• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath's Glog 2014---There are many like it, but this one is mine

Lets start with a list heres mine....in no particular order 

Peppers---
Barrackpore
Yellow pointed pepper
Golden Habanero
Heart Throb Pepper
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper
Santa Fe
Inca Lost
Antillias Caribbean Habanero
Large Thick Cayenne
Cayenne Chili
Scotch Bonnet---Yellow & Red
Caribbean Red Habanero
Goldfinger
Fatalli---Yellow & Red
Datil
Manzano--Red
Aji Limo
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Red
Peter Pepper--Red
Aji Lemon Drop
Rooster Spur
Scorpion Tounge
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Devils Tounge--Yellow
White Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion---Yellow
Bhut Jolokia--Red/Yellow/Peach
Carolina Reaper
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo Pepper
Barker Numex
Brain Strain---yellow
Hot Cherry Pepper
Black Pearl
Planted/Added 1/11
Yellow Bullet Habanero
Aji Amarillo
Hot Banana-----was really hoping for this one
Birgits Locoto
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Chile Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion---Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia--Chocolate
Aribibi Gusano/Red Bhut Cross (F2)
Giant White Habanero
Giant Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga--Yellow

Tomatoes---
Health Kick Tomato
San Marzano Tomato
Goliath Tomato
Juliet Tomato
Believe it or not Tomato
Red Pear Tomato
Planted/Added 1/11
Brandywine Tomato
Marianna's Peace Tomato
MoneyMaker Tomato
Sweet Million Tomato
Zinfandel Tomato
Yellow Plum Tomato
Black Krim

Berries---started on 12/29
Loganberry
Black Rasberry

Thanks to the great people here on THP for your donations to a noob----

Sicman---
Barrackpore
(and Okra Later)

BSPH---
Red Fatalli
Yellow Devil
White Hab
Yellow Scorpion
red/peach/yellow Bhut
Carolina Reaper

Neoguy---
Pimente d' Espelette
Chimayo

Flchilehead---
Barker Numex
Yellow Brain Strain

Djinn---
Mystery seeds

MS1476---
Jalapeno
Hot Cherry
Yellow 7 Pot
While Bullet Hab
Black Pearl

Hendrix1326---
Yellow Bullet Hab
Aji Amarillo
Banana Hot
Cherry Hot
Bhut Jolokia---Red, Peach
Birgits Locoto
Brazilian Starfish
Hot Lemon Drop
Monkey Face
Aji Cito
Aji Crystal
Pequin

All other seeds came from Tradewinds seeds. Kinda stingey with their seeds but I did have close to 100% germ rate last year from them. I will be saving alot of seeds this year and plan to pay it forward in a big way. One more BIG thanks for the help on the seeds. I will edit this list as time progresses to add veggies and more berries.

Got all except those on waiting list above, planted last night, used three 50 cell trays, 3 seeds per cell. For the soil, I used three 12 QT Organic Jiffy potting mix, one 8 QT vermiculite,one 8 QT bag of Perlite and a handful of Mycos mycorrhizal inocculant. I have noticed alot on here have used coffee grounds for nitrogen and egg shells for calcuim, I may do that when i transplant. To be honest this is the first year i havent just gone and picked up some potting soil and planted my seeds.  Always have come up just fine. Curse this forum for teaching me stuff. Heat mats are another thing, I know alot of people on here use them, and i was going back and forth on whether to buy. In the end i went of past experiances, never used them in the past so this year i will not use them either.  Here is a couple facinating pics

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

A Short Back Story---
Been growing gardens for as long as I can remember. Usually always start my own from seeds. Until last year the peppers that took up space in my garden were the oh so common Jalapeno, Serrano, bell, banana and Santa fe. We have always been big on tomatoes and cucumbers taking up the majority of our limited grow space. Usually only have enough space for about 10-15 plants. I can alot of pickles and peppers every year.  Last year I thought I would try my hand at growing a few superhots and exotics. I found tradewinds seeds and bought some

Red Habaneros
Red Bhut Jolokias
Scotch Bonnets
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin
Scorpion Tounge

My season last year was probably the worst and shortest I have had in a very long time.  I generally always start my seeds in Feb and plant outside May 1. Last year we were working on moving and I didnt get them in the ground until June 1 when we found a place to rent temporarily. The plants did okay but it was new a new place, new ground, and area was more shaded than I had hoped.  All plants produced great pods but getting them to ripen was a different story, I was afraid it was not going to happen. Then the floods came, rain, rain, rain.  There were people that were way worse off than myself during last years flooding, we did ok and were not asked to evacuate or nothin. The plants were not so happy, they started to fall over from so much ground saturation and i think started getting the root rot?. The tomatoes began bursting. All in all I only ended up with a handful of actual ripe pods. I have never tried fresh superhots before. I have always been a chilihead just not a chiligrower per se.  I can say from first bite i was hooked, the smell was something else too. I could smell that all day. My wife or kids did not agree. As you can see I have not tried ALOT of the peppers that I have planted. I have read alot of info on here and built my list accordingly. I have since moved again, I now have more than enough grow room to grow as many peppers as I want, and I plan to do just that.

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned...and feel free to comment

Edit: Updated to delete varieties that didnt germinate

OCD Chilehead said:
Sh*t. One of these days some good fortune will come your way. Sorry to here about all the frustration and mishaps. The OW and Zbird are looking good. Don't give up hope yet. Hang in there brother.
taking it all in strides, although it has not been a very successfull season so far, I have learned alot about this place on what works and doesnt work. Devv has also been a good resource too, I mentioned to him that NONE of my neighbors have a garden, not sure if they have tried, failed and gave up because of the wind or just not that into gardening?? Makes ya wonder though. Talking with the locals they said that this is the most rain they have seen in one season in over 20 years.  I will get it dialed in, just going to take some time. I noticed that the corn and so far the beans I planted in the ground from seed is doing pretty good so I also planted some more seeds in the ground, (pumpkins, cucumbers) as an expirement to see how they fair starting out in the elements as opposed to the protection of my basement. Just curious, not sure there is much I can do to adapt to that in the future...maybe an industrial sized fan that gives off hurricane winds in the basement. haha!

A wind tunnel in the basement would be classic. Over time we could genetically alter the chiles to grow in Colorado conditions. We're going to need a snow machine and may be a fire sprinkler system.LOL. I'm still thinking a DIY hoop houses. Build them sturdy and cover with shade cloth. With multiple ones you could use as wind breaks and grow between houses. I'm going to bite the bullet maybe this weekend and buy a bender. Will keep you up to date if that happens.

Hey Anthony - good to see your garden is starting to grow, despite our horrendous rains/hail.  We've had the hail 3x here and I've had to replant a bunch of crops.

"IMHO I would work the soil before the investment in wind protection. I've only just started in trying to do that. Sure it helps, but having a fantastic growing medium is a priority in my book." Devv.

Like Devv says, 'it' all starts with the soil - and you're welcome to drive on over for more leaves!  Any time.  I've spread at least 20 bags into the garden for mulch and will most likely add more as the summer progresses.

There's lots more leaves for the taking . . . .   ;)

I'm sorry to read about your continued issues. It has to be frustrating. However most everything can eventually be conquered. And it will take time, I've been here 25 years. I didn't work the garden every year, but since 1989, I have added 30 yards of composted horse manure. Lord knows how many truck loads of leaves, 32 yards of heavy soil, as I started with sand. 24 yards of wood chips this year alone. Cover crops every year I plant. The garden is 48'x67', most of the goodies went into a 50'x48' area. So soil building never ends.

So next year after adding all the amendments try planting in raised rows to aid in drying. Land you have, so for the wind a couple of options exist. A fence is an idea. But with the size of your garden you may have to section it off. I feel with the winds you have, strong enough to strip leaves? That a wind break would get torn up, you need something permanent. The other option is to plant a wind break of some sort of sturdy, preferably fast growing trees. I'm sure a lot of good info exists out there for your area.

In closing: I don't know how large area you planted, but all this work that needs to be done has to be in a manageable sized plot. So maybe scaling back some may help this from becoming a ominous and expensive task. My 2,500 square feet that I plant is more than enough for us here. We give away quite a bit of produce!

Keep your head up, this first year is the learning year!

Man, I hope you get things back on track.  What kind of pepper did you stick in the aquaponics?

How is that soil out there?  I'm a little confused by it because it looks clay-ish but it's not red like mine is here.

We just got through a week of serious thunderstorms and a ton of rain, I think maybe fabric pots have helped out a whole lot but most of my peppers were not liking it at all.

catherinew said:
Hey Anthony - good to see your garden is starting to grow, despite our horrendous rains/hail.  We've had the hail 3x here and I've had to replant a bunch of crops.

"IMHO I would work the soil before the investment in wind protection. I've only just started in trying to do that. Sure it helps, but having a fantastic growing medium is a priority in my book." Devv.

Like Devv says, 'it' all starts with the soil - and you're welcome to drive on over for more leaves!  Any time.  I've spread at least 20 bags into the garden for mulch and will most likely add more as the summer progresses.

There's lots more leaves for the taking . . . .   ;)
Thanks for the offer Jane, I will definatly be back to see you to get more leaves. Sorry to hear about re-planting hopefully we are done with the hail!

Devv said:
I'm sorry to read about your continued issues. It has to be frustrating. However most everything can eventually be conquered. And it will take time, I've been here 25 years. I didn't work the garden every year, but since 1989, I have added 30 yards of composted horse manure. Lord knows how many truck loads of leaves, 32 yards of heavy soil, as I started with sand. 24 yards of wood chips this year alone. Cover crops every year I plant. The garden is 48'x67', most of the goodies went into a 50'x48' area. So soil building never ends.

So next year after adding all the amendments try planting in raised rows to aid in drying. Land you have, so for the wind a couple of options exist. A fence is an idea. But with the size of your garden you may have to section it off. I feel with the winds you have, strong enough to strip leaves? That a wind break would get torn up, you need something permanent. The other option is to plant a wind break of some sort of sturdy, preferably fast growing trees. I'm sure a lot of good info exists out there for your area.

In closing: I don't know how large area you planted, but all this work that needs to be done has to be in a manageable sized plot. So maybe scaling back some may help this from becoming a ominous and expensive task. My 2,500 square feet that I plant is more than enough for us here. We give away quite a bit of produce!

Keep your head up, this first year is the learning year!
Scott, SeaCowboy and I were just talking about adding trees to protect from the wind and though its a great option I dont think it will work in my case. I have already planted 4 fruit trees on the north side and I plan to plant a grape row like we disscused on the south side. The east/west I dont want to plant anything that would shade the garden. My plan was to do a chain link fence then wrap the green wind screen around the perimeter. Hopefully that will work. Area is roughly 50x50

ikeepfish said:
Man, I hope you get things back on track.  What kind of pepper did you stick in the aquaponics?

How is that soil out there?  I'm a little confused by it because it looks clay-ish but it's not red like mine is here.

We just got through a week of serious thunderstorms and a ton of rain, I think maybe fabric pots have helped out a whole lot but most of my peppers were not liking it at all.
The aquaponics has not been fairing well either, I only planted one pepper plant in it so far (brazilian pumpkin) but its the same size as when i put it in no change at all due to winds. Fish seem happy though, only got about 4 in there right now. I have contiplated bring into my garage next to a west facing window, I've also thought about abandoning it. but have continued to let it go for now. Soil is VERY clay. Hard as concrete when dry, slick/spongy when wet. I've got my work cut out for me to get it amended!

Thanks for encouraging words all!

Hey Chuck, thanks for checking in. Havent had an update in a while cause really theres not much to report. The garden still trying to recover, but as soon as I see good progress wind/rain destroys it. I have kinda left the peppers to do thier thing, the potatoes, carrots, beans are all doing good. Up near the house in the containers the OW red Bhut is loading up getting ready to much ALOT of pods it look like. It doesnt look very good I was hoping for more foliage before they started fruiting but gonna let em set. The other (z. bird) is still pretty small but it has started fruiting to I even have some pods going! Been real busy with landscaping the new area, got 2 peach trees, 1 apple tree, and one cherry tree in the ground and found another apple and cherry last weekend to act as pollinators. I get some pics up tomorrow.

Happy 4th everyone

Sorry to here about the garden. I'm glad some things are doing well. At least the OW are
still kicking. If I end up with more pods then I know what to do with, I will be sending you them. I don't know how things will turn out on my end beings my plants lost all thee flowers and are in growth stage. Short season has me concerned.

Thanks and good luck

Chuck

As I said before not much to report but wanted to get some pics put in here. I did find a MAJOR score yesterday at Lowes. I had went there to get some corrugated pipe for our downspouts on the house. We have already lost two because of the winds here and with the rains recently we are getting some pooling up near the house. Figured I better get some pipe and bury the suckers so i dont have to deal with a problem later on..once and done right? Anyways I passed by the chain link fencing material and stopped to daydream a bit I noticed that the 5ft high fence 50ft roll was marked down from $65 to $20 bucks each. Really? $45 off per roll??? I thought that cant be right so i asked someone and he said yup we are discontinuing that item. Hell Yeah!! got 5 of them so that sould take care of a good portion of the fence cost right there :dance: .

The place is really starting to come to life out here, both good and bad. Last weekend I found a swarm of bees hanging out on our fence. They stayed for about half the day and then all took off at once, it was pretty cool. Seen some coyotes a few times late at night, and I'm loving the sound of the bullfrogs coaking at night. It sure is good to be back out on the plains. The downside is we are starting to spot some good sized bull snakes, so starting to take the shovel with me when going out to the garden. Damn I hate those effin things. 

Anyways here are some pics...

OW Bhut and Z. Bird
1.jpg

Buds on bhut
2.jpg

pods on Z. Bird
3.jpg

potatoes
4.jpg

beans
5.jpg

corn (a little behind schedule)
6.jpg

cucumbers (planted these at random just to see how they'd do..got 6 that came up
7.jpg

New Trees (harolson apple, black tartarian cherry, elberta peach, jullite peach)
8.jpg

BEES!!
9.jpg

Looking good. That's a great find on the fence. Used fence would cost the same. Plants are coming around. Ow bhut is getting bushy. Glad you've got some pods forming. Those bees are cool. I haven't seen bees in awhile around here. It's pretty sad. Have you been canning anything lately?

Runescape said:
Plants look neat...and thats a lot of bees lol...
Thanks Runescape! Just wish the other peppers made it

dash 2 said:
     Glad to hear things are greening up! Especially your OWs. Is the chain link fence (awesome deal!) going to be used to grow grapes as a windbreak? Do you plan on hilling your potatoes? Rotting leaves would be AQWESOME for that.
Chain link fence will be installed and wraped in wind screen to protect from the violent winds. Plan to do a 3 wire trellis for the grapes, got them in the ground this weekend, trellis to follow shortly. Still brainstorming.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good. That's a great find on the fence. Used fence would cost the same. Plants are coming around. Ow bhut is getting bushy. Glad you've got some pods forming. Those bees are cool. I haven't seen bees in awhile around here. It's pretty sad. Have you been canning anything lately?
Hey Chuck. Funny you should ask about canning we took a drive over to Longmont the weekend of the 28th in hopes of getting a box of cucumbers.  Longmont is where we moved from and they have one hellava farmers market over there. Unfortunatlly we made it over there late after my son did his mutton bustun over at the Greeley stampede and none were left. Oh well, I'm sure ill make it over there again soon. :D

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July

How have the last couple weeks been treating you? Hope things have started to dry out and come to live over there. And happy birthday. Look for a package headed your way early next wk.

Seacowboy said:
How have the last couple weeks been treating you? Hope things have started to dry out and come to live over there. And happy birthday. Look for a package headed your way early next wk.
Hey Jason,
Things have started to dry out over here and the weather has been pretty good.  The garden continues to strugle but I am really pleased to see quite a bit of peppers coming back to life. I may end up scooping them up and throwing them in my basement so I can at least get a pod or to of the rarer ones for seeds.  Been really busy around the house, finally got the fruit tree rows finished and 5 types of grapes in the ground, all seem to be doing pretty well so far. The plants up near the house have really started to take off and the OW has been pushing and dropping flowers for a while so no pods....yet. Did'nt notice I was so far behind on my last update need to get some pics in here. Thanks for the birthday wishes and the gift. Hope all is treating you well on the open waters and the fishing is good this year. 

Cheers!

Glad to here your staying busy. Congrats on getting the fruit trees and grapes in the ground. I need to get some raspberries planted this year. Need to plant some things that come up every year on there own. Don't feel bad, still dropping flowers here as well. Need some cooler day temps I think.

Thanks for sharing

Glad to here your staying busy. Congrats on getting the fruit trees and grapes in the ground. I need to get some raspberries planted this year. Need to plant some things that come up every year on there own. Don't feel bad, still dropping flowers here as well. Need some cooler day temps I think.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks Chuck, it has been busy but glad to have them all done, although it looks like I may end up loosing an apple tree, its not looking to good these days not sure what i did different that made it start dieing off. Oh well will wait and see I would say that if i loose one i still have a pretty good sucess rate. I had some rasberries at my old place and they grow like crazy. I heard somewhere that you need to make sure where you want them because once you plant them its very hard to get rid of them but not sure. I had some blackberries and rasberries this season but they all died in the winds. I preper to get the thorned ones, though its more a pain to harvest it keeps the critters at bay.

Hey Tony everything is growing slow here too. All the rain, cold nights and cool days i have pods setting on my milder ones but nothing yet for supers
Great to see your still on the map, did you end up ammend the soil at your new place. I think your gonna be in the same boat as me now that your in your new place its gonna be a while to get the garden just as you want it. Glad to hear your getting some fruit this year tho.

Back