• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

sweets Aussie Licorice

Ashen said:
IMO Panda brand is still the best black licorice you can buy right now.

INGREDIENTS
Molasses, Wheat Flour, Licorice Extract, Natural Flavor (Aniseed Oil).

Panda is too gummy, I don't like the stick to your teeth stuff.

bob65 said:
Darrell Lea is an Australian brand.

Wiley Wallaby is not.

Bob have you ever heard of Kookaburra Licorice?  These guys are Australian and they import their licorice and most of the ingredients come from NSW's, except for the licorice extract, which is from Israel.  Their shop is fairly local to me here and people speak well of them.

Haven't tried it myself.

https://www.kookaburralicorice.com/

No, I have never heard of Kookaburra Licorice.

I had to look them up, it seems it is made in USA (by an Australian family though), so once again Australian "style" licorice.

I never knew that Australia was reknown for making licorice.

I know for sure I bought an Aussie brand, and it was way better than Panda. Soft but not gummy.

It could have been Darell Lea. I remember the bag was plastic but had a brown paper bag look.

Man, what a thread..

I've travelled the world and have found but two candies that I think awful and cannot eat. I still test it out every so often just to be sure, but each time... still sucks...

Licorice in any form...  :shocked:

and those Godawful "Circus Peanuts" .... horrible..

Maybe it's your thing, that's cool, they make it and people buy it. As for me, no can do... admittedly I eat some weird stuff.. but can't hack either of these.. go figure..

circus.jpeg

I have never heard of circus peanuts before, and I don't really eat licorice either.

I don't really have a sweet tooth at all, so candy (or lollies as they are known down here) and chocolate don't feature much in my diet.

bob65 said:
No, I have never heard of Kookaburra Licorice.

I had to look them up, it seems it is made in USA (by an Australian family though), so once again Australian "style" licorice.

I never knew that Australia was reknown for making licorice.

Actually 2 of the owners still live in Australia and 1 is here now with the business and the product is imported from Australia with most of the ingredients sourced locally in NSW.  Even has "Product of Australia" on the packaging,  I didn't know Australia was renowned for its licorice either, but after seeing this thread it made me wonder.  And it seems strange that there would be enough cache in it being important from Australia to make it worth doing so unless they were already established in Australia. Why not just mix it up here? Anyway...

But it all makes me wonder, how many fruit flies might get mixed in with the Australian licorice?
:shocked:

WarrantMan said:
Man, what a thread..

I've travelled the world and have found but two candies that I think awful and cannot eat. I still test it out every so often just to be sure, but each time... still sucks...

Licorice in any form...  :shocked:

and those Godawful "Circus Peanuts" .... horrible..

Maybe it's your thing, that's cool, they make it and people buy it. As for me, no can do... admittedly I eat some weird stuff.. but can't hack either of these.. go figure..

attachicon.gif
circus.jpeg
taste is so subjective. i`ll guess you don`t like Jagermeister liqueur.

CaneDog said:

Actually 2 of the owners still live in Australia and 1 is here now with the business and the product is imported from Australia with most of the ingredients sourced locally in NSW.  Even has "Product of Australia" on the packaging,  I didn't know Australia was renowned for its licorice either, but after seeing this thread it made me wonder.  And it seems strange that there would be enough cache in it being important from Australia to make it worth doing so unless they were already established in Australia. Why not just mix it up here? Anyway...

But it all makes me wonder, how many fruit flies might get mixed in with the Australian licorice?
:shocked:

Strange that I haven't heard of it at all.

The Kookaburra Licorice website "about" page says

"Kookaburra Liquorice is a family owned and operated company based in Washington state. It all began over fifteen years ago in Australia, the home of traditional soft eating liquorice. An Australian family travelled to America and realized that the USA didn’t have their favorite sweet treat – liquorice! So they decided to bring the tastiest liquorice in the world to the USA candy market."

It also says further down that it has been enjoyed by Australians for over 60 years and is made in Australia, so who knows.

The Hot Pepper said:

Panda is too gummy, I don't like the stick to your teeth stuff.
Texture is often an overlooked personal preference. Just out of interest, do you remember if it was the solid bars or honeycomb cut pieces you tried. I like the extruded honeycomb pieces for just that texture reason. Also I get it from a bulk store, it isn't stale, but it usually has firmed up a bit.

I personally don't like circus peanuts, candy corn, or anything that feels like you're chewing on sugar granules...like fudge. But I DO like licorice. So I decided to try the aforementioned Wiley Wallaby Australian "Style" black licorice (They have it at the dollar store here).

pTViKNf.jpg

I must say, I'm impressed with the fact that they're solid chunks...no hole through the middle like a straw. It feels hard through the package, but it was surprisingly soft! I like it! Now, I gotta try and find the Darrell Lea brand. Lol

Back