• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Been looking at full-sized, green pods for a month now...

They're on chocolate bhuts (from Matt), yellow scorpionXyellow 7pots (from Joe), and Naga Morichs (from a supermarket). I've got other plants that are also podding up, but these three set pods much earlier and seem to be overdue to ripen. Haven't harvested a single seed-grown C. chinense pod yet.

I'm guessing it's the climate here--it's been highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s for practically the whole month of July. Not complaining about that, but it looks like the other southern Cal people are getting ripe pods, and I'm a bit jealous, that's all. Not ready to gas the garden with ethylene yet.

It's just patience now, right?

I've had a chili red pod'd up for over a month. It just start changing colors a day ago.

I thought it may be,because of how big it is(about a foot long),that it took so long.

They're on chocolate bhuts (from Matt), yellow scorpionXyellow 7pots (from Joe), and Naga Morichs (from a supermarket). I've got other plants that are also podding up, but these three set pods much earlier and seem to be overdue to ripen. Haven't harvested a single seed-grown C. chinense pod yet.

I'm guessing it's the climate here--it's been highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s for practically the whole month of July. Not complaining about that, but it looks like the other southern Cal people are getting ripe pods, and I'm a bit jealous, that's all. Not ready to gas the garden with ethylene yet.

It's just patience now, right?

yup pretty much

i only am getting a few ripe pods here and there right now sit tight it will happen!! ;)

let me know what my cross looks like

the pods favored the scorpion

thanks your friend Joe

My pods have been full size and just sitting for over a month now. some of them are starting to ripen. I had other plants podding up and ripening in this time frame as well. It's just a waiting game. Only thing I can think of on my end, I don't know if you have the same conditions but I have two issues. The plants are so close together that they shad a lot of the pods. Second, they don't get as much full sun as I would like. I think the amount of full sun the plants get has a lot to do with it.

I was just musing upon that to my wife. I've had Yellow Bullet Habs by the dozen on my plant for over a month now, and I said "Finally I have pods ripening!" and she said "FINALLY!? It's still JULY!"

So, yeah, it takes awhile, especially Chinense and Baccatum. My Lemon Drops are also taking their time ripening!

I too have had plenty of green chillis for a month or so. My Lemon Drops are also taking some time - out of over 100 pods, I'v only had one ripen so far.

Thanks.
Let me know what my cross looks like

the pods favored the scorpion

I've got two of the crosses going in my yard, and a third is at my sister's house. One of mine is in a pot, and it got a faster start than the other one--that's the one that's podded up pretty good--and it looks more 7-potty. The one in the ground looks more like a scorp, based on the little green pods. For some reason, I'm not seeing the options of including a pic. I'll try to add it with an edit.Here is the one in the pot
YTSxY7P1.jpg

And here is the one in the ground.
YTSxY7P2.jpg

OK ???????

that's totally different than the parent pods?

i was told and am beginning to think, that scorpion type do this in the beginning but improve closer to the end, this is due ti the fact that there Caribbean and the seasons are so much longer

hang in there im actually in the same boat as you lets see what happens near the

end im waiting on a few myself

thanks your friend Joe

Joe, are these F2 or later? Let me know if you want some seed back from any of these guys.

not sure i just harvested them in 2011 from some really cool looking pods, no deed to save seed for unless you get a pod or two that looks like the ones in meatfreaks growlong
im working on a #1 and a #2

the #1 is the one im shooting for the most (the one in meatfreaks growlog)

the #2 is long and looks like a huge fat choco bhut (picture in ajijoes oddities)
thanks your friend Joe

i've been watching my aji crystal for like a month... pods are green and have red cracks all over them and supposed to riped red, they're delicious so i'm having a difficult time not picking them... i've had the same problem with cleo's dragons; they've been on there 2 months and take like a week to ripen and one at a time. it's frustrating!!!!

This is called "Occular Disassociation".

The more you watch them, waiting for them to turn...the longer they take. My garden suffered horribly... ;)

its kinda like the old Pa Dutch say "a watched pot takes longer to boil" and its so true!!

i have a little water damage on a few plant surprisingly enough, i have been getting alot of rain lately, in fact its looking like too much, so yeah my Garden is suffering somewhat to, but hey its not what i would like it to be but its not as bad as its has been or could have been

thanks your friend Joe

Same thing here. My serranos have been the same size, green, for about a month now. Must be a case of occular disassociation. :)

There are over 25 peppers on the plant so I decided to pick a few green ones and they were great, but I can't wait for them to ripen, and hopefully I won't have to much longer. My thai hot ornamental peppers are starting to ripen. They seem to be turning brownish red. They have a kick of heat that is nice... really clears my sinuses.

Back