• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Aussie Burnzy's first grow log

G'day,

So Im starting this early (really early),

We are in the lead up to winter in Melbourne but preparation should always start early. Fair to say nothing of mine has started yet, let alone finished. It's not my first year growing peppers but it is my first year growing more exotic peppers.
My inspiration came from tasting reaper paste. HOLY SH!T Ba!!$ that was hot! But I liked it. Now I cant get enough. Sad but true....

I really want to start this log so I can keep track of updates for myself. I've seen so many awesome logs on here that I kinda feel like I need this to keep it all in one place myself. So it's not about you, it's about me lol.

My list as it is:

From http://thehippyseedcompany.com/ Efficient dispatch, less than 24 hours perfect!
THSC Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion
THSC 7 Pod Douglah
Dorset Naga
Fatali Pepper
Pimenta de Neyde
Red Cayenne Pepper

From http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/ Well, AFAIK it hasnt left yet and ordered a day before THSC. Hopefully my goods arrive....eventually.
Smoking Ed's Carolina Reaper
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Moruga Scorpion

On top of this I have a few things I want to test. Im a beginner folks so what happens happens. I have some plants that are doing OK this year that I want to try seeds from and overwinter. "Not isolated...nothing special...really just to see what will happen. Aldo have a handful of dare I say supermarket seeds. C'mon man supermarket seeds are cool as! They're free and that fits well with me. If they come out true then even better.

What I will be trying:
Butch T From Chilli Factory - Will also try to overwinter this one.
Orange Habanero From Bunnings
Red Habanero From Coles...We will see.

I currently have a fridge that was highjacked at an earlier stage and met face to face with a grinder and now has 2 'vent' holes either side of it. (makes some ripper salami and killer Prosciutto) and now has a new life of growing seed. Currently in testing but here it is:
bMuyoNrl.jpg

Taking a look at the year as it is:

Butch T:
Great looking healthy plant but only 6 pods in March. A little disappointing but will use the seeds.

QSINX2Jl.jpg

Seeds from this pod:
F7MSaPNl.jpg

Orange Habanero that struggled a little to start but pushing daisies all day long now:
OnL4nNul.jpg

VUMXVlTl.jpg

Not Peat. They are the Pot n all containers made out of Coconut fiber. Same as the Masters/ Chilli Factory ones. Thanks for the heads up though. I will keep a close eye on them.

[media]https://youtu.be/uODPOLEmd3k[/media]

I woke up this morning and noticed my heat light had blown and it's sitting at 17 degrees. I will grab a new one at lunch and put it in but hopefully the drop in temp won't have any affect on the seeds.  :tear:

Update so far;

I have 13 of 30 up and doing well. Still waiting on a bunch to make an appearance though. I didn't soak any seeds to start with and notice quite a few people do this. Straight in the soil mix.

Speaking of soil mix it went as follows;

50% seed raising and cutting mix
25% perlite
25% Peat Moss

This is what has popped so far (11 days);

Cayenne; 3 (3)
Tepin chilli; 2 (2)
Carolina Reaper; 2 (3)
Jays Peach Goast; 2 (3)
Dorset Naga; 1 (3)
Pluma; 1 (2)
Red Morouga; 1 (3)
Fatalli; 1 (3)
Douglah; 0 (3)
Choc Trinidad scorp; 0 (3)
Pymenta De Neyde; 0 (2)

A little slower than I thought but there's still plenty of time. I think.

Does anyone think these are too close to the lights?
TJ7DKpi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow super early start!! It's always a good feeling to see the first sprouts.
Interested to see how you go with those pots, I have used them before as wasn't a fan. This was primarily because I didn't like planting the whole pot come transplant and waiting for it to breakdown. I thought the roots got a better start come transplant time without having to burrow through the coir pot.

Light level should be ok as long as it isn't generating too much heat. Do you have a fan in there for circulation?

Good times Burnzy! 

Where did you get your fatalii seeds?  I have been having a few issues getting mine to grow.  These and scotch bonnets are proving elusive on my second run. Reapers came up in 3 days.  Go figure.  

I have exactly the same lights, they do put out a bit, maybe raise them a couple of inches and then drop it back down.  My aji are loving them now.  

tsurrie said:
depends on the heat the light is generating....
congrats on the sprouts

Thanks! Just tested the heat at plant level and it was mid 34° so moved them down about 2 inch and getting around 32° so will leave for the moment. 
Pinhigh said:
Wow super early start!! It's always a good feeling to see the first sprouts.
Interested to see how you go with those pots, I have used them before as wasn't a fan. This was primarily because I didn't like planting the whole pot come transplant and waiting for it to breakdown. I thought the roots got a better start come transplant time without having to burrow through the coir pot.
Light level should be ok as long as it isn't generating too much heat. Do you have a fan in there for circulation?

Haha! Yeah maybe a little too early but I'll be working hard to ensure they survive the winter.
I chose these pots because I bought a butchT that came in one. I planted it and took off instantly! No transplant shock whatsoever. Super impressed so hoping the same will happen with these. Small fan at the base of fridge but due to heat I need to keep the door cracked so it's useless. I will be getting a small fan this weekend. It certainly needs it! 
Bumper said:
Good times Burnzy! 

Where did you get your fatalii seeds?  I have been having a few issues getting mine to grow.  These and scotch bonnets are proving elusive on my second run. Reapers came up in 3 days.  Go figure.  

I have exactly the same lights, they do put out a bit, maybe raise them a couple of inches and then drop it back down.  My aji are loving them now.
Fatalii's came from Hippy seed co but from what I've read they are generally slow to germinate so I'm happy one has come up. Same with the reapers (well 2 of them). 4-5 days I think! Time for me to play a little catch up Bumper! You're well ahead.

The aji lemons and tobasco are 6 inches tall now, but round two plantings are just a little bigger than yours.  I'll have one more round of seed planting and I'll have to call it quits, the tent will be full to the brim by October. Once I've got another crop off the ghost and hab they'll be pruned right back to make some space.  

Having purchased from a few companies, THSC seeds have been the most consistent sprouting so far.  I've got aji amarillo, goat peppers, reapers, jamaican gold, purple ufo's all putting roots down.  Going to put some fresh 7 pot seeds from Aussie's pods in in a fortnight and few thai strains and the chillies are done and I'll start planning the veg plantings.  Starting a full crop rotation system out the back this year, can't wait.  

Well it's been a rocky few weeks getting these seedlings up and running! I think I've certainly made some mistakes!

First, I went away for the Queens bday long weekend and decided to "greenhouse" the seedlings with glad wrap to keep moisture in. Big mistake! The temp got way to hot and a few seedlings didn't make it.

Second, as Trippa said with peat pots, these coir pots are impossible to keep consistent moisture. Either too dry or too wet. So my seedlings are going from over watered to under watered.

Currently they are bone dry but are reall yellow and dropping leaves.
sNKKNHD.jpg

My cayennes are showing some serious leaf curl from what I think is the same issue. However being a little larger aren't getting enough water at any time even with a full drench. But are still yellowing. I moved them into larger pots today so hopefully they will start to improve.
bx473gg.jpg

If all else fails I might need to start again. In fact I may do anyway and just have more plants.

I am currently planning a front yard vegie patch with up to 6 8×4' raised beds. My front yard faces direct North and the back yard is almost non existant at about 3 meters wide. Zero sun during winter and only a few hours during summer. Not really worth while focusing time and money on the backyard for plants.

Hopefully I can turn things around from here on in!

Cheers.

Bumper said:
Hi mate. Might be fungus gnats giving you the curl too. Sorry to here you lost a few.
G'day Bumper. I had considered that but they are fairly well enclosed. I haven't seen any adults or any other sign but I'm sure possible though. Might put a sticky trap in there to see if I pick up anything.

After potting up the 3 cayennes last night I decided it's probably worth while doing all at once. So today the remaining seedlings went in to 5" pots.

Soil mix of peat moss, perlite, seedling mix, and also some cow manure blend from last season (assume well aged) a small amount of worm castings and a hand full of soil activator to see if it helps.
ANuhnrO.jpg

A feeling of relief has come over me! My plants are looking much better with some beautiful looking growth coming through.

Thought I'd share some pics;
TjPkap4.jpg

yV5n3HS.jpg

A8x5xeq.jpg

ijgkPZU.jpg

Since I've got limited space in the backyard and moving house is not an option right now I've been planning something new. Something a little different. Should look bloody awesome once complete. A quick sketch first to give you the idea.
iCGxTrb.jpg

I never really liked looking at 'just' grass or managing weeds so the front yard will be the new vegie patch. Got awesome neighbours in my court so this will work well. First box is done and more to come this weekend.

o4pGBJ5.jpg

On a side note I just read the book; Teaming with microbes. This year will be just that. A huge focus on the microbiology of my soil and feeding only organic materials. Hopefully it will be a successful season!

All the best!

Glad they came good for you. Looks like you are going to be well setup for the season. I have been reading up more on improving soils as well, and am starting a four bed rotational planting system this year on this basis for the veggies.
Just checked out the book you recommended too.  Great reading, thanks!  With aquariums and brewing in my hobbies, the compost tea is an easy transition.

Bumper said:
Glad they came good for you. Looks like you are going to be well setup for the season. I have been reading up more on improving soils as well, and am starting a four bed rotational planting system this year on this basis for the veggies.Just checked out the book you recommended too.  Great reading, thanks!  With aquariums and brewing in my hobbies, the compost tea is an easy transition.
Seems you and I are from the same tribe Bumper! Both are also hobbies of mine but lack of time and space is my killer! My kegs have sat clean for a couple months and well overdue for a new brew. I only have one 4' tank that bred a load of fancy guppies but is now to be revamped for what my 4yr old son decided is for turtles.

Just getting to the end of our cold weather and the occasional frost rears it head. As ugly as it may be to plants it has its own majestic beauty.

pSidTOZ.jpg

2mUozDA.jpg

I've been busy building the new beds which is taking much longer than I originally anticipated but it is still moving along whenever time permits. Days are short so only days off allows for building. My micorrhizal inoculant has arrived and worm farm is cranking (no where near as much as I need) and I am heading out this weekend to pick up a few 100ltr of vermiculite, perlite and peat moss or coco coir to add to compost for the beds. I looked at Azomite for a rock dust and the main supplier in Oz wants $66 + postage of $31.90! Nearly $100 for 20kg. The bastiges! It seems nothing here compares to the range of minerals found in that stuff and hate to need to buy something that had to travel all the way from Utah but... I NEED it.

So far so good I guess!

V7aCIwL.jpg

7dnaZEY.jpg

To finish this post off. One of my fatalli seedlings was lacking a little colour after planting up in the 5" pots so gave them a feed of worm castings and they are growing like crazy! One thing I noticed is the rippled leaves? Normal or lacking something?

ctUNqPD.jpg

Burnzy said:
To finish this post off. One of my fatalli seedlings was lacking a little colour after planting up in the 5" pots so gave them a feed or worm castings and they are growing like crazy! One thing I noticed is the rippled leaves? Normal or lacking something?

ctUNqPD.jpg
That looks normal and very healthy to me. I think the bumpiness will go away but its presence doesn't mean anything is wrong and I wouldn't do anything to correct it.

New beds are looking good!

Nice work there Burnzy. We still are getting -6 mornings here, I envy your light frost! I have a 60l fermenter For the compost tea and will use a spare large hop bag to hold the compost so I can drain it straight out the tap. I have a 1400m block so volume will be key for me. Most of my superhots have a degree of bump on there leaves, your plants look healthy to me. Did you build or buy your worm farm?

1400m block. That's why I want to move. I just don't have that sort of room. In fact I need a few acres. I grew up in a really small town until 9yrs old. Almost everything we ate came from our 1.5 acres. I don't want to sell this house though because the location is good. So unless I save hard or win the lotto it's not happening in the next few years.

Yeah I bought the worm bin because it had the tap for leachate and thought it much more convenient. After reading more about leachate I'm not overly keen on using it straight from the tap anyway due to its anaerobic state. So I'll use the castings as an AACT to maximise the beneficial microbes for my plants. My brother built his from scrap wood at 1.5x1.5m. Works a treat! Masses of worms doing their thing and composting rapidly. I kinda wish I did that now but either way. The black gold will still come! I bought the can'o'worms farm from Bunnings for $67.

I'm waitimg on 24 capsicum seeds to pop now and time to get my tomato seeds in. This time I'll try a seed inoculation of micorhizae and hope they start out nice and strong.

Burnzy said:
1400m block. That's why I want to move. I just don't have that sort of room. In fact I need a few acres. I grew up in a really small town until 9yrs old. Almost everything we ate came from our 1.5 acres. I don't want to sell this house though because the location is good. So unless I save hard or win the lotto it's not happening in the next few years.

Yeah I bought the worm bin because it had the tap for leachate and thought it much more convenient. After reading more about leachate I'm not overly keen on using it straight from the tap anyway due to its anaerobic state. So I'll use the castings as an AACT to maximise the beneficial microbes for my plants. My brother built his from scrap wood at 1.5x1.5m. Works a treat! Masses of worms doing their thing and composting rapidly. I kinda wish I did that now but either way. The black gold will still come! I bought the can'o'worms farm from Bunnings for $67.

I'm waitimg on 24 capsicum seeds to pop now and time to get my tomato seeds in. This time I'll try a seed inoculation of micorhizae and hope they start out nice and strong.
1400 isn't enough either mate!  After fruit trees, cider trees, perry trees, berries and grow beds, I am fast running out of room!!

I would love to move to a smallholding down in Tilba, it is some of the best land in Australia I reckon down there.  My folks have 40 acres outside canberra, but the summers are bloody tough, if they didn't have the bore it would be impossible to grow most things there.  Perfect temperatures for most things in Tilba, great rainfall, incredible soil and…..no jobs.  The thought of moving after all we have planted here also prevents us from taking the plunge. 

I'm about to start the seasonal veg seeds too.  Can't wait for spring.  24 capsicum plants?!!  Damn your garden is going to be packed!   

Bumper said:
I would love to move to a smallholding down in Tilba, it is some of the best land in Australia I reckon down there.  My folks have 40 acres outside canberra, but the summers are bloody tough, if they didn't have the bore it would be impossible to grow most things there.  Perfect temperatures for most things in Tilba, great rainfall, incredible soil and..no jobs.  The thought of moving after all we have planted here also prevents us from taking the plunge. 

I'm about to start the seasonal veg seeds too.  Can't wait for spring.  24 capsicum plants?!!  Damn your garden is going to be packed!
Tilba Gold! Renowned for its beautiful fertile soil and for good reason! Yep it's definitely the type of place you need to make your own income though.

I went to look at a nice piece of land. Total 130 acres with 45 acres of nice usable land and the rest a steepish hill side. Unfortunately the missus wouldn't buy in to it. To isolated she reckons... The bloke was giving his livestock with the land! 25 red deer, 35 dorper sheep, 8 goats and 3 Angus steer! Fenced beautifully and nicely pastured paddocks. Then I found a small functioning nursery on 14 acres. Coulda been on a real winner there! Ah well, I'll keep working on her. :)

Sidetracked! I won't need all 24 capsicums but thought if the germ rate isn't great I'll still have enough. If they all germinate they can easily be given away. So far (since last night) I have 6 hooks! 4 varieties of tomatoes went in. 8 romas, 8 money makers, 4 mortgage lifters and 4 cherry toms. Once again they will make some nice giveaways if need be.

Now back to the reason we're here. Hot peppers!Took a look through my pics and about two weeks between these two pics after potting up.

ziRJVvdl.jpg

LfOVcpjl.jpg

Tomorrow is my day off so I'm off to buy some rock dusts, 200lt perlite, 800lt vermiculite and 14 x 5kg coco coir bricks for the raised beds. Then to get the compost and other amendments that my budget allows for. A nice sunny 14°C day so should be good!

Back