• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath's Glog 2014---There are many like it, but this one is mine

Lets start with a list heres mine....in no particular order 

Peppers---
Barrackpore
Yellow pointed pepper
Golden Habanero
Heart Throb Pepper
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper
Santa Fe
Inca Lost
Antillias Caribbean Habanero
Large Thick Cayenne
Cayenne Chili
Scotch Bonnet---Yellow & Red
Caribbean Red Habanero
Goldfinger
Fatalli---Yellow & Red
Datil
Manzano--Red
Aji Limo
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Red
Peter Pepper--Red
Aji Lemon Drop
Rooster Spur
Scorpion Tounge
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Devils Tounge--Yellow
White Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion---Yellow
Bhut Jolokia--Red/Yellow/Peach
Carolina Reaper
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo Pepper
Barker Numex
Brain Strain---yellow
Hot Cherry Pepper
Black Pearl
Planted/Added 1/11
Yellow Bullet Habanero
Aji Amarillo
Hot Banana-----was really hoping for this one
Birgits Locoto
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Chile Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion---Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia--Chocolate
Aribibi Gusano/Red Bhut Cross (F2)
Giant White Habanero
Giant Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Yellow

Tomatoes---
Health Kick Tomato
San Marzano Tomato
Goliath Tomato
Juliet Tomato
Believe it or not Tomato
Red Pear Tomato
Planted/Added 1/11
Brandywine Tomato
Marianna's Peace Tomato
MoneyMaker Tomato
Sweet Million Tomato
Zinfandel Tomato
Yellow Plum Tomato
Black Krim

Berries---started on 12/29
Loganberry
Black Rasberry

Thanks to the great people here on THP for your donations to a noob----

Sicman---
Barrackpore
(and Okra Later)

BSPH---
Red Fatalli
Yellow Devil
White Hab
Yellow Scorpion
red/peach/yellow Bhut
Carolina Reaper

Neoguy---
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo

Flchilehead---
Barker Numex
Yellow Brain Strain

Djinn---
Mystery seeds

MS1476---
Jalapeno
Hot Cherry
Yellow 7 Pot
While Bullet Hab
Black Pearl

Hendrix1326---
Yellow Bullet Hab
Aji Amarillo
Banana Hot
Cherry Hot
Bhut Jolokia---Red, Peach
Birgits Locoto
Brazilian Starfish
Hot Lemon Drop
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Pequin

All other seeds came from Tradewinds seeds. Kinda stingey with their seeds but I did have close to 100% germ rate last year from them. I will be saving alot of seeds this year and plan to pay it forward in a big way. One more BIG thanks for the help on the seeds. I will edit this list as time progresses to add veggies and more berries.

Got all except those on waiting list above, planted last night, used three 50 cell trays, 3 seeds per cell. For the soil, I used three 12 QT Organic Jiffy potting mix, one 8 QT vermiculite,one 8 QT bag of Perlite and a handful of Mycos mycorrhizal inocculant. I have noticed alot on here have used coffee grounds for nitrogen and egg shells for calcuim, I may do that when i transplant. To be honest this is the first year i havent just gone and picked up some potting soil and planted my seeds.  Always have come up just fine. Curse this forum for teaching me stuff. Heat mats are another thing, I know alot of people on here use them, and i was going back and forth on whether to buy. In the end i went of past experiances, never used them in the past so this year i will not use them either.  Here is a couple facinating pics

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

A Short Back Story---
Been growing gardens for as long as I can remember. Usually always start my own from seeds. Until last year the peppers that took up space in my garden were the oh so common Jalapeno, Serrano, bell, banana and Santa fe. We have always been big on tomatoes and cucumbers taking up the majority of our limited grow space. Usually only have enough space for about 10-15 plants. I can alot of pickles and peppers every year.  Last year I thought I would try my hand at growing a few superhots and exotics. I found tradewinds seeds and bought some

Red Habaneros
Red Bhut Jolokias
Scotch Bonnets
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Scorpion Tounge

My season last year was probably the worst and shortest I have had in a very long time.  I generally always start my seeds in Feb and plant outside May 1. Last year we were working on moving and I didnt get them in the ground until June 1 when we found a place to rent temporarily. The plants did okay but it was new a new place, new ground, and area was more shaded than I had hoped.  All plants produced great pods but getting them to ripen was a different story, I was afraid it was not going to happen. Then the floods came, rain, rain, rain.  There were people that were way worse off than myself during last years flooding, we did ok and were not asked to evacuate or nothin. The plants were not so happy, they started to fall over from so much ground saturation and i think started getting the root rot?. The tomatoes began bursting. All in all I only ended up with a handful of actual ripe pods. I have never tried fresh superhots before. I have always been a chilihead just not a chiligrower per se.  I can say from first bite i was hooked, the smell was something else too. I could smell that all day. My wife or kids did not agree. As you can see I have not tried ALOT of the peppers that I have planted. I have read alot of info on here and built my list accordingly. I have since moved again, I now have more than enough grow room to grow as many peppers as I want, and I plan to do just that.

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned...and feel free to comment

Edit: Updated to delete varieties that didnt germinate

Man, sorry to hear about that wind beating up on your OWs. I guess you know that when I say "I feel your pain", you know I'm speaking from experience this year. ;) Your red bhut looks like it's set to explode, though. With a nice, thick root system, it's gonna have all kinds of energy to push out a big flush of leaves! Hope your weather levels out and starts to cooperate with your grow.

How are things coming along for you? Hope to see some updates on that aquaponics all fired up soon.  Wish I had the time to get one going or at least have kept my hydro grow up.

Seacowboy said:
How are things coming along for you? Hope to see some updates on that aquaponics all fired up soon.  Wish I had the time to get one going or at least have kept my hydro grow up.
thanks for checking in...

I have been thinking that the larger aquaponics maybe taking a back seat untill next year, as the season progresses I find myself having less and less time to finish it up. Well see what happens though. On the other side of things, I did get all peppers and part of tomatoes, cabbage, califlower, and broccli in the garden this past weekend.  It was really hot when I went to transplanting so a few of them are not very happy but they all got a heavy watering and then were really beat up by the wind later in the evening, so they are being tested right out of the gate.
20140526_164647.jpg

Aquaonics is done cycling so ill get some cheapy goldfish in there this week. Went ahead and put a loney pepper in there and it is doing really well, the pics below is the third day after adding to system.
20140526_165145.jpg

OW is really coming back!!
20140524_113002.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Between work, home, and garden you've got to be exhausted. No wonder you haven't been around. Glad to hear the OW is recovering. That garden plot looks fantastic. I can picture a Devv's set up shade cloth, wind break and the whole shebang. Much envy here. Thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date. Hope you find time to relax.

OCD Chilehead said:
Between work, home, and garden you've got to be exhausted. No wonder you haven't been around. Glad to hear the OW is recovering. That garden plot looks fantastic. I can picture a Devv's set up shade cloth, wind break and the whole shebang. Much envy here. Thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date. Hope you find time to relax.
Hey Chuck
yes, but starting to slow down a bit. These past few weekends have been really busy, or there is tornado warnings high winds etc. As this is my first year growing out on the open plains this year is kind of a trial run to see how things go, my hopes arent that high, and in hindsight i probably should have went a little smaller this first year, but oh well. Next year will be adapt/modify is my thinking and yes, devv's setup has my attention too, I hope to one day have a garden set-up that pumps out production like his does. Besides the wind being a real concern, the dirt out here is horrible too, it has sooo much clay, when wet its very slick and very spongy you literally sink. Then when it hardens its as hard as concrete. With over 100 pepper plants I ought to get something this year tho ;)

beerbreath81 said:
Hey Chuck
yes, but starting to slow down a bit. These past few weekends have been really busy, or there is tornado warnings high winds etc. As this is my first year growing out on the open plains this year is kind of a trial run to see how things go, my hopes arent that high, and in hindsight i probably should have went a little smaller this first year, but oh well. Next year will be adapt/modify is my thinking and yes, devv's setup has my attention too, I hope to one day have a garden set-up that pumps out production like his does. Besides the wind being a real concern, the dirt out here is horrible too, it has sooo much clay, when wet its very slick and very spongy you literally sink. Then when it hardens its as hard as concrete. With over 100 pepper plants I ought to get something this year tho ;)
I heard about the tornado warnings. No Good. I always have low expectations. That way I'm surprised when the outcome is different. I'm dealing with the clay issue as well. I need to get planting. Still working on soil mix. I think your plant count is good. Sometimes we lose a few plants along the way. You have good odds with 100 plants. The worst thing that can happen is you have a huge seed stock. That's what I'm hoping for. Hang in there. Keeping my fingers crossed you get some favorable weather.

well, it's been a week since i put these in the ground and it has been another week of rain and less than favorable winds. All the tomatoes have been destroyed by the wind, I have some reserves in the garage that I may replace with but I think my tomatoes ane just too weak and leggy for the winds may have to get a few small ones from home depot.

Here is a shot of the garden on 5/30
rain.jpg

I have left the garen completly alone through the week, just watering as needed and this weekend decided to do a walkthrough and access the damage. We have

The good:
good.jpg

The bad:
bad.jpg

and the UGLY
ugly.jpg

Its interesting to me that all the plants have been exposed to the exact same conditions, and yet each pepper plant handles the conditions differently.  I think all in all i have lost a little over a dozen plants, mostly young ones. The only one that really hurt was the Carolina Reaper, I gave a few away and only had one left and its not looking very happy, dont think it will make it through. So I guess Ill be looking on here a little later in season for a few pods :D .  
Irrigation System arrived last week, I have decided to hold off this year on the irrigation. We have soo much going on right now and I dont want to set up until I have a final layout of the garden established. So I will pack it away until next year. I then decided to play in the dirt a little while last night and build up some berms around the peppers, this will really help watering and keep the walkways dry. Got a good start last night but will take a few days to complete.

update garden.jpg

update garden 2.jpg

Here is one that I really hope does good this year its looking really good
Black Pearl:
pearl.jpg

Cabbage aint doin to bad either
cabbage.jpg

Got some pumpkins and watermelons in the ground last night and hope to plant the okra, cucumbers, carrots within the next few days

Also put fish in aquaponics and a strawberry plant, you can see the wind has taken its toll on the pepper plant.
aqua.jpg

Finished off the weekend with some burgers and taters..mmmmmm
meat and taters.jpg

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Quick update, got some time in the garden monday and tuesday...got some rows of bush beans going, and potaotes, beets, and carrots in the back rows

1.jpg

Corn is sprouting
2.jpg

no work for wednesday and thursday, we got rain..alot of rain
4.jpg

more rain on the way, yay
5.png

Shotgun says HI
3.jpg

Have good weekend everyone!

Seacowboy said:
You do any bird hunting out there with Shotgun?
hadnt had much time to work with her, I took her out couple phesant seasons ago to my brothers place just to see what she'd do, she does ok with the sound of the shotgun but runs away from the dead bird.... :crazy:. We also tried to get her in the water....she either cant swim, or is too afraid of the water it didnt go good. I think I got a broken one :D  

I'll have to get a picture of her sometime in the backyard, it's fun to see her stalk and try and get the sparrows around the house, she can do this all day long...its definatly in her blood. 

Wow!

I really like what I see!

Where is all that rain coming from? I thought Colorado was in a drought? Can I have some?

Anthony, impressive garden and work going on there!

The soil being clay: my first place in Tejas in the early 80's was iron ore|clay, like zero drainage. I was the guy scarfing leaves every evening on the way home from work during the raking season. I'm sure many a homeowner was thinking "what the heck is he doing?" as I filled the bed of my truck, but I didn't care ;)  After 2 years the clay was now soil. I can't remember EVER watering the garden back then as it rained in those days. After I sold the place it got back to me from a friend from the new owner" damn that garden soil is saaweet!" Made my day ;)

Here, in Devine I'm on the other side of the spectrum. Adding heavy soil to the sand, and I continue to add the composted leaves, and anything that can build the soil. So, I say find a source, a free one is best ;)  Might be more labor, but you have to weigh the time versus $$$ factor.

IMHO I would work the soil before the investment in wind protection. I've only just started in trying to do that. Sure it helps, but having a fantastic growing medium is a priority in my book ;)

Sure the wind tears up the plants some, but if they're in a super healthy environment, they will persevere!

Good luck this season, you're off to a great start!

Devv said:
Wow!

I really like what I see!

Where is all that rain coming from? I thought Colorado was in a drought? Can I have some?

Anthony, impressive garden and work going on there!

The soil being clay: my first place in Tejas in the early 80's was iron ore|clay, like zero drainage. I was the guy scarfing leaves every evening on the way home from work during the raking season. I'm sure many a homeowner was thinking "what the heck is he doing?" as I filled the bed of my truck, but I didn't care ;)  After 2 years the clay was now soil. I can't remember EVER watering the garden back then as it rained in those days. After I sold the place it got back to me from a friend from the new owner" damn that garden soil is saaweet!" Made my day ;)

Here, in Devine I'm on the other side of the spectrum. Adding heavy soil to the sand, and I continue to add the composted leaves, and anything that can build the soil. So, I say find a source, a free one is best ;)  Might be more labor, but you have to weigh the time versus $$$ factor.

IMHO I would work the soil before the investment in wind protection. I've only just started in trying to do that. Sure it helps, but having a fantastic growing medium is a priority in my book ;)

Sure the wind tears up the plants some, but if they're in a super healthy environment, they will persevere!

Good luck this season, you're off to a great start!
Thanks for the kind words and advice. Earlier in season I met up with THP member "catherinew" and she hooked me up with a truckload of bagged leaves. She has hundreds of bags that people dropped of during the fall.  If i had a place to store them she would be getting many more visits from me :D and definatly plan to visit her again early next season.

The rain, (and wind) has been relentless this year. Just when the garden starts to dry out we get another rain storm. Last night it dumped on us for about 4 hrs, many tornados touched down in the area too but it all passed and all is well.

I do have two "backup" plants that are up near the house that we can babysit/cover when we get word that wind/hail is on its way. I'm thinking I may pull three more of my favorites from the garden and move them up front too. The tomatoes that I planted have had all thier folage stripped from them but I noticed the other day that they are tring to come back. I am constantly surprized by the resiliance of plants. I have some reserves still in my garage that I have been to afraid to put out, but i bought some cages this past weekend and my plan is to wrap the cages in painters plastic to protect them from the wind, create a greenhouse effect. We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks for stopping by!!

Sorry to hear about all the bad weather. The painters plastic might work. Be careful not to cook them. Temps will get pretty hot. Maybe small sections so they still have airflow. I hope your luck changes with the weather. Good luck

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry to hear about all the bad weather. The painters plastic might work. Be careful not to cook them. Temps will get pretty hot. Maybe small sections so they still have airflow. I hope your luck changes with the weather. Good luck
Good thinking, I never tried this before....my plan was to leave the top open, not fully enclosed. Do you think they will get to hot?. The cages I got are like these

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15474-16418-697800_4294612578__?productId=3653750&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

so I guess I could cut out a couple squares to let some airflow. Thanks for the tip!

beerbreath81 said:
Good thinking, I never tried this before....my plan was to leave the top open, not fully enclosed. Do you think they will get to hot?. The cages I got are like these

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15474-16418-697800_4294612578__?productId=3653750&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

so I guess I could cut out a couple squares to let some airflow. Thanks for the tip!
Those cages are awesome. I still think in direct sun it will heat up. With the temps in the 80s in the shade in the sun would be a lot warmer with plastic might be 20 degrees warmer or more. Just guessing here. Maybe set a cage up and cover with plastic and record temp somehow to get a idea. It's kind of like leaving your truck windows up in the sun. Interested in seeing what the temp may be. Might have to try this experiment my self.

OCD Chilehead said:
You know me. Just checking in. Hope all is well on your side of the mountain.
Update 6/17---

Thanks for checking in Chuck. Another week of high winds and and an unwelcomed hail storm made a visit this past weekend with "marble" sized hail. Was able to cover the plants up near the house but the garden took another beating. Between that and the wind if they were ever given the chance to take off they would be some Monsters! I'm thinking this weekend I might pull a couple favorite peppers from the garden and put them in containers up near the house.

We took a trip over to a tree farm this past weekend and picked up a few trees that I'm pretty excited about. 2 semi dwarf peach trees, an apple tree and a cherry tree. Little by little I'm getting this spot into what I'm wanting. Just sucks starting over from scratch, but we'll get there. Its all for the love of the game, haha. Also have a few grapes I need to get into the ground. Just so skiddish planting anything because it only takes a few days for the wind to rip it to pieces.

The garden is really starting to get discouraging, rain, wind are really trying my patience. On the flip side though most of the plants look hidious, have had all foliage stripped by wind and hail. They are showing signs of a rebound I just hope they can kick it into over drive.

As for the plastic wrapped tomatoes, its a little early to see how they will do. Not seeing much growth out of them, and the holes allowed too much wind in and whiped up the leaves pretty good.

Tomatoes before
tom 1.jpg

tom 2.jpg

Tomatoes after
tom 3.jpg

OW
ow.jpg

Z. Bird
zb.jpg

Taters up in garden
taters.jpg

Green Bean broke soil