• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking bacon

i saw an older episode of good eats on foodnetwork yesterday. on it alton made his own bacon. basically marinated for 3 days, dried it completely, and then cold smoked for about 6 hours. looked good, but like a fair amount of work for something I can just go and buy.

has anyone ever made their own bacon before? any good / worth it? or too much work to bother with?

once you make your own bacon you wont like the commercial stuff anymore.

to me its worth everybit of effort put into it. making canadian bacon is also worth the effort

peter pepper said:
i saw an older episode of good eats on foodnetwork yesterday. on it alton made his own bacon. basically marinated for 3 days, dried it completely, and then cold smoked for about 6 hours. looked good, but like a fair amount of work for something I can just go and buy.

has anyone ever made their own bacon before? any good / worth it? or too much work to bother with?

Homemade bacon(Vitamin B to me) is so much better than anything store-bought, and not so hard to make, but its nice to have a proper smoker and live in a maple syrup land:)

POTAWIE said:
Homemade bacon(Vitamin B to me) is so much better than anything store-bought, and not so hard to make, but its nice to have a proper smoker and live in a maple syrup land:)

yes on everything you said..lol

this is why i made my filing cabinet smoker, i can cold smoke or hot smoke in it

I used a recipe from Joshua Weissman (homemade bacon). Not sure if direct links are allowed, but can easily google it. My family said it was the best bacon they ever had.

7 day cure.
20211217_094821.jpg

Post cure, 1 day uncovered in the frig.
20211218_113456.jpg

Post smoke to 150 deg F internal
20211218_191935.jpg

Sliced
20211219_091756.jpg

Cooked
20211219_093901.jpg

I started with Michael Ruhlman's charcuterie book years ago. It is a fair amount of work, but homemade bacon is much better than store bought. It's worth the effort to make it at least a few times per year.

I've my own several times now. It is well worth it

My local butcher sells pork bellies for $4.00-4.50 a pound.

Bacon in my area is up to $8-12.00 a pound.
Turkey bacon is around $3-15.00 per pound now.

Back