non-organic ferts in my pots though.

its only green if you drove that 60km to get the composter in a Prius or on a bicycle lol , seriously though nice job/effort I have a long way to go to be that green but Im working on it, every year I try and be more green

We're not as green as we'd like to be but we do have a compost tumbler. I physically can't turn compost if it's in a bin so this is the way we have to do it. Kitchen scraps get saved for the composter, yard clippings as well. We don't have a worm bin but find lots of worms when we dig in the garden so they are doing what they should be doing. We have no room for a ton of manure either. Each one of us has to do what they can with what they have, and even a small effort is an improvement.

Unfortunately I dont own a Prius or bicycle, but the car I drive runs on LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).

Trust me, I'm not a greenie, otherwise I woudn't shave! But I do try and see if I can practice some sort of green farming techniques. I think the only thing that stops me from being classified as truly organic is the fact I use a systemic pesticide on my plants when the aphids go wild. I know I can use neem, which I do have a bottle of, but I find the systemic pesticides work a bit better.

This year is the first time I'll be growing in the ground instead of pots. Prepared two garden beds on the weekend using the no-dig garden technique, and used sleepers made from recycled printer cartridges instead of wood.

It's been a warmer than usual winter in Melbourne, let's hope the season starts earlier too, as I get sick of seeing all the pictures from the Queenslanders that planted out 2 months earlier than I can ;)

OH THOSE DIRTY QUEENLAAANDEEEERS! :lol:

I get sick of looking at everyone else's pics too. I plant late and see the end of the season long before many others here at THP. I've usually had by plants in for the fall/winter around the same time AJ starts harvesting :cry:

MiLK_MaN said:
Unfortunately I dont own a Prius or bicycle, but the car I drive runs on LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).

Trust me, I'm not a greenie, otherwise I woudn't shave! But I do try and see if I can practice some sort of green farming techniques. I think the only thing that stops me from being classified as truly organic is the fact I use a systemic pesticide on my plants when the aphids go wild. I know I can use neem, which I do have a bottle of, but I find the systemic pesticides work a bit better.

This year is the first time I'll be growing in the ground instead of pots. Prepared two garden beds on the weekend using the no-dig garden technique, and used sleepers made from recycled printer cartridges instead of wood.

It's been a warmer than usual winter in Melbourne, let's hope the season starts earlier too, as I get sick of seeing all the pictures from the Queenslanders that planted out 2 months earlier than I can ;)

Good job on the green efforts MM! If you like I can send you some early pods ;) My seedlings are now a month old so hopefully (if all goes well) I'll have a few early pods and plenty of seeds to share around. And with a bit of luck you're season will also get an early start, my sister lives down you're way and also says it's been a bit warmer than usual.

Gotta love Queensland!!

Sorry... but if something comes out of an animal's ass, I won't even touch it. All shit's out of the question for me. IMO, that's just sick, just asking for some nasty disease and the perfect breeding ground for flies (which I outright hate). Not to mention, I despise the wretched stench when driving down a highway and some farmer nearby clearly uses it... can easily be as bad as a dead/scared skunk.

If I had a compost bin set up though (and knew how to use it) I probably would use it. I don't really mind using the decayed remains of plant matter. But shit? No... just no. I walk in enough dog shit as it is (and not much infuriates me more... I hate those animals...).

In other words, I'm not as green as you, and probably never will be...

The manure I've put in the ground now wont have anything planted in it for at least another 100+ days.

As for the rest of the manure, I plan on composting it and using it in worm farms where it will be converted into castings.

Not exactly sure why you think using manure is sick, I reckon the majority of your vegetables you eat would be fertilised with manures in some form, and also the hay/grass used by cattle/sheep/whatever other animal you eat is also fertilised with manure.

UltraZelda64 said:
Sorry... but if something comes out of an animal's ass, I won't even touch it.

Have you ever used any commercial soils? In that case - I have some bad news for you... ;)

Back