• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Basement "Grow Room" Planning

Jeff is correct, there are packages offered everywhere ( e-bay, kijiji..etc) at a price point that could be more affordable. Did you see these on that site
http://www.hydroshop.ca/en/complete-grow-package/lighting-kits/1000w-grow-light-kits.html

Here's another style, most will say not as effective but to get you started you can always look into these (they sell used equipment as well)
http://www.hollandindustry.com/complete-package-1000w-magnetic-round-parabolic-premium-package-p-292.html

E-Bay is not a bad place at all if you go with a reputable store( try Gotham City Hydroponics, great guy's)

As for the Mylar sheet, I'd save my money & go with panda plastic or just plain flat white paint. For construction materials there are places here in Toronto called the Re-use it stores from Habitat For Humanity you might have something similar out East, save you $$$. You could also try the web-site Freecycle & see what's out there for free in your neck of the woods.

Chris Kewley said:
Jeff is correct, there are packages offered everywhere ( e-bay, kijiji..etc) at a price point that could be more affordable. Did you see these on that site
http://www.hydroshop.ca/en/complete-grow-package/lighting-kits/1000w-grow-light-kits.html

Here's another style, most will say not as effective but to get you started you can always look into these (they sell used equipment as well)
http://www.hollandindustry.com/complete-package-1000w-magnetic-round-parabolic-premium-package-p-292.html

E-Bay is not a bad place at all if you go with a reputable store( try Gotham City Hydroponics, great guy's)

Yup.. Once Jeff mentioned that I started looking a bit closer at that website and saw those. For some reason I like the most expensive one the most. lol .. And I just looked up that Gotham Hydroponics - they have quite the selection, of what I'm seeing at a quick glance. :)

The kits at Gotham look pretty damn nice, but the $80+ for shipping turns me off. I think I'm leaning towards the "Hydroshop" since it has that flat-rate shipping charge in Canada.. Much more affordable for me at this point in time. :)

Go to your chemist and buy the emergency heat wraps. They are made of mylar and cost about a dollar each. Awesome reflectivity nice and big amd easy to work with and and cheap as chips!

Sarge said:
Go to your chemist and buy the emergency heat wraps. They are made of mylar and cost about a dollar each. Awesome reflectivity nice and big amd easy to work with and and cheap as chips!

I don't know of any chemists in my area.. But I have been using reflective emergency blankets that I found for around $3-4 each at our local Canadian Tire. I bought only one at first, when I saw them by the checkout counter, just to give it a shot. When I saw it would work great I went and cleaned them out of the ones I saw (about 3-4 more at the time). lol

Sucks for the people out there looking forward to camping, I suppose, but dammit - my babies need their light!  :fireball:

Haha thats the way lol. Foil worked well for me but was very easily damaged and tore too easy. My next setup will be lined with the sheets Ive got.

Sarge said:
Haha thats the way lol. Foil worked well for me but was very easily damaged and tore too easy. My next setup will be lined with the sheets Ive got.

I think if I put in some real effort to tighten the material that it'd likely stay pretty free of wrinkles. It definitely makes a difference in the lighting, as it is (loosely taped onto the walls).

Do it the cheap way, get the glue stick stuff kids use at school, cover the back and the line it to cut out cardboard. I used the inside of cereal boxes and lined it with foil. Came out crinkly because foil is crinkly but it would be much better than taping to the walls. Plus you can move it around!

Sarge said:
Do it the cheap way, get the glue stick stuff kids use at school, cover the back and the line it to cut out cardboard. I used the inside of cereal boxes and lined it with foil. Came out crinkly because foil is crinkly but it would be much better than taping to the walls. Plus you can move it around!

Neat idea.. hadn't considered that :)

Hey Super,

I dont know if you have already set up your shopping cart or decided on what exactly you need, but I am opening up a hydroponic store and will have the online store up and running in a few days. We would love to help you out with your setup. 

Check out our store. I think you'll find our prices very easy on the wallet :)

Also we can help you out with any aspect of indoor gardening. Also remember that the website is still in infancy stages

HydroLyfe.com

HydroFyre said:
Hey Super,

I dont know if you have already set up your shopping cart or decided on what exactly you need, but I am opening up a hydroponic store and will have the online store up and running in a few days. We would love to help you out with your setup. 

Check out our store. I think you'll find our prices very easy on the wallet :)

Also we can help you out with any aspect of indoor gardening. Also remember that the website is still in infancy stages

HydroLyfe.com

I haven't yet.. It may be a while before I get money in, so I still have time to research and make a decision.

As others mentioned, a lighting kit would be my best bet starting out in terms of savings. I will admit, I am (so far) leaning towards Hydroshop.ca - simply because it's in Canada (much less chance of customs' issues since it doesn't have to cross over from the U.S.) and because of their low shipping cost in Canada.

Your website looks to be off to a good start. :)

On November 4th I finally placed the order for my very 1st HPS lighting kit, along with an additional bulb (Lightspeed 1000w grow light):

cool-1000-kit.png
lightspeed_digital_hps_bulbs_1.jpg

.. I was getting a bit concerned that I did not receive a confirmation email saying when it would be sent out (especially after seeing a couple reviews online), so I sent them a message last night and they provided a response this afternoon:

"Hi Mark,
Thanks for contacting us, I will do my best to help you out and make sure your business startup goes smooth. Typical processing time for orders is 2-3 business days, new clients accounts are verified by PayPal and typically ship in 5-7 business days. This time there is also the long week-end which adds to the processing time. I've checked with the warehouse manager and your order is expected to be on transit on or before Thursday of this week. As soon the shipment label is issued you will receive a tracking confirmation by email with all the delivery details.
Hope this helps! Please feel free to reach us for any future assistance.
Cheers,
Chester
The Hydroshop Team"

*crosses fingers*

Chris Kewley said:
Great stuff man, your crop will love it

Thanks.. Sure hope so. So long as I can figure out how to set it up. :)

UPDATE: Looks like I may be getting my HPS kit today! According to Canada Post it reached my town at 9:52am. *grooves*  :woohoo:

Aaaaaaand here it is:

20131119_134202-600x450.jpg

:dance:

.. Not all the parts are shown in the photo..

Now, once I get my area built in the basement I'll just need to figure out how to set this up. *grooves*  :P

Small bit of an update:

Alas, I haven't the money just yet to get the supplies I need to build the basement space I have planned and my plants are getting too tall/big for the small spaces I currently have them filling under my four T8 fixtures, so I've gone ahead with a short-term solution - I've converted around 1/3 of my own bedroom into a grow space.

My room is, at best, around 6' high. In the area I've allotted to the new grow space the majority of the ceiling angles downward till it hits the wall at about 3-3 1/2 feet above the floor. It's probably around 8-9' in length and maybe around 6-7 in width. So the space isn't much to work with, but it'll have to do for now.

The reflector came with a built-in light fixture of it's own, but had loose wires. The kit I got from HS came with an additional light fixture that was wired up with the plug for the ballast, but with a metal casing that wouldn't fit in the reflector. So after some careful examination and a lot of thought, I concluded the only solution was to take apart both fixtures and re-wire the additional fixture to the reflector... Well, it's all put together now, stable and sturdy - though, I ended up leaving out quite a few screws, bolts and other tidbits along the way.

I tested the setup with the generic 1000w bulb that came with the kit I ordered, just in case I screwed up the wiring somehow. Worked perfect. So now my "Lightspeed" 1000w bulb is in place.

All I have left to do is finish up the "door" to the space (to be sure the cats are kept out), move in a fan, the plants, and finish up putting up the reflective material on the walls of the space.

.. I plant to post pictures in my "Grow Log" once I make some more progress :)

Back