• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Bare bones sauce recipie?

I'm looking to make a sauce in the future that keeps the flavor of the pepper but doesn't require a ton of salt or vinegar. What is the minimum amount of salt or vinegar you can get away with?

pH for shelf stability is generally below 4.15 (manufacturing legal limit high) - but most manufacturers won't touch a recipe unless it's below 3.6 pH

Get a pH meter - for home use a good submersible is around $50

All of your ingredients will have a pH raw.  When you pasteurize your sauce (or make a mash) the resulting product will have a pH. Provided it's below 3.xx it should be shelf stable (e.g. stuff won't grow in it). 

As THP said - ingredients are irrelevant. It's the resulting pH of the sauce that matters. 

Sm1nts2escape said:
I'm looking to make a sauce in the future that keeps the flavor of the pepper but doesn't require a ton of salt or vinegar. What is the minimum amount of salt or vinegar you can get away with?

If you ferment your peppers first, you will have to add little to no vinegar.  The lactic acid of a successful ferment should lower the pH significantly enough to put it in the shelf stable range.  Lactic acid has a smaller pKa (dissociation constant) than acetic acid, so its actually the stronger of the 2 weak acids (more acidic, and therefore lowers the pH to a greater extent).

Sm1nts2escape said:

Also worth mentioning is AJ's puree recipe. It tastes the most like fresh peppers vs. any sauce or ferment I have had.

Back