• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music bass guitars?

anyone got a suggestion on a bass guitar?

i want a 5 string so that i can play bass lines with my 7 string if i need to. im not wanting to get a bass amp too, i just want a bass to direct record with. would prefer to spend less than 300. i was thinking of an ibanez of some description, and i hear yamaha basses are good too. any ideas? i know some of you play bass too!

I think the Fender "P" bass is the industry standard. I also enjoy playing Rickenbackers but they're not for everyone.

That 5 and 7 string stuff ain't my bag so I'm no help there...

i don't know much about bass guitars..hell i don't even know a whole lot about guitars (and i've been playing them for a decent amount of time), but i agree with the first part of guitargods idea. go to the store and sit down with the ones you have your eye on. even plug in and play it.

at the beginning of the year i was looking for a new guitar...was reading about the jackson randy rhoads model. i'm extremely glad i played it before deciding to buy it. i sit most of the time when i play and that guitar is terrible for sitting with. not the case with most other bodies..but you never know what little thing about a guitar or bass you will despise.

yeah im just really lazy. i guess i should go out to GC and look.

i would never get a flying V guitar. haha i think they look like shit but besides that, yeah its pretty hard to play while sitting. unless you hold it in the classical guitar position, then its ok..

just get an ernie ball if you want a good guitar. :P sadly, i dont want to spend 1000+ for a bass, so they arent an option for me. haha

5 string is a definate must have. ill check into carvins. i kinda want a carvin guitar, they make some pretty good looking stuff

The Ibanez Roadstar is a solid bass and you should be able to pick a used one for 200 skins or less. Though only 4 strings just like a P-bass, I am not one to recommend 5, 6, or 7 string basses as I have no experience with them. Keep in mind that Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius et.al. know what to do with 4 strings.
Good on ya' for whatever you find bro.

texas blues said:
The Ibanez Roadstar is a solid bass and you should be able to pick a used one for 200 skins or less. Though only 4 strings just like a P-bass, I am not one to recommend 5, 6, or 7 string basses as I have no experience with them. Keep in mind that Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius et.al. know what to do with 4 strings.
Good on ya' for whatever you find bro.

the only reason i want a 5 string is because i have a 7 string guitar. so i need a low b note.

while yeah, the 4 string is the way to go - it limits my 7 string playability (is this a word?) because i cant match the bass notes unless doing it in higher octaves.

thanks for the suggestion tho!!! i am going to look into an ibanez i think it will be the cheapest option

ross said:
5 string is a definate must have. ill check into carvins. i kinda want a carvin guitar, they make some pretty good looking stuff

Yeah, thats what i meant. CARVIN. Note to self: no more than one shot at lunchtime.

Ross. if your still here, This threads 2 years old!!! but I just saw it tonight and need to sell my bass!!!!!!! or anybody else that needs the ultimate rock bass of all time.
IMG_9686.jpg

Ross, by the the way, it only has 4 strings.....

Back