• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ate my first Trinidad super hot last night...

I also ate my last Trinidad super hot last night! I can honestly say that it was one of the worst 20 minutes of my life. I have mucho respect for you guys that can just pop these things whole and not go into some sort of panic attack. But I ate half of a barrackpore 7 pot that I split with a buddy of mine, and we were both completely incapacitated for what felt like an eternity. I just wanted the pain to stop, and there were no dairy products in the house whatsoever. I ended up puking because the gut pain was so bad...and honestly, I could handle the mouth and throat burn, but once it hit my stomach, it felt like a hydrogen bomb went off and I could barely crawl to the bathroom. I even made sure that I ate a solid meal beforehand, but it made absolutely no difference. I'm waiting for some douglah's to ripen up, but I will definitely not have a repeat of last night. These things are meant for incorporating with food in small amounts, not straight up, by themselves.

Ouch.

yeah... I am growing some super hots... but its not to pop whole into my mouth! I will be useing them for cooking, making powders, sauces, etc. There Is absolutly no way I could just pop a 7 pod into my mouth and go to town. So props to you for even trying :cheers: I normally just cut off a very small piece so I can get an idea of what it taste like so I can use it in a meal. :dance:

Very true but a good bite at least once will give you that full flavor and heat appreciation. By good bite I don't mean even half the pepper if it is a big pepper.

Learned my lesson last year with a Trinidad Red Scorp in Pepp3rfreak's garden. Holding onto his fence for 10-15 minutes until the endorphins, released by the 1/3 of the pod I chomped on, wore off and allowed me to walk like a semi-sober man again. To this day I still heed the "chew for 10 seconds then decide" rule.

Oh, and just for good measure, I got stung by a hornet only 10 minutes after I regained my composure. I was merely recuperating outside, sipping on a glass of wine, and a hornet decided that it had enough of me minding my own business and stung me right in the middle of my back. Not a good day for pain...

lol, i know what ya going thru as i had my first hottie experiance recently . i was laughing at your post as i was reliving my evening with the brute bhut. ps maybe the hornet mistook you for a pepper and wanted to help you polinate :rofl: . we only ate a dime size piece and it was like a fire drill. :mouthonfire:

The hornet should have stung you on the lips...that would have helped cool off the burning, lol.

I too just popped my t-scorp 'cherry'. I always do the 1/4 bite method, to get an idea of what the pepper is suited for. I...for some damn reason...finish the chew, and swallow whatever I bit off. When I tried the scorp the other day, I was at my neighbor's house. I bit into it, and didn't completely sever the pepper...so when I pulled back, the pepper ripped open about half way before breaking loose. I figured...I'm already committed...might as well just eat the huge chunk of pod that came loose. :onfire:

Oh...and I don't know anyone who just pops these exotics...do I?

You are crazy. I take a sliver and follow the ten second rule like Justaguy. I eat hot peppers everyday but there is NO WAY I could handle a whole scorp or bhut. NO WAY. You must have been high as a kite after the endorphins kicked in.
:eek:

I usually do about 1/4 depending on the size of the pepper..

Some of my pods are so huge that ¼ of it would mean certain death, at least to me. Well I guess I'll always be a candy ass when it comes to eating whole superhots. I eat them in food all the time, but can't seem to build up enough tolerance to go to the big show.

Everytime I listen to or read these stories I get a good chuckle. Every chili heads been through it at some point, some more than others, but every time I hear these types of stories I envision that very moment where curiosity, bravery, machismo, ect switches over to "expletive...what have I done?". :rofl: :rofl:

It's different for everybody, but the expression one makes when they get that point of no return feeling, where you know your going for ride whether you like it or not is just priceless.

Some of my pods are so huge that ¼ of it would mean certain death, at least to me. Well I guess I'll always be a candy ass when it comes to eating whole superhots. I eat them in food all the time, but can't seem to build up enough tolerance to go to the big show.

Yeah I dont think I will every be able to just eat a whole pod. But congrats on the huge pods! :dance:

Everytime I listen to or read these stories I get a good chuckle. Every chili heads been through it at some point, some more than others, but every time I hear these types of stories I envision that very moment where curiosity, bravery, machismo, ect switches over to "expletive...what have I done?". :rofl: :rofl:

It's different for everybody, but the expression one makes when they get that point of no return feeling, where you know your going for ride whether you like it or not is just priceless.

Oh I remember the first time (and last time) that I just popped a whole pod into my mouth! I saw a guy eat a habanero (cant really remember what kind I was very young) and just stood there like it was nothing, And I though well shit if he can do it I can do it the most it will do is burn right?... Wrong after 20 minutes of hiccups, rubbing my eyes, and throwing up... I never ate another whole pod.. just enough to taste... dang... that was when I was 12... ahh to be 12 again...

I have mucho respect for you guys that can just pop these things whole and not go into some sort of panic attack.

People just do that so that they can say that they did it - I don't think that there are many people who actually enjoy it...

The panic probably goes away if you do it so often that you can convince your brain that your body will survive... :lol:

I should probably add that I have eaten whole Bhut Jolokia's before, and yes they were hot as hell, but I believe the hype now...Trinidad superhots are noticeably hotter than any Bhut/Naga I have ever tasted.

I am also probably mentally insane, because I want another crack at the Barrackpore 7 pot. I am thinking that if I coat my stomach with a large, greasy meal, I can get by the stomach pain and maybe, just maybe sit through a superhot without panicking. That stomach pain was unbearable, and probably close to what others describe when they take extract sauces.

I should probably add that I have eaten whole Bhut Jolokia's before, and yes they were hot as hell, but I believe the hype now...Trinidad superhots are noticeably hotter than any Bhut/Naga I have ever tasted.

I am also probably mentally insane, because I want another crack at the Barrackpore 7 pot. I am thinking that if I coat my stomach with a large, greasy meal, I can get by the stomach pain and maybe, just maybe sit through a superhot without panicking. That stomach pain was unbearable, and probably close to what others describe when they take extract sauces.

As to the pepper above...probably doesn't live up to the hype. ;)

OK...I jest.

Tonight, I made dutch oven chicken pot-pie using layers of pottoes instead of crust or breading. I added a layer of fresh scorp right under the top layer of potato. Chile-high lasted 20 minutes. :)

As to the pepper above...probably doesn't live up to the hype. ;)
Well, I've had a few red bhuts that I could get away with eating half of,and with milk almost a whole one, with a break.As pepper heat varies greatly even on the same plant.Yep theres a few duds out there.....supreme example the store produce habs, and red caribs.But choc bhuts and seven pots, have made me a whole lot more reserved as far as gobbling them down.I have never picked a mature big ole choc bhut off my plants and been able to finish it.Not fresh or a day or so off the plant.My wife got to witness my learning curve, the daily intake of breath after that one bite too much....these aren't orange habs!I am also more protective of people tryin to be a hot shot and tryin to get on to gobble in front of people.Well there was one guy,a sawmill worker/elk guide covered with scars, missing a digit off each hand....had a few choc bhuts next to some habs I was puree'in fer a quick fix hot sauce.I took the hab out out his first grab...."you don't want to do that!!"Then I GOT ONE "sHEE
$$$$$T Boa", AH eat "them 'penas" lak candy,know what ahm sayin to ya??You maht be ascared of em, but I 'm gonna show ya how a man eats a pepper(rolloin' his eyes at everyone in the cabin)!"Okay ,sport,....I started to get a hab,said you'll chew it up real good,gulpin' is cheatin", I got another "Sheeee%$$t Boa" and plucked up a choc bhut,popped it in his mouth, chomped it up,.....then the fire went to causing massive spontaneous precipitation and "oh my god what have I done realization" and you can guess the rest. I used a prybar to open the bath room door(he wasn't comin out), made him drink several glasses of milk,eat some bread an sugar, and left him to recover.He climbed out the window and jumped in his truck and was never seen again.......I've never allowed that to happen again, but it certainly was educational, I never just pop a whole one in my mouth-THOUGH I DID WATCH A YOUNG LADY DO THAT JUST LAST NIGHT!Right here in fact.....

Back