contest August Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Gov. Rick Perry not too long ago signed legislation that declared the hamburger to be the official state sandwich of Texas.

Every body knows I'm a born and raised Texan.

And a damn fool for burgers.

Somehow I reckon that most Texans would choose a bbq brisket sandwich as the official state sandwich.

And I reckon I am inclined to agree.

Texas brisket on plain white bread with some pickle chips eaten off of some wax paper is as close to heaven as you can get.

That is....

Lessen' they have Texas brisket up there.

WAIT.

I once new of a Chuy's BBQ down in the RGV years ago.

Chuy is a nickname for the name Jesus.

Jesus is in heaven.

Yep! GOD bbq's Texas brisket!!!!

TB where you at in TX? I used to work at a place called State Line BBQ in El Paso (known elsewhere as County Line BBQ). Great brisket sandwiches. Slow smoked at least 18hrs on 4 huge merry go round rack smokers...

I ain't doin' no stinkin tuna fish sammich.

I might go all Alaskan deep fried halibut sammich.

Or East Texas style, with a a shrimp po'boy. The Louisiana influence is strong in East Texas.

Or maybe I'll go Rio Grande Valley style with pan campo and cobrito.

I'ma sleep on it.

No research.

Stc I'm currently in Oak Point or Little Elm, depending on where the mail comes from though it says Oak Point on my mortgage.

I've lived all over Texas at one time or another.

South Padre.

The RGV.

Corpus.

Austin.

Abilene.

And of course, San Antonio, where I was born.

I've been to El Paso many times but never for 'que. It was always Tex-Mex food and the last time I was there was about 40 years ago.

Suhweet...when I retire I'll be about 100 miles due East of you. Just North of Sulphur Springs in the Como/Pickton area. Born in Austin and I've lived in...
El Paso twice
McAllen
Ingleside/Aransas Pass
Nacogdoches
and the thriving metropolis of Carrizo Springs.
Can't wait to get back to TX...

Let's see.... it was the Westbury area of Houston for me, then Clear Lake City, then Friendswood, Pearland, The Woodlands, and lastly, Spring. Then off to Torrance, CA, followed by Lyndhurst and then South Euclid, OH.

Heh... are you getting the idea that Texans move around quite a bit?

I think JayT may got Pittsburgh, not Philly. Fries on the sammie.

TB... goin' Texas. geeme too?

Is SoFlo going Cuban?

This is getting predictable! :)

I did? International is open not sure what you mean. I mentioned falafel, Cuban... Greek, Middle Eastern have some great sammies. Everywhere does! I hope people explore international.

Please quote me I don't know what you mean. geeme trippin'.

Is soflo going Cuban?

That's racist!

I'll have you know I'm quite close to the Florida keys.
As in key largo, key west, margaritaville, steel drums, calypso, etc...
Conch, snapper, grouper, mahi, I could go on...

Methinks this will be my featured region.

WITH a banana leaf! (suck it, haters!)

Also geeme you are supposed to take a sandwich known to an area and I don't know of any known to India. But it's not just make anything Indian.
I understood up front it wasn't just anything, as you said regional sandwiches. I was thinking of India in two ways: 1) I have friends from India who make sandwiches they tell me are made in India, and 2) I was using that in a general way along with non-American to mean international. I don't know what your body of known sandwiches is, so if it's got to be something "known" in your book, I'll stick with American. Easy peasy, and makes life simpler for me, anyway.

Geeme you are reading my post wrong. It means if you like vindaloo you can't just roll it up in roti bread unless that is actually a known sandwich there. A regional favorite, so to speak. So if there is a sandwich known to a part of India, do it. Do you get it now?

Like a Cuban. A known sandwich to a region. That's what this TD is.

If you can introduce it to us even better. It does not have to be known to me. No fun in that.

I'm still missing where I "poo poo'ed international" but I think I've explained it now??

Cuban has a well known following as is known now as SOTM has shown.

Still, a Cubano could very well rock this t-down.

G~ do your 'thang with your whatever Indian/Ohio thang.

The real threats are SoFLo and most 'specially Aussie.

SoFlo goes without sayin' but them Aussie bastiges are not human.

DTS can beat us just by saying hello.

I reckon that's where the baff' salt zombie 'thang came from originally.

Brainstorm session...

Banh Mi (Vietnam)
Kentucky Hot Brown
Philadelphia Cheese Steak
Primanti Bros Style (Pittsburgh)
Cuban (Cuba/South FL.)
Muffuletta/Po Boy (New Orleans)
Reuben (NYC)
Huge Deli Sandwich, Pastrami, Corned Beef (NYC)
French Dip (LA)
Beef on Weck (Buffalo, NY)
The Spiedie (Binghampton, NY)
Fluffernutter (New England)
Croque-Monsieur/Croque-Madame (France)
Falafel/Kebab Sandwiches (Middle East)
Donner (Turkey)
Gyro/Souvlaki (Greece)
Italian Beef (Chicago)
Chicago Dog
Beer Brat Sandwich (Wisconsin)
Lobster Roll (Maine)
Continental Roll (Australia)
Filled Roll (New Zealand)
Gatsby (Cape Town, South Africa)
Sous-marin (Montreal)
Spuckie (Boston)
Pulled Pork (North Carolina/South)
Brisket Sandwich (Texas/South)
Torta (Mexico)

...and so many more.

My favorite sammie in the world is pastrami, dark rye, and a shat-load of mater.

But I'll be presenting something not on the list...

Hello...

Hello...?

Hello...!!!

Damn it TB, it didn't work!

Oh well, gonna have to resort to bribing ppl's for votes again. Didn't work last time but I've got nuttin better to do anyhoo.

And THP you one eyed fat bastige, can you delete New Zealand's entry. WTF is is a filled roll..?!

Could be anything. A true Kiwi sandwich is roast lamb, mint jelly, kumara, yams and gravy with 37 long necks of Speights and a VHS of the best ever All Black Tries :D

Geeme you are reading my post wrong. It means if you like vindaloo you can't just roll it up in roti bread unless that is actually a known sandwich there. A regional favorite, so to speak. So if there is a sandwich known to a part of India, do it. Do you get it now?
Heh. I "got it" when you first posted that it was going to be regional sandwiches, which is probably why your response confused me. I never had any intent of just making "anything" and putting it on bread, but making a sammie known as a sammie wherever. So I guess you didn't understand me and in turn, I didn't understand you, even though we were both talking the same thing at first. Seems like we may be on the same page now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back