beer ASK WHEEBZ

dont understand why you would use columbus and fuggle to bitter other than reducing trub amount, but its so minimal it wouldnt even matter

and fuggle is not appropriate for a saison, in fact, fuggle is downright not appropriate for anything at all, i hate that hop

use saaz and hallertau, its gonna taste better

and throw in either some oats or some cara-pils, otherwise you will have zero head retention with all that pilsner and acidulated malt

i was using the guy's brewtoad recipe as my basis for figuring out how to use the spreadsheet ...

i don't have a problem changing it up, i ordered 5 lbs pilsner and 1 lb acidulated malt ...

i'll just order some more stuff, no biggie ...

so, i'll order an oz ea of german hallertau, nz hallertau, and ger hallertau mittelfruh, and 2 lbs ea of carapils and flaked outs to come next week as well ... yes? ...
OK, done.

thanks for lookin' out ...

bedtime, for me ...

Alright. I needed to sleep, was delirious ...

So, next week I'll have on hand to work with:

6 lbs Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner
2 lbs flaked oats
2 lbs Briess carapils
1 lb Weyermann® Acidulated Malt

1 oz New Zealand Pacific Hallertau
1 oz German Hallertau Hop Pellets
1 oz German Magnum Pellet Hops
1 oz German Hallertau Mittelfruh Pellet Hops
1 oz Columbus Pellet Hops
1 oz Czech Saaz Pellet Hops
3 oz US Fuggle Pellet Hops
1 oz Czech Saaz Pellet Hops

French Saison Activator Wyeast ACT3711
Wyeast Yeast Nutrient- 1.5 oz.

2x Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison
White Labs Belgian Saison I WL565
White Labs Tennessee Whiskey Yeast WLP050
White Labs Mexican Lager Yeast WL940
White Labs American Whiskey Yeast WLP065
White Labs Bourbon Yeast WLP070
Safale US-05 (11.5 grams)

1 lb Briess Dried Malt Extract- Pilsen (for starters)

I'm at 96% Pilsner and 4% Acidulated Malt right now ...

What kind of percentages were you thinking for the oats and/or Carapils? ... and, what kind of hopping schedule were you getting at? ... Which Hallertau? ...

No hurry on any of this, it'll be my project for a week from now ...

CHEERS!

94 percent pils, 4 percent oats, 2 percent cara-pils, and if you have to add acidulated to bring your pH down to around 5.5 go for it, otherwise ide say use citric acid

bittering hop additions to 20 ibus

the fact that you got Pacifica, otherwise known as NZ Hallertau, is pretty awesome, such a great hop

so

additions for a saison for 5 gallons (scale this accordingly), assuming you are making this almost like a pilsner hop profile would be

.25 ounces @ 15 saaz/hallertau
.25 ounces @ 10 saaz/hallertau
.25 ounces @ 5 saaz/hallertau
1 ounce @ whirlpool of the Pacifica

those are either/or, not both

wheebz said:
94 percent pils, 4 percent oats, 2 percent cara-pils, and if you have to add acidulated to bring your pH down to around 5.5 go for it, otherwise ide say use citric acid

bittering hop additions to 20 ibus

the fact that you got Pacifica, otherwise known as NZ Hallertau, is pretty awesome, such a great hop

so

additions for a saison for 5 gallons (scale this accordingly), assuming you are making this almost like a pilsner hop profile would be

.25 ounces @ 15 saaz/hallertau
.25 ounces @ 10 saaz/hallertau
.25 ounces @ 5 saaz/hallertau
1 ounce @ whirlpool of the Pacifica

those are either/or, not both

Cool, thanks.

I'm planning to get drunk and read about IBU's later ...

I guess the deal w/ that is that there's (at least) 5x equations, and they key to success is picking one and sticking w/ it ...

So, that's probably a really good ASK WHEEBZ, actually ...

Which equation for IBU calculations do you recommend? ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

I'm making an saison from kit(s) later on tonight, late at night, at least I hope to be able to ...

I don't have the jalapeno the recipe calls for, and don't like jalapenos much anyways, so I'm going to be making it w/ a scorpion ...

They are calling for one jalapeno at 5 mins, chopped, but I'm thinking I might want to just plop it in there whole for taming reasons, especially in only 2 gals of beer ...

What do you recommend - whole, whole w/ a slit, halved, or chopped? ... or withheld altogether, lol, and just make a saison and call it a day ...

you throw a scorpion in your beer and you will hate yourself

best way I have used peppers is in the fermenter, let the peppers age in the beer, and it doesnt take a lot

I did 5 jalapenos for 30 gallons and it was enough to get the flavor and some heat

But if you wanna use them, just poke holes in them and call it a day

wheebz said:
you throw a scorpion in your beer and you will hate yourself

best way I have used peppers is in the fermenter, let the peppers age in the beer, and it doesnt take a lot

I did 5 jalapenos for 30 gallons and it was enough to get the flavor and some heat

But if you wanna use them, just poke holes in them and call it a day

sounds like skip-the-peppers to me ...

i'll be having jalapeno-less saison - thanks for answering ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430013473.382544.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430013483.433125.jpg

Just need a spray aerator tip and I'm golden on 170F water, delivered ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430013747.547223.jpg

That's the unknown grain (mix?) for the saison kit - can you make a more educated guess based on knowledge of style what a good mash temp will be, since I can set-it-and-forget-it tonight?

If not, I'll just go w/ 150F to be safe =)

CHEERS!

wheebz, converting Light DME to Grain, if I needed 4 pounds of Light DME what would I need in Grain and would I use 2 Row, Marris Otter or something else for it?

2 row works, and it all depends on your mash efficiency to determine what you would need in poundage

basically there isnt a simple conversion on your first time going to all grain equipment from DME because you have no idea what the extract potential of your mash tun and new set up is

assuming 70% efficiency then. The recipe calls for 4 lbs Light DME and 4.5 Lbs. Marris Otter. Would a good starting point be say 10 lbs. of Marris Otter?

Back