• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Aussie Burnzy's first grow log

G'day,

So Im starting this early (really early),

We are in the lead up to winter in Melbourne but preparation should always start early. Fair to say nothing of mine has started yet, let alone finished. It's not my first year growing peppers but it is my first year growing more exotic peppers.
My inspiration came from tasting reaper paste. HOLY SH!T Ba!!$ that was hot! But I liked it. Now I cant get enough. Sad but true....

I really want to start this log so I can keep track of updates for myself. I've seen so many awesome logs on here that I kinda feel like I need this to keep it all in one place myself. So it's not about you, it's about me lol.

My list as it is:

From http://thehippyseedcompany.com/ Efficient dispatch, less than 24 hours perfect!
THSC Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion
THSC 7 Pod Douglah
Dorset Naga
Fatali Pepper
Pimenta de Neyde
Red Cayenne Pepper

From http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/ Well, AFAIK it hasnt left yet and ordered a day before THSC. Hopefully my goods arrive....eventually.
Smoking Ed's Carolina Reaper
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Moruga Scorpion

On top of this I have a few things I want to test. Im a beginner folks so what happens happens. I have some plants that are doing OK this year that I want to try seeds from and overwinter. "Not isolated...nothing special...really just to see what will happen. Aldo have a handful of dare I say supermarket seeds. C'mon man supermarket seeds are cool as! They're free and that fits well with me. If they come out true then even better.

What I will be trying:
Butch T From Chilli Factory - Will also try to overwinter this one.
Orange Habanero From Bunnings
Red Habanero From Coles...We will see.

I currently have a fridge that was highjacked at an earlier stage and met face to face with a grinder and now has 2 'vent' holes either side of it. (makes some ripper salami and killer Prosciutto) and now has a new life of growing seed. Currently in testing but here it is:
bMuyoNrl.jpg

Taking a look at the year as it is:

Butch T:
Great looking healthy plant but only 6 pods in March. A little disappointing but will use the seeds.

QSINX2Jl.jpg

Seeds from this pod:
F7MSaPNl.jpg

Orange Habanero that struggled a little to start but pushing daisies all day long now:
OnL4nNul.jpg

VUMXVlTl.jpg

Ha, we are both starting more than a bit early!  Have you got a bigger indoor growing space as well as the fridge?  I guess you guys dodge the frosts down there though.  

I am 8 months from plants going outside again in Canberra, so trying to resist a big seed grow now that I won't be able to sustain until they can get the space they need.  Looking forward to the updates!

moruga welder said:
nice looking pod !      :onfire:
 Thanks! All the rest of them seem to be taking on a more regular Chinense shape. This is the only one that has the scorpion look.

Bumper said:
Ha, we are both starting more than a bit early!  Have you got a bigger indoor growing space as well as the fridge?  I guess you guys dodge the frosts down there though.  

I am 8 months from plants going outside again in Canberra, so trying to resist a big seed grow now that I won't be able to sustain until they can get the space they need.  Looking forward to the updates!
I don't really have any space outside the fridge but should have everything outdoors by mid August. Yeah we only get the odd frosty morning. The plan is that if they outgrow the fridge after pruning they will sit in the laundry which has west north west glass door and outside on the good days.

I will be using these once they outgrow my little seedling pots: http://www.potnall.com.au/catalogue/item/10/212.
My Butch T came in one and seemed to take off once planted in the ground. No transplant shock at all.

Had my seeds delivered today!

Niel and Charlotte from THSC were kind enough to throw in a free pack of tepin chilli seeds and a taste of the choc scorp! It doesn't look great in the pic but still fresh. Man I'm looking forward to growing these! Love the taste.
pELYVPTl.jpg

Wildfire chilli have also added an additional pack of Jays Peach Ghost seeds. I love the generousity of chilli companies!
dB15x7rl.jpg

It's going to be hard to hold off until mid May before I start these off. Unless I come up with a plan to grow longer indoors....which is sounding like a reasonable idea...

Well the Butch T's are startin to ripen up. I need some advice. Why are they orange? I would have thought all pods would come out red? There is an orange hab not even a meter away. Is it possible the hab has pollinated the butchT creating an orange pod? I thought that would only happen with the second gen? I guess it make sense though...The butchT was purchased from The Chilli Factory so one would think they are a reputable source. Any thoughts?
dzFL7uqt.jpg
cMobjgAt.jpg

Maybe leave them on a little longer?  Once off the plant, many of my chillies keep turning dark red. Nice pods! 

You won't see any difference in appearance from a variety of plant that has cross pollinated until the following season when you grow out the resultant seeds from the cRoss. Leave them on the plant longer and they may ripen red
By the way seeing as you are in Melbourne you have a great seed source and reputable grower right on your doorstep. Check out Grant at www.junglerain.com.au ... Great guy and seeds

I do have 1 pod that looks like that MW but it is still green. This pod was much smaller though. I got this butchT from Bunnings (TCF range) as a seedling and planted in November so it spent most of it's time growing with very little flowering or pods. I hope to overwinter it and see if it can produce again later this year.

Thanks Bumper and Trippa. I will leave the remaining pods on until they are red. I didn't realise they would go orange first. Yes Trippa I have also contacted Grant for a list of everything he has. Very helpful guy. My backyard space is limited so I will grow what I have this season and once I get a feel for some favourites I will be contacting him again.

Although I love a lot of heat it's not all about that for me. There is nothing better than a reasonably hot pepper with a delicious taste! :-)

Bunnings did a run of Butch T?  Must have been local, just the usual cayennes, jalapeños and orange habanero here. I have seen some other threads about maturity and shape, so could be because it is a first season growing out of usual climate it is still coming into it's own.  MW's are the classic shape though, perhaps it is unintentional hybrid seed grown too close to another variety?

Jungle Rain has a great range and good service, and a great reputation, which is worth more than the first two combined.  

Masters had the chilli factory seedlings for the past couple of seasons in a fairly wide range ... Never touched them personally but a guy I knew used to buy a few of them ...

Bumper said:
Bunnings did a run of Butch T?  Must have been local, just the usual cayennes, jalapeños and orange habanero here. I have seen some other threads about maturity and shape, so could be because it is a first season growing out of usual climate it is still coming into it's own.  MW's are the classic shape though, perhaps it is unintentional hybrid seed grown too close to another variety?

Jungle Rain has a great range and good service, and a great reputation, which is worth more than the first two combined.  
Damn did I say Bunnings? No I mean Masters - They're both the same to me - No sorry, I mean Masters has a range from The Chilli Factory. Since Alex from The Chilli Factory spent all that time getting the Butch T in guinness world records one would think that he should have the purest strain of ButchT's available (not to say Butch Taylor's actual seeds would be much different). As soon as the large chilli on the plants is ripe it will be trimmed back and potted up for the winter. I will be doing my best to keep this one going. I would love to see what it produces second time around. I have never had much luck in overwintering any other chillies but have never really tried. THP may change all of that... :dance:

Oh really?  We had a Masters open last year here, I will definitely head over there next spring.  Didn't know the lineage, makes sense then about juvenile versus mature plant.  

Lights, indoors, action.  That simple! (well, and space, and a fan, and nutrients, and pedantic tendencies to keep looking for aphids….)  Mine took 4 weeks to adjust but they are going gangbusters inside now.  

Burnzy said:
Damn did I say Bunnings? No I mean Masters - They're both the same to me - No sorry, I mean Masters has a range from The Chilli Factory. Since Alex from The Chilli Factory spent all that time getting the Butch T in guinness world records one would think that he should have the purest strain of ButchT's available (not to say Butch Taylor's actual seeds would be much different). As soon as the large chilli on the plants is ripe it will be trimmed back and potted up for the winter. I will be doing my best to keep this one going. I would love to see what it produces second time around. I have never had much luck in overwintering any other chillies but have never really tried. THP may change all of that... :dance:

Bumper said:
Oh really?  We had a Masters open last year here, I will definitely head over there next spring.  Didn't know the lineage, makes sense then about juvenile versus mature plant.  

Lights, indoors, action.  That simple! (well, and space, and a fan, and nutrients, and pedantic tendencies to keep looking for aphids.)  Mine took 4 weeks to adjust but they are going gangbusters inside now.
Things are looking great with yours Bumper! I have a few more weeks before the seeds go in then the fun starts!

This has yet to let me down when it comes to aphids.

ulqde4dm.jpg

Finally! It's time!

Put my seeds in today. I have never grown anything from seed to this extent. A few seeds here and there but usually just bought seedlings. I really hope this works out well. If it does i'll be hooked for life!

Ik7fGs3m.jpg

I have them in my old fridge now with a heat light and temp set to between 28-32°C so I will now wait to see some hooks.
xFct0IHm.jpg

Did you mist them with water and cover them with glad wrap? The guys who grow for the hippy seed co do this and it seems to work a treat. I use a seed raiser cloche to keep the moisture high. Good luck with them mate!

Bumper said:
Did you mist them with water and cover them with glad wrap? The guys who grow for the hippy seed co do this and it seems to work a treat. I use a seed raiser cloche to keep the moisture high. Good luck with them mate!

I have been misting them about 4-5 times a day so far. No glad wrap though although I thought about it after seeing TCF doing the same in their youtube vids. Glad wrap is almost out in my house so until I get a chance to go to the shops it's regular misting for me. I have put a container of water in there that should bring the humidity up a bit. Any ideas of what the humidity should be for chillies? I have a humidistat set up as well so I can keep an eye on this.

That will be plenty of misting once you get a cover on them with the container of water in there, sounds like it is under control!  

I haven't used a humidistat, so will wait for others, but mine would be in over 90% constantly with the heat mat and wet fleece they sit on, combined with a daily spray and plastic cloche over the top.    

Burnzy said:
Finally! It's time!

Put my seeds in today. I have never grown anything from seed to this extent. A few seeds here and there but usually just bought seedlings. I really hope this works out well. If it does i'll be hooked for life!

Ik7fGs3m.jpg

I have them in my old fridge now with a heat light and temp set to between 28-32°C so I will now wait to see some hooks.
xFct0IHm.jpg
Are those peat pots you are using ? If they are be very careful with keeping the soil a constant moisture as the peat pot itself wicks moisture from the soil into the pot and the losses can be significant. It can also create a dry layer where the moisture is drawn from which becomes hydrophobic and the water simply goes straight through but the base of the pot/soil becomes sodden because you need to water more to keep the pot moist ... they are a tough container to use For seeds/seedlings

Back