BACONNAISE

I too have heard of it...but I don't trust it......too good to be true...first there was bacon chedder potato chip covered peanuts, now this?

imaguitargod said:
I too have heard of it...but I don't trust it......too good to be true...first there was bacon chedder potato chip covered peanuts, now this?

I may risk trying it soon. I was just seeing if anyone else had any impressions on it.

that sounds so good! I'd use that all the time on sandwiches. It would be like a double blt!

It's even vegetarian, so Omri is definitely right. Nothing wrong with that as long as it tastes good imo!

Omri said:
It's not real bacon, just bacon flavored. proof? it's Kosher. :D

If the flavor is really artificial you might be right. If it's bacon extract it won't be Kosher. The chemist Justus von Liebig developped a meat extract in 1852. He made beef extract but I'm sure a porc extract would also be possible.

Armadillo said:
If the flavor is really artificial you might be right. If it's bacon extract it won't be Kosher. The chemist Justus von Liebig developped a meat extract in 1852. He made beef extract but I'm sure a porc extract would also be possible.
http://www.jdfoods.net/products/kosher.php
If anything even remotely related to bacon has ever been inside the place where they make this "Baconnaise", it wouldn't have been Kosher.

Omri said:
http://www.jdfoods.net/products/kosher.php
If anything even remotely related to bacon has ever been inside the place where they make this "Baconnaise", it wouldn't have been Kosher.

Yeah, I know. Even if it's the same dishes, same machine, same tools for the machines. What would the Rabbis say if it tastes exactly like porc but isn't? Are there various different opinions to that?

They say that a veggie helped develop it. They also say there's no artificial flavor. So maybe they found a mixture of spices reminding of bacon, as they do it with tofu-sausages and tofu-burgers. Maybe it's a soyonnaise?:D

nutrition-bnaise.gif

nutrition-bnaise-lite.gif

Soy bean oil... okay, I won't eat it. Hate that stuff. If I have to decide if I eat artificial stuff or soy oil or soy protein I prefer the artificial stuff.

You gotta love the marketing strategy involved in making this product kosher. Here they are at the Bacon Salt think tank...

Executive #1- "We need a new product to capitalize on the bacon craze."
Executive #2- "We could try Bacon Pepper since the bacon salt worked so well."
Executive #1- "Not a bad idea, but I was thinking about getting away from the spice and more in the condiment making."
Executive #2- "How about Bacon Catsup?"
Executive #1- "Now you are hitting on something!"
Executive #2- "Wait. How about Bacon Mayonnaise?"
Executive #1- "Ingenious, I love it!"
Executive #2- "We can call it Maycon"
Executive #1- "That won't work, that sounds like a car repair shop."
Executive #2- "Bayco?"
Executive #1- "Closer, but now it sounds like an insurance dealer."
Executive #2- "How about Baconnaise?"
Executive #1- "You are hitting homeruns today Jasper!"
Executive #2- "Thank you Barnaby. Now if we can just make it so everyone will buy it."
Executive #1- "We haven't tapped into the Jewish market yet. I think that is a priority here."
Executive #2- "It is hard to create a bacon product that is Kosher because Jews do not eat pork products."
Executive #1- "Can't we just make it without pork?"
Executive #2- "I suppose we can."
Executive #1- "They do make turkey bacon, and as far as I know, turkey is made without pork."
Executive #2- "Turkey isn't pork? I will have to look into that."
Executive #1- "You do that. We can just smoke the mayo, so it retains a bacon-like flavor."
Executive #2- "True. True. Bacon flavoring can be done. I think we can do that without using the actual bacon. I will contact the Febreeze people, since their chairman's Mother is good friends with my Mother. I think they are working on a bacon air spray. They might be able to help on this."
Executive #1- "Very good. I think we are looking at a product for the people, made by the people."
Executive #2- "And kosher too!"
Executive #1- Exactly. I am sure the Jews will be happier than in a pig in mud."
Executive #2- "At least a turkey pig in mud."
Executive #1- "Very funny Jasper! Now make it happen. I want to go into production before the summer is out."

Flash forward a few months...we see a rabbi walking around the market looking for some mayonnaise. He thinks to himself. "Boy I wish I could have some bacon on my burgers to go with some delicious mayo." :lol:

Back