• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beehives

I am interested in the little stingless bees also, but the cost of the setup is putting me off getting one. When I actually started looking at the insects on the plants, I found that I was already getting plenty of visits from the stingless bees, getting onto the coffee, macadamia, mango, paw paw and the palm trees. I have also spotted some blue banded bees around.
I have not yet seen the stingless bees on my chillis, but I am sure that they get a visit also.

dreamboat

Anyone in the greater Brisbane area who wants a native bee hive email me, if we can get enough interest I get can get them for $280 dollars a hive, just email me if your interested.

Entomologists are studying the reasons behind an enormous bee die off happening across the country. They call it Colony Collapse Disorder, and if they cannot find a solution the 80% of fruits and vegetables that require pollination may not make it to market. The cause appears to be related to diseases from pesticides, but no one is certain.

Here is an intersting article on declining bee populations

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/0703-honeybee_decline.htm

yep thats right JR
plus there is varoa parisite , african beetle etc that's why I'm so interested in native bees. I have 4 hives now which I should be able to split and have 8 by next year.
My area is just pumping with native flowers at preseent and the little guys are working hard. the whole place is starting to smell like there sweet resiny honey I'm lovin it. Actually the funny thing about there hives is it smells alot like Novas favourite flower (bud) must have something to do with lots of resins collected.
If your on face book check out Australian stingless bees I have put some good links up there too.

Stingless bees? What's that analogy of alcohol free beer I van often read here.

Bees won't readily attack animals/people (as opposed to wasps), because they will die as a result of it. They will only do it to protect the hive or as a last resort of self defence. Most beekeepers will supply you with quite calm bee swarms anyway (Here in Europe you can usually get one for free (excluding gear) if it starts swarming, because once it does, they're considered wild bees. If you know a friendly beekeeper just ask him to call you once a part of his hive starts swarming).

So most domesticated bees are selected to be quite calm. But the question is: do you really want defenceless bees? If some predator attacks the hive your bee's days will be numbered...

I think your missing the point.
native stingless bees don't swarm so therefore are easy to keep on standard house blocks in suburbia plus they are becoming endangered species in Aus wild through land clearing, plus they are not susceptable to colony collapse or vero parisite or african hive beetle plus they are natives to OZ. etc

I'm picking up a Trigona carbonaria hive on Saturday morning, I've ordered a hive with a 'super' to allow for honey extraction when full.

Really looking forward to learning more about bees, think I'll get some good flowering native plants as well. I want to keep them happy with plenty of flowers close by.

I've picked up my hive and set it up, went to take a few happy snaps and wouldn't you know it the camera batteries need to be recharged. Photos will be coming soon.

Some photos of my set-up

bees01.jpg

bees02.jpg

bees03.jpg

bees04.jpg

I built this Kenyan Top Bar Hive. I will take delivery of my first colony of this April. I am thinking of doing two actually. The bees are coming from a couple of towns over (Cleveland, Texas). I should have no issues with pollination.

6073_kenyan_hive_double_feeder_box_004.jpg

6073_kenyan_hive_double_feeder_box_003.jpg

6073_kenyan_hive_double_feeder_box_001.jpg

I built the feeders (in case I need to feed during winter) inside the hive.
6073_kenyan_hive_double_feeder_box_002.jpg

This hive is currently having bees and things painted on it and then I am going to build the lid. Maybe this fall I will be trading honey for hot sauce?

Back